Boston Hospital refuses Heart transplants on Un-vaccinated patients..

This person has made their medical decision so than it is up to what the hospital and doctors to make a medical decision on the situation and they did just that. There really isn't much else to be said. The two made their decisions and that was the outcome.
I think the hospital was within their rights to refuse the heart transplant. Perhaps this will be an incentive for him to get vaccinated during a deadly worldwide pandemic. Every gray cloud has a silver lining.

Time these people got off their high horses and stopped pointing their self righteous fingers at the unvaccinated, many of who'm have far more genuine reasons for their refusal.

It is NOT JUST THE UNVACCINATED TO BLAME FOR THE SPREAD OF COVID !!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
First of all, the only legitimate reason for someone to refuse a vaccination for the COVID-19 virus would be a medical reason, validated and documented by their physician. Secondly, no matter how frantically you shout it, it will not make it true. The majority of people who are hospitalized, taking up beds and ventilators, and further stressing our already drained medical system are those who are unvaccinated. It is the unvaccinated who are mostly dying from this deadly pandemic and spreading the virus to others.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#rates-by-vaccine-status Look at this link to see the chart.

Summary

• People who were unvaccinated had a greater risk of testing positive for COVID-19 and a greater risk of dying from COVID-19 than people who were fully vaccinated (see below for the most recent rates).
  • Unvaccinated people in all age groups had higher case and death rates than fully vaccinated people in the same age groups.
  • Case and death rates for people fully vaccinated with any of the three vaccine types (Moderna, Pfizer-BioNTech, Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen) were much lower than for unvaccinated people.
  • People who were fully vaccinated with an additional or booster dose had lower case rates compared with those without an additional or booster dose. Both of these groups had much lower risk of testing positive for COVID-19 and a lower risk of dying from COVID-19 compared with people who were unvaccinated.
    • People ages 65 and older had a larger overall benefit from receiving an additional or booster dose, compared with those 50-64 years.

https://hive.rochesterregional.org/2021/12/can-covid-be-spread-by-someone-who-has-been-vaccinated
The numbers don’t lie. The majority of COVID-19 patients who are currently hospitalized are unvaccinated. More than 200 million individuals in the United States alone have received the COVID-19 vaccine, preventing the vast majority from infection and nearly all from severe illness, hospitalization, and death.

Yet there is still an argument being made that unvaccinated and vaccinated individuals are at equal risk of contracting COVID-19 and spreading it to others.

I have intentionally kept quiet on the Covid forums, but I do resent the fact that some hospitals can't admit heart attack patients and those who have other severe issues because of the beds taken up by unvaccinated Covid patients. Elective surgeries are also being canceled. That may mean someone with something like skin cancer that may lead to death. Can't wait for all the negative responses.

And what if he is one of the minority for whom the Covid vaccine causes heart problems?
And if you don’t believe they can look it up....
As someone who is reluctantly fully vaccinated against a virus with a greater than 99 % recovery rate i despair at demonisation of those who choose not to be.

It would seem to be a waste of a good heart to try to transplant it into a patient which had minimal chances of survival. If being unvaccinated makes such a medical procedure unlikely to succeed, the doctors made the right decision.

Personally, I think that if an unvaccinated person shows up at a hospital, with Covid, they should be given a free bottle of aspirin, and sent on their way.
Sounds good to me!

You obviously did not fully read what they are saying. They stated clearly that a heart transplant patient regardless of the age if they do not have the vaccine are much more likely to die after the procedure from Covid then from anything related to the transplant itself. So in that case it is much wiser to give the heart to someone who is vaccinated that will more than likely not pass away from Covid. That is what the hospitals decision was based on and not pure discrimination.
I read it and I understand what they are saying! But it seems like more of the same propaganda that has propelled us to this. How on earth did the human race survive before vaccines? It seems to me that someone ill in the hospital in need of a heart transplant is not the best candidate for a seamless vaccination from all I've read. Wouldn't help if he got tachycardia from the vaccine would it? or perocharditis.

I have intentionally kept quiet on the Covid forums, but I do resent the fact that some hospitals can't admit heart attack patients and those who have other severe issues because of the beds taken up by unvaccinated Covid patients. Elective surgeries are also being canceled. That may mean someone with something like skin cancer that may lead to death. Can't wait for all the negative responses.
You make a good point, no negativity here. Have you seen any statistics on this? Just wondering how prevalent the problem is.

Exactly! If a donar was unvaccinated they don't turn away those organs.
If an unvaccinated heart is good enough to use, an unvaccinated recipient should be good enough to receive a heart.
I recently became acquainted with a man who had a kidney transplant from a dead donor. He said he now has three kidneys, as the docs put in the new one w/out taking out his own diseased one. He was able to move to the top of the list because he was willing to accept a damaged kidney. The one he got had HepC. He did eventually have HepC, but it is now curable for many people. He is an older guy.

Your interesting comment on getting diseased organs reminded me of this.

I recently became acquainted with a man who had a kidney transplant from a dead donor. He said he now has three kidneys, as the docs put in the new one w/out taking out his own diseased one. He was able to move to the top of the list because he was willing to accept a damaged kidney. The one he got had HepC. He did eventually have HepC, but it is now curable for many people. He is an older guy.

Your interesting comment on getting diseased organs reminded me of this.
Yes I can see how such could happen, but an unvaccinated donor who tests negative for Covid and has healthy organs, the recipient could still get covid, vaccinated or not. And it's doubtful they would survive considering even a cold could be deadly.

I thought all donor organs or donors were tested for Disease! Their not??

I completely agree, and in fact I started another thread saying exactly the same thing. (Thread has apparently been removed.) When all the hospital beds are being taken up by unvaccinated people with Covid, that starts to impact everybody else. It even impacts other unvaccinated people! Yesterday's paper quoted a doctor in one of those overwhelmed hospitals, asking people not to plan to schedule surgery for themselves, unless they are in a life-threatening situation.

Getting back to the original question, of course the hospital was within their rights. Hospitals make decisions to do transplants (or not) as a routine matter, every day.

But I think there are situations where patients can refuse a certain medication or procedure, based on religious principles. Isn't there a branch of Christianity that refuses blood transfusions?

Of course, most of the anti-vaxxers do not say their refusal is based on religion.

I completely agree, and in fact I started another thread saying exactly the same thing. (Thread has apparently been removed.) When all the hospital beds are being taken up by unvaccinated people with Covid, that starts to impact everybody else. It even impacts other unvaccinated people! Yesterday's paper quoted a doctor in one of those overwhelmed hospitals, asking people not to plan to schedule surgery for themselves, unless they are in a life-threatening situation.

Getting back to the original question, of course the hospital was within their rights. Hospitals make decisions to do transplants (or not) as a routine matter, every day.

But I think there are situations where patients can refuse a certain medication or procedure, based on religious principles. Isn't there a branch of Christianity that refuses blood transfusions?

Of course, most of the anti-vaxxers do not say their refusal is based on religion.
Well, I still believe doctors are under moral obligation to save lives, and should not be able to "pick and choose" whose life they consider worthy of saving.

I read it and I understand what they are saying! But it seems like more of the same propaganda that has propelled us to this. How on earth did the human race survive before vaccines? It seems to me that someone ill in the hospital in need of a heart transplant is not the best candidate for a seamless vaccination from all I've read. Wouldn't help if he got tachycardia from the vaccine would it? or perocharditis.
Let me put it to you this way. If you had a relative on this heart transplant list and they have been waiting quite some time as many of these patients do and there is this patient that is ahead of your loved one that they tell you he is going to get a heart , but chances are he is going to die because he refuses to get the Covid vaccine and out the window goes that heart. How would you feel if you were that person waiting all that time for the heart or that close family member knowing the chances are much higher for that heart to save your life and give you or your love one a chance at living a much longer life?

I find it shocking that any SF members would call an anti-vaxer..."Stupid" (posts #2 and #5).
I'm vaccinated but would never judge others nor label anyone "stupid" who has their own reasons.
And there ARE other reasons...

According to Experts, there are a Variety of Reasons Why People Refuse Vaccines:

...Lack of access to vaccines

...Concern about the vaccines’ side effects

...Little trust in the vaccines or the institutions behind them

...Don't trust the Media, the Polls, the numbers

...A refusal to see Covid-19 as a threat

...Belief in at least one of several different conspiracy theories

...And of course Medical reasons

Just like the F-Word, please just take "Stupid" out of your vocabulary because it makes You sound stupid.
(notice I said "sound stupid"...I didn't call you stupid...rather, lacking vocabulary and tact perhaps)
`

Last edited:
I find it shocking that any SF members would call an anti-vaxer..."Stupid". I'm vaccinated but would never judge others nor label anyone who has their own reasons. And there ARE other reasons.

According to Experts, there are a Variety of Reasons Why People Refuse Vaccines:

...Lack of access to vaccines

...Concern about the vaccines’ side effects

...Little trust in the vaccines or the institutions behind them

...Don't trust the Media, the Polls, the numbers based on history

...A refusal to see Covid-19 as a threat

...Belief in at least one of several different conspiracy theories

...And of course Medical reasons

Just like the F-Word, please just take "Stupid" out of your vocabulary because it makes you sound Stupid.
(notice I said "sound stupid"...I didn't say you are stupid...rather, lacking vocabulary and tact)
`
Most people don't have your integrity. And some have no other way to feel good about themselves.
Some people who chose to be vaccinated lack confidence in the vaccine themselves & take out their frustrations on those who made a different choice.

I feel anyone can make their point without using any of these types of remarks. These sorts of statements are basically used in a forum context for one reason only and that is to ruffle feathers. That is basically the reason. They really don't add much to the debate at all and the point could definitely get made in a much more productive way in my opinion.

I feel anyone can make their point without using any of these types of remarks. These sorts of statements are basically used in a forum context for one reason only and that is to ruffle feathers. That is basically the reason. They really don't add much to the debate at all and the point could definitely get made in a much more productive way in my opinion.
True. Also for some it's a type of bullying and they feel they are superior by trying to make their victims seem uneducated.

Education has very little to do with intelligence.

Back