Dating after 50

I think that's a good idea Georgia. I admit I did the same thing because I figured a guy that was already married would know the ropes, LOL!! I don't want to discourage you OG in any way though, because there are lots of folks you'll meet that stayed single, or never married. Many of our age-group lived together with no paperwork, it was all the rage right;) Also, My 50 year old nephew was single and he met a gal, married and they are doing so well;) She'd been married a couple of times, has 8 children, all grown and on their own, lol! I love being around my nephew and his wife, they are so good together, truly complement each other;)

About the never married part, that is why I said they will likely want ask about it and not to be offended if asked to elaborate on it. There are quite a few people that never married, but have had long-term loving or cohabitation relationships, in some states they even will consider the live-in ones, common law marriage if certain criteria are met.

I've been happily married for 45+ years, same women who's used to my faults. But, back in the 90's and early days of the internet I had access at my work and home. My duties were trouble shooting and resolving computer issues on the evening shifts. It was slow and how does the statement go 'Idle hands are the devil's workshop'. Long story short I ventured onto a few 'Pen Pal' sites. We couldn't do chat so it was strictly an email relationship. I tried not to limit myself to any particular sex, answering all queries.

Over time I found myself in questionable correspondences with 2 women about my age. One from UK and the other from Brisbane. What I thought were innocent daliances turned rather serious, I'm not saying I was a babe in woods but it almost got out of hand. Breaking off was not as easy as I remember now. I used to believe that my success was my witty banter rather than my looks or wealth. Since then I have looked with no luck for a way to make contact with them and apologize for my deceit and dishonesty.

Be yourself and hope that an honest long term relationship will develope.

I went on a dating site just see what it was all about. I was sorry the minute I hit submit with my $15.. I had lots of emails, but they all wanted me to use my own email and that was the first "do not" rule of the site. Finally one man used the site's email. He said all the things a woman wants to hear. We visited back and forth a few times, then he said he wanted to get to know me better. He sent me a list of 12 questions that he himself had answered in the email. I started answering them and when I got to the last two questions it was about my financial status. I did not answer the last two question just told him he was far to religious for me. I wish I had said "I live day to day on my soc sec" to see he stopped emailing me. LOL I will never marry again but it would be nice to have a male friend to go out to dinner with and do road trips with.

In my profile on Plenty of fish dating site I put I have never been married and I wonder if this is why lady's have not contacted me?

My profile is http://www.pof.com/viewprofile.aspx?profile_id=84458967

I think all the advice given here has been good. I could only add it may be the age group you requested: 27 year olds to 55 year olds. Your odds would increase in your own age group plus or minus 10 years, rather than plus one year and minus 27 years.

I think all the advice given here has been good. I could only add it may be the age group you requested: 27 year olds to 55 year olds. Your odds would increase in your own age group plus or minus 10 years, rather than plus one year and minus 27 years.

Oh yeah, totally agree. If I see a guy that is willing to date someone that young, forget it. I just automatically figure they would be happier with younger.

The women I know want to date a "hunk". One of my friends probably weighs 300 lbs, but she would never date a man that weighed that. Her daughter will only date black men, she met one online when she lived with her mom. He came for a visit, bought the mother a carpet shampooer, said everything they wanted to hear, a regular knight in shining armor. The daughter gave up her job, sold her car packed and moved to Texas. In one week he had given away her dog, kicked her out of his home, kicking her out I could understand. She was stranded, no car, no money. She got an attorney, found out he had been married 13 times. Evidently he got off on the wedding process and was done with them in a week's time. She was lucky he did not kill her.

I told another woman who dates online about my experience on line and about his money questions. She said, "why wouldn't you tell him". She tells everyone she dates how much she has and even bought the last one a car. Buying love.

The reason I went down too 27 years old is this dating site is running out of new people my own age. So I get a message from the dating site to widen my age group. You know most 27 year olds are not going too mess with a 54 year old man. I'm old fashioned and don't like tattoo's and their is alot of young women that have tattoo's these days.

Hi Guys, I agree...I've haven't had the opportunity to date a decent man since my husband died 14 yrs ago. It's hard to meet people, and I don't go to bars.
I have dated a few guys from friends in common. They were ok, ya know, but nobody I cared to spend time with.
Then sometime later, feeling a bit lonely, I joined a dating site. I met one man who seemed to think the site was for casual sex/no commitment. BYE BYE!
The 2nd guy was just plain strange. In fact he told me that I was "kinda pretty" and that he might go out with me again. LOL. I should have walked out right then and there! (we met at a restaurant) Instead, I confronted him about what he said.
The third guy was nice looking, polite and sweet. BUT he had no real job...he worked in garage sales and junk...not financially secure. He lived with his mother, he had no health insurance....but I thought I'd date him a few more times...I liked him and he was a good guy and seemed good to me...and he was just somebody to go see a movie with, or have dinner. Nothing long term.

So after a few weeks, he starts asking me to pay. Asks if we can drive my car. Asks if I could go to the grocery store so I can cook him his favorite meals. So I was rather blunt and told him I didn't want to see him anymore.
After that, I found out he is a dumpster diver! OH DEAR!
I think I'l be ok on my own and if The Lord has somebody in mind for me, I'm sure He will let me know.
Good luck and best wishes everyone....There is always hope....you never know what life will bring your way.

My sister married a man she met on a dating site. It lasted 3 yrs. I have heard others' stories of success on the dating sites though.

Personally, I don't have any real interest in dating, my last relationship was two years ago, the person wanted too much that I just couldn't give, I wasn't interested in cohabiting, I liked it fine that he lived a 4 hour drive away. I cared very much for him, I just couldn't see being under the same roof 24/7. I like my lone time, but the men are so passive that I've met, take this one guy in particular that keeps hinting to me about his girlfriend status instead of coming right out and asking if I'd go out with him, he's been doing it since I met him in one form or another starting some four years ago and I will continue to ignore it as his usual manipulative antics; he's a psychologist no less.

The other thing is, I don't want to have to give a play by play to these guys of my ailments, my last guy was a bit younger than I and a ball of energy and honestly, I really couldn't keep up with him in some of the activities he wanted to participate in. He knew I had back and knee issues, but I never really went into all the details of all my problems plus when we met, he never really new just how much younger he was, lately the question was starting to hang in the air because of my health issues, he gave me this look one time and said, so just how old are you really. LOL. When we met we were both in our 40's, he was just turning, me, was close to turning out of the 40's. There was no lying about age, he asked, I said I'm in my 40's that's all you need to know, and we left it at that all these 9 years we've known each other. We are still cordial and to some degree I miss him, but, it is what it is, he wants marriage, I don't, plus he doesn't need to carry my burdens.

Dating sucks period, I wouldn't mind companionship to a point, I just don't like to be smothered. I probably sound a bit shallow, I really just rather get together with a group of caring friends whom will accept me faults and all and I don't have to worry about explaining why I can't go for lonnnnngs walks along the beach and so forth

LOL, sorry Marty, but that was just very entertaining. The guy that said "you are kinda pretty"? If that happens, you tell them since we are being honest here, I'd feel more comfy if you'd put this over your head (then whip out your brown bag and hand it to him). Oh, the guy with no strings attached? Ask him how long has it been since his blow-up doll sprung a leak? Be sure to tell him you are sorry for his loss. How did you find out about the dumpster-diver? Did he ask you to hold onto his feet? Hey, I've had some experiences with online dating, and the other kind. But I finally came across a coupon to go and have my memory erased, just couldn't stand to think about it anymore, LOL!

I'm happily single now;)

LOL, sorry Marty, but that was just very entertaining. The guy that said "you are kinda pretty"? If that happens, you tell them since we are being honest here, I'd feel more comfy if you'd put this over your head (then whip out your brown bag and hand it to him). Oh, the guy with no strings attached? Ask him how long has it been since his blow-up doll sprung a leak? Be sure to tell him you are sorry for his loss. How did you find out about the dumpster-diver? Did he ask you to hold onto his feet? Hey, I've had some experiences with online dating, and the other kind. But I finally came across a coupon to go and have my memory erased, just couldn't stand to think about it anymore, LOL!

I'm happily single now;)

Yes, it's funny looking back on that experience. There are actually some really weird people out there lol.
At the time I was frustrated and annoyed...and then later, talking it over with a friend, it sure helped me see the humor in it all.

I don't know, maybe I'm a pessimist about "finding a mate" this late in life. I mean it was such a rush when I was young, now it's more like "what the heck for". That coming from someone that was all about boys, partying and rock n roll;)

Meh. It's just too much darned trouble, and I really, really don't want to be bothered with all that getting-to-know-you stuff. My life is a long way from perfect, but I'm used to it, and it suits me. Yes. I get lonely. No, not lonely enough to even look around. A Gentleman Caller would be nice, but the odds of one turning up are practically nil.

I do have my Perfectly Good Cat to keep me company:)

Well, one thing I don't think I mentioned earlier, and that is I believe that if we are happy, and doing things we enjoy (for me it's the outdoors, photography, kayaking, camping) then if I meet someone, it will be someone doing the things I like to. Then we could develop a relationship, maybe. I just think it's best to get out there and do things. It's hard to go alone a lot but if I waited for someone to go with me, I would never go anywhere.

here's a video that might make you think things out really well before dating;)

Oh, my. Seventeen cats? That sounds like about 15 or 16 cats too many. Now, getting a dog might be a good idea. Dogs never judge, comfort you when you're down and they're always glad to see you when you get home.

And...you never know who you'll meet while you're out walking the dog. A dog on a leash is a good conversation starter...just sayin...

Had a bad experience on the dating site with a woman got mad because I asked her for more pictures of herself. She wanted me to meet her at her house so she could show me what she looks like and I had a bad feeling of ended up like Jimmy Hoffa.

Back