Bulletproof Backpacks

Don M.

SF VIP
On our local news, this evening, they said that the Hottest item for this years upcoming school season is Bulletproof Backpacks, and that the stores are selling them as fast as they can get them.
What a SAD commentary on our society when parents are spending $150, or more, to try to offer their school children some added degree of safety against the lunatics that are running loose on our streets.

It's indeed a sad commentary on our times that the unthinkable has become a possibility. The message we are sending children is that we can't guarantee their safety, so we will give them active shooter drills, teach them to duck and cover, and perhaps Mom and Dad will provide a little body armor...

Bulletproof backpacks only protect against handguns
Bulletproof backpacks aren’t rifle-proof, Curren said. They can only protect against bullets from handguns and pistols, which typically aren’t as strong as rifles. Mass shooters increasingly seem to prefer rifles like the AR-15, making bulletproof backpacks potentially less useful.

The reason behind this comes down to practicality.
The Kevlar-like material several companies use to produce bulletproof backpacks is categorized as “Level 3A” by the National Institute of Justice (NIJ),the research, development and product testing wing of the U.S. Justice Department.
That means the material is considered a soft body armor, which isn’t resistant to all bullets. But it’s also considerably lighter, making bulletproof backpacks comparable to regular backpacks in terms of weight. Bulletproof backpacksaren’t made with stronger ballistic-resistant hard plates because they would be too heavy to wear, Curran says — that’s especially true for small children.

And expensive:

1D290E82-2ACB-4E6B-BA5D-58DB76025B4D.jpeg

what's next,bullet proof lunch trays?
giphy.gif

Maybe the companies producing these (so-called) bullet-proof back-packs are also affiliated with the NRA. Sounds like a win-win for that group. Pump out the most effective killing equipment and sell the protective devices to counter it. What a fxxxxxg joke this country is turning into.:(

I just came across them in a catalog. They are the real deal. "Weighing only slightly more than standard backpacks, they are lined with armor, tested and certified for level IIIA protection against .44 magnum and 9mm ammunition." Lightweight: $119.00 & Proshield II: $179.99.

Maybe the companies producing these (so-called) bullet-proof back-packs are also affiliated with the NRA. Sounds like a win-win for that group. Pump out the most effective killing equipment and sell the protective devices to counter it. What a fxxxxxg joke this country is turning into.:(

Good point, DaveA. That occurred to me also as soon as I saw this. Sell the weapons, create the fear, then sell the backpacks to provide the illusion of protection. Their shareholders must love it!

The expensive bulletproof backpacks are just an opportunity to take advantage of a volatile time IMO.
The school shootings that have occurred up til now have been in classrooms mostly. .. Kids, for the most part, bring those backpacks to school and put them in their lockers.
In this area, the high schools are requiring see-thru backpacks for all students this year.
But if someone has an agenda, they can work around anything.

The expensive bulletproof backpacks are just an opportunity to take advantage of a volatile time IMO.
The school shootings that have occurred up til now have been in classrooms mostly. .. Kids, for the most part, bring those backpacks to school and put them in their lockers.
In this area, the high schools are requiring see-thru backpacks for all students this year.
But if someone has an agenda, they can work around anything.

I agree the bad guy will always have the element of surprise and will always be able to pick the time and place that is best for him.

We can't protect kids from every possible scenario all we can do is teach them how to evaluate a situation and make good choices based on the information that they have at the time.

I see the use of these backpacks as just another way our species adapts and thrives in adverse conditions. I disagree with those who see conspiracy issues concerning the manufacturers and the NRA, gun makers, and other such nonsense.

Trouble is, no sooner will the majority of kids have these backpacks, then the mass killers will start using bullets, in their handguns, that have been tested and shown to penetrate such protection. I can't imagine such testing will get any publicity, but one never knows.

Sick world, sick species!

That means the material is considered a soft body armor, which isn’t resistant to all bullets. But it’s also considerably lighter, making bulletproof backpacks comparable to regular backpacks in terms of weight. Bulletproof backpacksaren’t made with stronger ballistic-resistant hard plates because they would be too heavy to wear, Curran says — that’s especially true for small children.

I remember my son telling me that the body armor they wore in Iraq had ceramic plates and weighed 30 lbs. And that a lot of soldiers had back problems from having to wear that plus carry all their other gear. In addition all it was good for was one round from a rifle. That would weaken it so that the next round would go through.

And if you are shot while wearing armor the bullets don't just bounce off of you harmlessly like you are Superman.

The impact is still going to knock a grown man on his ass and probably break a couple of ribs.

I'd say these backpacks are just a money making scam.

Last edited:

Back