Bringing back mask wearing?

As you probably already know thousands of so called 'scientific studies' have been done since COVID. Most of the science based studies done early on verified that masks do not work against viruses. Then it started to shift, when they took into consideration about mask stopping 'water droplets' carrying virus that were stopped by wearing masks. But no where can I find if it was determined how often water droplets were the cause of virus transmission. They just all jumped from no to yes, when it should have been from no to sometimes...below is a scientific study from early on that is typical of the early science available.

"The study is perhaps the best scientific evidence to date on the efficacy of masks."
The link to your study is to the New York Times. You must have a subscription to read it.

My only interest is that many people are wearing masks in fear, based on a false narrative! Nothing more, if you like wearing masks go for it, but don't tell lies as to why you are wearing them...
Nobody “likes” wearing a mask. I wear one mainly because my personal doctor recommends it. He also wears one. I trust him. He has a medical degree ! I don’t. Neither do nearly all of the people on these forums who read all of stuff on the internet.

Hmmm. Interesting. It's probably the difference between surgical masks and the N95s. I do recall a point where the guidelines started specifying N95s for Covid after testing both types against Covid.
Yes, when the Omicron variant emerged, the CDC said that better masks were needed and they recommended N95s or KN 95s . I stocked up

The only place that I aware that mask wearing is mandatory is in a medical facility or doctor's office.
Not even there anymore in Maryland. I went to make my annual appointment with my ophthalmologist and noticed that they no longer required masks for patients or staff. I cancelled and made one elsewhere.

There are many "elderly" residents in my area (including me!! LOLOL) Although masks are not mandatory in the stores, I still put on a mask when shopping (in consideration of the elderly shoppers).

I could not find a date for the study, other than it was reported on a Wednesday, but maybe someone could point me to the actual date. The report does point out that it conflicts with a number of other studies, but it doesn't say what those numbers are, suggesting that it is not the best scientific evidence, most current, or most definitive:

But it clearly points out that it does not contradict growing evidence that "masks can prevent transmission of the virus from wearer to others," which is rather important during a pandemic:

At this time there is no law that prevents people from wearing masks or not wearing them. And when states enacted such requirements, they were seldom enforced, and I don't know of any proscribed penalties for not wearing them would have been. At least in Virginia where I live there never was any enforcement. And at this time, with the the less deadly strain of Delta, I have a hard time understanding the fuss.
Death isn’t the only concern. One out of 5 people ages 60 and up infected with Covid, winds up with “ long covid”… symptoms that can be debilitating that may last months, years or even indefinitely. I personally know people who still cannot smell or taste even now, after getting Covid early on in the pandemic.

Not even there anymore in Maryland. I went to make my annual appointment with my ophthalmologist and noticed that they no longer required masks for patients or staff. I cancelled and made one elsewhere.
I made my annual appointment with my ophthalmologist and was delighted to find out I didn't have to wear a mask.

That's the way it should be, IMO. We should all have the opportunity to go where we can exercise our freedoms in the way we choose.

The only mask requirements around here are in hospitals. I have seen a sign in occasional stores requesting that customers who are not vaccinated wear a mask. We have a vaccinated friend who wears a mask when she is out of her apartment so she won’t need to put on makeup. (-8

Not on my box

3M N95s available nationwide for consumers and for essential workers
"As we have throughout the pandemic, 3M is committed to making sure everyone who needs an N95 has access," said Raymond Eby, President of 3M's Personal Safety Division. "3M's N95 respirators are NIOSH-approved and filter out at least 95% of airborne particles, including those that may contain viruses."
If you put on a N95 and spray perfume, if you smell it. Then the mask will not protect you from viruses.

Nobody “likes” wearing a mask. I wear one mainly because my personal doctor recommends it. He also wears one. I trust him. He has a medical degree ! I don’t. Neither do nearly all of the people on these forums who read all of stuff on the internet.
My fired doctor had a medical degree, but for the life of him he can't draw blood if his life depended on it.
He would stick the needle in your arm and wiggle it around to hopefully catch the vein. When I told him
that that is not the way to do it. He pointed to his "medical degree" on the wall in his exam room and
said " I'm the doctor". I replied with " and I am the patient, and I am feeling what your doing, and it is not the right way". I told him I wanted his nurse to draw the blood. I never went back to him.
So a medical degree means nothing if you don't know something or how to do something the right way.

Last edited:
I made my annual appointment with my ophthalmologist and was delighted to find out I didn't have to wear a mask.

That's the way it should be, IMO. We should all have the opportunity to go where we can exercise our freedoms in the way we choose.
Mask requirements were required not only to protect you, but also to protect others from you. The protect others motive seems reasonable. BTW, in California all automobile occupants over 8 years old are required to wear a seat belt. Under 8 there are of course other requirements. One of our neighbors frequently forgot to wear her belt and became the target of a local cop at 20 bucks a ticket.

If you put on a N95 and spray perfume, if you smell it. Then the mask will not protect you from viruses.
From Healthcare.utah.edu

What are some face mask falsehoods?​

I've heard people say that they can smell things through a mask, so that means they are ineffective against coronavirus. This shows a lack of understanding. It's about particle size and pore size of a mask. A mask is going to have holes in between the fabric weave. It's like saying a BB can go through a volleyball net, so that must mean the volleyball net is ineffective for volleyballs or basketballs. A smell molecule is going to go through a mask because it's a very small particle size. Molecules make up proteins, and proteins make up viruses, and viruses will glob together. That will not get through a mask as easily.

Dr. (not a medical doctor) John Campbell has a financial incentive to promote crazy conspiracy theories...
In early 2020 Campbell's YouTube channel started to focus on the developing COVID-19 pandemic. Until then, his videos had been receiving an average of several thousand views each, but his channel began to receive significant traffic after it started running COVID-related videos. Between February and March 2020, his channel increased from an average of 500,000 views per month to 9.6 million, mostly from American viewers. By September 2020, his videos had been viewed more than 50 million times.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Campbell_(YouTuber)
No he doesn't. He's written medical books but doesn't sell them, they're free to anyone who asks for one. His medical lectures are free, and you don't even have to subscribe to his channel. But subscribing is free. There are zero ads on his videos because he refuses sponsorship.

No, Dr. Campbell has no financial incentive for sharing the verifiable data, discoveries, and information that he presents on his channel.

Having a medical degree does not mean a doctor is always right.
Dr. Conrad Murray has a medical degree, too. So do all the doctors who keep celebrities addicted to drugs. So do all the doctors who caused the opioid epidemic.

Having a medical degree does not mean a doctor is always right.
Dr. Conrad Murray has a medical degree, too. So do all the doctors who keep celebrities addicted to drugs. So do all the doctors who caused the opioid epidemic.
When their jobs are threatened for telling the truth about the pandemic, masks and vaccines I would say a doctor's opinion then becomes questionable. I mean, it's up for sale.

There are many "elderly" residents in my area (including me!! LOLOL) Although masks are not mandatory in the stores, I still put on a mask when shopping (in consideration of the elderly shoppers).
LOL.. that's you and us... :ROFLMAO:...today I had to fill in a form for meds.. it said to tick an age group... it went from very young to 45-50.. 55-65... ''Over 65 Elderly...''...I was like...Jeez gerroveryourselves

We've litigated the mask issue at length in other threads. At that time the best science was showing that wearing a mask if you are sick can reduce the risk to others. However if you are not sick the results were equivocal, but not strong evidence that mask wearing would protect you. I believe that is where we still are today.

So I wear a mask anytime I have a communicable illness and go out in public. I see it as a common curtesy to others and appreciate it when others do the same. If I am not sick I don't wear a mask, unless I am somewhere its required. And those requirements seem to be mostly gone.

When their jobs are threatened for telling the truth about the pandemic, masks and vaccines I would say a doctor's opinion then becomes questionable. I mean, it's up for sale.
How do you know they’re telling the truth? This is what I just don’t understand. Why do you believe people online? Dr. campbell is an educator. He has a Phd, not an MD. It’s all very sad to me that a pandemic has become a political statement.

No he doesn't. He's written medical books but doesn't sell them, they're free to anyone who asks for one. His medical lectures are free, and you don't even have to subscribe to his channel. But subscribing is free. There are zero ads on his videos because he refuses sponsorship.

No, Dr. Campbell has no financial incentive for sharing the verifiable data, discoveries, and information that he presents on his channel.
I just took a look at one of his videos and it had an ad on it. He's become a millionaire by spreading false information and crazy conspiracy theories. And he's not a medical doctor; he has a PhD in education.

I prefer to get my science from scientists and my medical advice from doctors. But it's a free country. People can believe whatever they want.

I just took a look at one of his videos and it had an ad on it. He's become a millionaire by spreading false information and crazy conspiracy theories. And he's not a medical doctor; he has a PhD in education.

I prefer to get my science from scientists and my medical advice from doctors. But it's a free country. People can believe whatever they want.
I've never seen an ad on his videos, and I've watched him almost daily for about 2 1/2 years. Maybe YouTube runs ads before and after his videos, but youtubers don't get squat for those. But I haven't seen any of those, either. I click on one of his videos and go directly to him saying "Well, warm welcome to today's talk," and that's it.

Ben, Dr. Campbell doesn't do opinion pieces. Except for his medical lectures (which also aren't based on opinion), his posts are about recent findings according to one scientific journal or another, as well as new stuff he finds on national and global medical and health websites such as the NIH, CDC, WHO and others, and he always posts links to those findings, studies, data, everything he references, so that viewers can go check it out themselves to make sure he didn't put any kind of slant on anything. He never has. He just rattles off the findings and shows the charts and whatnot.

He might express an opinion about a study that he thinks wasn't conducted thoroughly, or a political person who spoke up on a medical matter without knowledge of the facts, but that's it. And he always says "That's my opinion; check the links and decide for yourself."

Last edited:

Back