"Chinese virus - " yes or no?

I think this is why it is a mistake to name viruses after countries or other localities

The controversy over how people should refer to COVID-19 grew when President Trump stood by calling it the “Chinese virus” in late March. He later changed his decision on the name after a public uproar saying it was harmful toward Asian Americans, who have experienced an increase in racist attacks since the virus’ spread.

COVID 19 might not mean much to us now but it is systematic and will make better sense when people look back on this pandemic.

Place of origin helps but to me the real issue was this manufactured by nature or man. Deal with individuals or country down the road but now details about the virus are needed.

I think this is why it is a mistake to name viruses after countries or other localities

COVID 19 might not mean much to us now but it is systematic and will make better sense when people look back on this pandemic.

Why?....many /most viruses are named after the location of origin. Rocky mountain spotted fever for instance. Lime disease , from the Lime Rock region of Conn. Norovirus, named after Norwalk, Oh.... Not unusual at all......and 'normal' when ya think about it.

China is a huge place. I think "Wuhan" Virus is more appropriate. And as to Chinese-Americans - let's just be nice to everyone - or at least not blame them for something they had nothing to do with. Heard report that most of the NYC cases came from Europe, anyway.

China is a huge place. I think "Wuhan" Virus is more appropriate. And as to Chinese-Americans - let's just be nice to everyone - or at least not blame them for something they had nothing to do with. Heard report that most of the NYC cases came from Europe, anyway.

It is not being "un-nice" to the Chinese Americans, anymore than calling the Norovirus was to being "un-nice" to Ohioans. Or....once again, the Rocky Mountain spotted fever was to the folks in that region.

It is not being "un-nice" to the Chinese Americans, anymore than calling the Norovirus was to being "un-nice" to Ohioans. Or....once again, the Rocky Mountain spotted fever was to the folks in that region.
My point was that I think 'point of origin,' if known, is important. And Chinese-Americans have reported being harassed because the virus stemmed from a locale in their ancestral home.

My point was that I think 'point of origin,' if known, is important. And Chinese-Americans have reported being harassed because the virus stemmed from a locale in their ancestral home.
The point of origin is indeed known - or at least suspected (by Americans). Why does it need to be in the title of the virus? Let's not forget that Chinese leaders are responding with an accusation that Americans brought it over there. Imagine if they convinced the WHO to call it The American Virus?

Calling it "the Chinese virus" is a thinly shielded blame-game that certain politicians love to play. Each side responds by upping the ante.
Little boys playing, "Not IT!" instead of working the problem. Their nonsense is distracting, non-productive, destructive and exhausting.

Respected scientists and serious leaders don't waste time with this kind of nonsense.

...Calling it "the Chinese virus" is a thinly shielded blame-game that certain politicians love to play. Each side responds by upping the ante.
Little boys playing, "Not IT!" instead of working the problem. Their nonsense is distracting, non-productive, destructive and exhausting...
Very much true throughout history, which is written by the victors, they say - and flipped by everyone else involved.
https://www.history.com/news/why-was-it-called-the-spanish-flu

We do have a right to know just how and where this virus originated. If it is the result of interfering with nature, as is so often the case, then we need to know. However, venting your anger on innocents is childish and pointless. Let's show a bit of maturity.

We do have a right to know just how and where this virus originated. If it is the result of interfering with nature, as is so often the case, then we need to know. However, venting your anger on innocents is childish and pointless. Let's show a bit of maturity.

If I could tell you with absolute certainty this virus originated on the moon, would you be satisfied or frustrated you no longer have someone to blame (am I being childish asking?)?

If I could tell you with absolute certainty this virus originated on the moon, would you be satisfied or frustrated you no longer have someone to blame (am I being childish asking?)?
Yes, you are being petty, because this virus is affecting the whole world. We do need to know how it originated because, apart from anything else, knowing its origins will surely help with finding a vaccine.
I'm not looking to blame anyone, so don't nitpick!

I agree with Bill Maher, if it originated in China there is no harm in saying so. To give it that name though, to cause discrimination against the Chinese people, in this case it has caused resentment against Chinese Americans in some cases, that is not right and in general conversation it should be referred to as the Novel Coronavirus, or COVID-19.

Does anyone think the "Spanish Flu" should have been referred to as the "Kansas Flu" or the "American Flu". This flu was a long time ago, and I've only read about it with this in mind recently.

https://www.historylink.org/File/20300

Last edited:
I prefer CCP Virus. First saw someone use it on this forum. When I looked it up, I read that Chinese national dissidents agree. It puts blame for the scale of the pandemic right where it belongs...on the Chinese Communist Party that lied to covered up, persecuted those trying to get the truth past censorss until it finally blew the hell up on them. Think of how different things might be in the world today had the Chinese government behaved ethically

I prefer CCP Virus. First saw someone use it on this forum. When I looked it up, I read that Chinese national dissidents agree. It puts blame for the scale of the pandemic right where it belongs...on the Chinese Communist Party that lied to covered up, persecuted those trying to get the truth past censorss until it finally blew the hell up on them. Think of how different things might be in the world today had the Chinese government behaved ethically

Does that make you feel better, apportioning blame without any quarter given?

Carry on, it won't make a blind bit of difference, but what may make a difference is the openers of the Chinese government when the seriousness of the infection was accepted by them.

Back