Dating after 50

Good idea or not? I found a lady on the dating site that contacted me and she has three boys of her's living with her and ages are 25,23,18 and wondering about dating. What could go wrong? She has been married 20 years and she said her husband cheated on her.

You just have to ask a lot of questions as you communicate, I don't mean like bombard her, just a question here and there.

My first questions along with some small-talk, are is your divorce final, and how long have you been on your own. For me it's important that someone isn't too needy, I mean that they have stood on their own for a time, and "want" to date, they don't feel a "need" to find someone. There's a lot OG, a lot to look for. I think it's good you share with us, because I think you can get some good support. Online, you have to be aware that the person you are talking to, may not be anything like that say they are, I mean I don't want to scare you but a person claiming to be a woman, may even be a man, or a totally young person.

You are hearing from her from Farmers right? That's a good site, among other reasons, scammers won't pay for memberships, I mean I doubt they would, but someone "working" to find a man or a woman to leach off of, yes, those kind of scammers are on paying sites. The way a person writes to you should tell a lot. Just exchange some email. If anything strikes you odd, ask us, lol, or someone, even the owners of the site;)

PS I mean email on Farmers mail, don't give out anything personal, no phone number, address, or real email, but you know that already, you mentioned it above. I know when you want to meet someone you can get really excited, but we have to be smart and not overlook things because we are interested;)

I got her from Farmer's dating site and I did give her my e-mail yahoo address which has been fixed to not give out my full name and cellphone number, my address has never been put on Yahoo's mail website.

The POF dating site is a joke and only got three contacts. Waste of money. I'm glad I only signed up for only two months.

I met my husband on a Christian Singles website. I was age 57 at the time, and had put from about 50-65 as age parameters. Mostly, I looked at the ones that were older than I was, and definitely NEVER at anyone who said they were looking for younger women (under 50). That just kind of said to me that looks and body were more important than what the actual person was like.
I wrote to a few that looked like possibilities; but didn't find anyone that I thought would be compatible.
Finally, I found this guy clear across the country from me. He didn't have horses, didn't live in the country (like I did); but he was a Christian with similar beliefs, managed a small rescue mission (so I knew he had a heart for helping people) and we started writing.
Eventually, I was going to change jobs, and in-between jobs seemed like a good time to go and visit; since he was at the mission 24 hrs. a day.
Well, I went to meet him, stayed, got married, and we have been together for over 13 years now. Neither one of us is perfect, but he is kind and gentle; treats me well, and is honest and faithful. For most things, we are pretty compatible, and I am definitely happier being married than I would be to still be living alone , and I believe that he is also.

So, it can happen, OG, you just have to keep trying, and eventually the right one will come along, assuming that your priorities are reasonable.

It's so good to hear a story like yours HF! When I was online dating, I limited myself to locations close by. I didn't want to move out of state or accross country.
So, old guy, if you are limiting yourself by location that might be why you aren't getting many matches.

It's so good to hear a story like yours HF! When I was online dating, I limited myself to locations close by. I didn't want to move out of state or accross country.
So, old guy, if you are limiting yourself by location that might be why you aren't getting many matches.

I cann't leave Tennessee because of my health insurance and I need to be by good hospitals and doctors. I have Diabetes on insulin and other medical conditions.

Sort of funny, sort of not, but.........one person can find out things about another person that could "turn them off" and the same goes the other way. Sorry about you medical conditions, but for some ladies, when they find this info out, could drive them off. Medical conditions or other things can drive the opposite sex away, once found out about.

Fortunately, when I met my wife, we were both 100% healthy.

I cann't leave Tennessee because of my health insurance and I need to be by good hospitals and doctors. I have Diabetes on insulin and other medical conditions.

Also remember OG that there are lots, tons of people not online that you can meet. I don't know whether you live in or out of town, but there is always something going on that you can attend to meet people. Especially meeting guys your age, can help to meet single, women friends too;)

If I cann't find someone that wants me with medical problems I will just stay single. I've had these medicals conditions for 13 years now.

I do hope someone is out there to share your heart. In the meantime, stay here with us. Friends are nice too :D

I met my second husband in a club. I went with a married couple and enjoyed the live entertainment, met the owners. It was a club where the country entertainers went after the other clubs closed to Jam. Pictures of country singers were all over the walls. I asked the owners about coming back for the music. The bouncer always walked me to the door or to my car if it was parked where he could not see it. I did not drink or dance, guys would buy me a drink which was 7 up, but they never bothered me. When my husband asked me to dance I said I did not know how....he talked me into trying a slow dance. From that time on he would drive by to see if my car was there, if not he would go to another club. After 6 months of seeing him in the club I finally went on a date with him. We waited a year to marry and were married 33 years.

A bit of trivia from that year. A country singer named Ritchie something came to my table and told me he was going to another club for a 15 minute "gig" and asked me to wait until he got back so we could talk. Well, I was very flattered, but I left thinking being flattered was better than what might have happened later. LOL

I loved going for dance lessons on Friday nights at a country place up in Portland. They called it Bushwackers. What a blast. My friend Sally and I went every Friday, took the lesson from 7-9, then hoped we'd get asked to dance, lol. The guys that danced were really very good, and I think they looked for gals that knew how as well. After awhile of lessons we finally started getting asked;) I was in my 50's then and Sally was approaching 60. We really had great times, didn't drink, and left when things started getting too rowdy for us, LOL!! I'd take lessons again, some sort, and plan to when I get settled;)

After my husband and I married we went the VFW and there was no trouble there at all. Then we went to a very large place to see one of the well know stars...............Now that was wild, drunks staggering all over the place, I would never go to a place like that alone. WOW! My thoughts on that was the people who went the VFW went regularly and had learned to control their drinking, they went to be with friends and to dance.

After my husband and I married we went the VFW and there was no trouble there at all. Then we went to a very large place to see one of the well know stars...............Now that was wild, drunks staggering all over the place, I would never go to a place like that alone. WOW! My thoughts on that was the people who went the VFW went regularly and had learned to control their drinking, they went to be with friends and to dance.

I'm with you, I'm way passed the wild joints, Bushwackers was a nice place, it's just after some guys had a few drinks they could get too forward, didn't like that, plus it filled up with smoke since it was before they passed the non-smoking law up here. Now if I went, it would be with groups of Seniors/VFW type places. The place I plan to retire is a "senior" type town, very small, and tons of goings-on for us older folk. Lots of other things as well, for families, kids etc.

Yes, my wife, on our second date, was pretty impressed at how good I was at doing a 2-Step (regular and fast) and Texas Swing. Her niece, who was also big into Country dancing, was also impressed with my dancing skills. I had rhythm on the dancefloor, which really helps when it comes to dancing. Another type of dancing I done quite a bit of was Square Dancing. But, when the rodeo season started back up, only three places a person could find me........at work and home during the week and on weekends, at rodeo's.

Back