Countdown to the Russian invasion of Ukraine

Irwin

The US has warned of the “very distinct possibility” of a Russian invasion of Ukraine in the next few days, potentially involving an overwhelming attack on Kyiv, and told all remaining Americans to leave the country in the next 48 hours.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/feb/11/biden-ukraine-us-russian-invasion-winter-olympics

"Experts" predicted that Putin was going to wait until after the Olympics were over before invading Ukraine as a show of solidarity with China. Looks like he may not wait.

From a purely self-centered point of view, these events are fascinating. We could be witnessing the beginning of a major war.

From an empathetic towards our allies in Ukraine point of view, I'd like to see the U.S. do more to help them. We are supplying them with plenty of arms, but there's no way it's going to be enough to stop Russia. I don't know what the answer is.

Just how crazy is Putin? He's not averse to murdering or jailing his opponents.

It seems to me the only way to stop Putin is for U.S. and Ukraine allies from around the world to send troops to Ukraine and make it a battle between Russia and the world, which would be suicide for Putin.

History shows that these acts of aggression need to be stopped at the beginning before they get out of control. While the EU is threatening sanctions against Russia should they invade, that's not going to change anything other than the people of Russia will suffer and since Putin controls the news media to a great extent, it will increase animosity by the people of Russia towards the west.

On the Nightly News tonight, a 24 year old American guy that is a teacher in Ukraine was interviewed and he said he's not leaving. I guess if you're 24, you have a different outlook on life. I can vaguely remember being 24 and when I look back on that time in my life, I was fearless. I hadn't lived long enough to be otherwise. Hope he stays safe.

Previous speculation had it that simultaneous invasions of Ukraine and China->Taiwan would occur after the Olympics. That seems like a real possibility since Russia and China appear to be jointly teaming up against the US. Other than supplying Ukraine and Taiwan with weapons, we would seem to be without much in the way of recourse. Sending in our own armed forces, or involving NATO, could result in a war with Russia, China, or both. Yikes, I hope not!

Short of that, in the case of Ukraine there have been hints that we would cut the oil and gas supply line from Russia to Europe. That seems impractical because Europe needs that fuel, and as an energy importer we are no longer able to help out in that regard. All in all, not a good situation, and likely the end of the United States as the #1 world power.

Well Headlines today say it;s ON. ..and it's happening Wednesday...
Russia is planning to invade Ukraine on Wednesday, a credible intelligence report has claimed, as US President Joe Biden urgently arranged a telephone call with Vladimir Putin on Saturday in a bid to prevent war.

According to German newspaper Der Spiegel, the US Secret Service, CIA and the Pentagon are said to have received intel of an 'exceptionally detailed' invasion plan, scheduled for February 16.

The plans were passed on to Biden's government and discussed in a series of secret briefings with NATO allies.

They are said to contain specific routes that might be taken by individual Russian units and detail what roles they might play in the conflict.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...itons-Ukraine-commercial-means-available.html

Well Headlines today say it;s ON. ..and it's happening Wednesday...
Russia is planning to invade Ukraine on Wednesday, a credible intelligence report has claimed, as US President Joe Biden urgently arranged a telephone call with Vladimir Putin on Saturday in a bid to prevent war.

According to German newspaper Der Spiegel, the US Secret Service, CIA and the Pentagon are said to have received intel of an 'exceptionally detailed' invasion plan, scheduled for February 16.

The plans were passed on to Biden's government and discussed in a series of secret briefings with NATO allies.

They are said to contain specific routes that might be taken by individual Russian units and detail what roles they might play in the conflict.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...itons-Ukraine-commercial-means-available.html
Well blow me! It's in the Daily Mail, must be true......cough, cough.

It's the same ole' story. Billions of dollars to be made by those that build military killing weapons. Women, children and other innocent people going to be gassed or blown to pieces. The politicians who started it all will hide behind their computer screens while the young men will be killed. There is nothing glorious here and there are no good guys and there are no bad guys. The world is going mad. Covid19 madness will be replaced war madness. People just never learn.

If you think that shelves in your store are strangely empty, the price of motor fuel, the price of home heating and the price of groceries is going up you haven't seen anything. Wait until the war starts. Another World War will make the death toll from Covid19 look like peanuts. It will hardly be worth talking about anymore.

An intelligent test done at the end of WWI showed that 47% of soldiers were morons. This is from "The Untold History of the United States" by Oliver Stone and Peter Kuznick. By definition, a moron is "A person of mild mental retardation having a mental age of from 7 to 12 years and generally having communication and social skills enabling some degree of academic or vocational education. The term belongs to a classification system no longer in use and is now considered offensive." Remember, this test was done 104 years ago. I wonder what that test would show in 2022?

Short of that, in the case of Ukraine there have been hints that we would cut the oil and gas supply line from Russia to Europe. That seems impractical because Europe needs that fuel, and as an energy importer we are no longer able to help out in that regard.
I wonder if people who protested construction of the Keystone Pipeline are rethinking their position.

This all has a horribly familiar ring to it. A sociopathic dictator at the helm of a European country, intent on expanding his power, so he sends troops to invade his neighbors? Where have I heard that before?
Russia is an Asian country — not European, but yeah, it's not a good situation.

Russia is an Asian country — not European, but yeah, it's not a good situation.
Russia is both European and Asian.

"Russia spans territory in both Europe and Asia. More than three quarters of Russia's population lives in the European part of the country. The Ural Mountains and Ural River mark Europe's eastern continental border with Asia. The northern slopes of the Caucuses Mountains and the Turkish Straits mark Europe's southern continental border with Asia."

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/is-russia-in-europe-or-asia.html

Russia is both European and Asian.

"Russia spans territory in both Europe and Asia. More than three quarters of Russia's population lives in the European part of the country. The Ural Mountains and Ural River mark Europe's eastern continental border with Asia. The northern slopes of the Caucuses Mountains and the Turkish Straits mark Europe's southern continental border with Asia."

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/is-russia-in-europe-or-asia.html
You're right. My bad. And Moscow is in the European part of Russia.

It's the same ole' story. Billions of dollars to be made by those that build military killing weapons. Women, children and other innocent people going to be gassed or blown to pieces. The politicians who started it all will hide behind their computer screens while the young men will be killed. There is nothing glorious here and there are no good guys and there are no bad guys. The world is going mad. Covid19 madness will be replaced war madness. People just never learn.

If you think that shelves in your store are strangely empty, the price of motor fuel, the price of home heating and the price of groceries is going up you haven't seen anything. Wait until the war starts. Another World War will make the death toll from Covid19 look like peanuts. It will hardly be worth talking about anymore.

An intelligent test done at the end of WWI showed that 47% of soldiers were morons. This is from "The Untold History of the United States" by Oliver Stone and Peter Kuznick. By definition, a moron is "A person of mild mental retardation having a mental age of from 7 to 12 years and generally having communication and social skills enabling some degree of academic or vocational education. The term belongs to a classification system no longer in use and is now considered offensive." Remember, this test was done 104 years ago. I wonder what that test would show in 2022?
The day after Pearl Harbor my dad, who was a licensed pilot, enlisted in the Army Air Corps. He was no moron! I served as an officer in the US Navy for 5 years, and I can assure you that the men I served with were not morons! The military screens all recruits with a so called AFQT -- Armed Forces Qualification Test, which is in reality an IQ test. Moronic IQ is defined as topping out at 69 or 70 -- well below minimum standards for service in the military.
"The US military has minimum enlistment standards at about the IQ 85 level. There have been two experiments with lowering this to 80 but in both cases these men could not master soldiering well enough to justify their costs.[112]"
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligence_quotient

Back