Did naked navels cause the downfall of society?

One of my friends when I was a kid told me that her grandmother told her that any person who, even alone in the privacy of their own home, getting dressed before or after a shower, for instance and even just glanced at their own naked body in a mirror was sinning. Umkay, so God gave us these bodies but we're supposed to keep 'em covered up constantly?

Yep, our view of what is acceptable and what isn't with respect to clothing isn't logical, its just what we have learned. People who have been nudists find nothing unusual about it. And topless on some European beaches is pretty normal.
OK, now don’t have a stroke, but my wife and I used to belong to a naturist association in the Tampa area. We owned a Casita and would spend long weekends there. It was wonderful. So relaxing and everyone being au naturel, was a way for everyone to feel equal made for a very friendly environment.
Some would say the barring of the ankle was the biggie. The way I see it, some bodies are built for exposure, some not so much, but make yourself happy.
Nudists don't care how you're built or how they're built. There are tall ones, short ones, white ones, brown ones, black ones, young ones, old ones, thin ones, round ones. For God's sake, it's just a body. Everybody has one. If people could get over the fact that not everyone is hung up about the way they look or concerned about how physically “appealing” someone else is, they might really enjoy simply communing with nature. That's what it's all about. 🙂🙃🙂

Bella ✌️

We had a lot of fun at the association we belonged to. There is always something going on. It’s in a resort atmosphere, so there is a full scale restaurant, pool with waterfall and a conversation pool with outdoor restaurant, tennis, dances on Friday and Saturday night, plus on special holidays. So much more, including a hotel. We are all equal and we all had a good time while we were members and owners. However, there comes a time in our life when it’s time to realize the good times must end. We did have one lady that was 80 and still a member.

Navel gazing: The first female belly buttons ever seen on TV​

cXrEe-1494529087-824-lists-navels_main_1200_kildare.jpg

"A tiny piece of fabric could not placate the National Legion of Decency. In 1959, Marilyn Monroe turned heads as the bombshell in Some Like It Hot. In the film, the blonde idol wore a slinky, sheer black and nude cocktail dress that flashed a good amount of skin. Not the belly button, however. The crew covered up the actress' navel with a piece of fabric. Nevertheless, the NLoD condemned the film.

At last, three years later, Monroe was able to bare her belly button in the aptly titled Something's Got to Give. "I guess the censors are willing to recognize that everybody has a navel," she quipped. Not long after, Disney was insisting that Annette Funicello contractually cover up her navel in Beach Party — a teen bikini film. Such were the muddled morals of the time.

Meanwhile, on the small screen, censors were far more strict.

In 1951, the National Association of Broadcasters established its Code of Practices for Television Broadcasters. Amongst many other things, the regulations prohibited the display of a woman's navel. Believe it or not, the Code stood in place until 1983 — though as we shall see, things got lax.

Mostly thanks to Cher.

Here's a brief early history of the bare female belly on TV."

2 minute read with pictures

https://www.metv.com/lists/navel-gazing-the-first-female-belly-buttons-ever-seen-on-tv

If people could get over the fact that not everyone is hung up about the way they look or concerned about how physically “appealing” someone else is, they might really enjoy simply communing with nature.
You are right of course. However "getting over" that is easier said than done.

Probably what has kept me away from much public nudity or even bare chestedness. These things are deeply learned from early on...

You are right of course. However "getting over" that is easier said than done.

Probably what has kept me away from much public nudity or even bare chestedness. These things are deeply learned from early on...
We all pretty much grew up with the same constraints. Once you open your mind and get your feet wet, it gets easier. 😉

Navel gazing: The first female belly buttons ever seen on TV​

cXrEe-1494529087-824-lists-navels_main_1200_kildare.jpg

"A tiny piece of fabric could not placate the National Legion of Decency. In 1959, Marilyn Monroe turned heads as the bombshell in Some Like It Hot. In the film, the blonde idol wore a slinky, sheer black and nude cocktail dress that flashed a good amount of skin. Not the belly button, however. The crew covered up the actress' navel with a piece of fabric. Nevertheless, the NLoD condemned the film.

At last, three years later, Monroe was able to bare her belly button in the aptly titled Something's Got to Give. "I guess the censors are willing to recognize that everybody has a navel," she quipped. Not long after, Disney was insisting that Annette Funicello contractually cover up her navel in Beach Party — a teen bikini film. Such were the muddled morals of the time.

Meanwhile, on the small screen, censors were far more strict.

In 1951, the National Association of Broadcasters established its Code of Practices for Television Broadcasters. Amongst many other things, the regulations prohibited the display of a woman's navel. Believe it or not, the Code stood in place until 1983 — though as we shall see, things got lax.

Mostly thanks to Cher.

Here's a brief early history of the bare female belly on TV."

2 minute read with pictures

https://www.metv.com/lists/navel-gazing-the-first-female-belly-buttons-ever-seen-on-tv

Annette Funicello was, by contract, not allowed to show her navel in the "Beach Party" movies. Every one else was in a bikini and she was in modest 2-piece that wouldn't embarrass a nun.

Some would say the barring of the ankle was the biggie. The way I see it, some bodies are built for exposure, some not so much, but make yourself happy.
Ultra-prudish Victorians put "pantaloons" on piano legs, table legs, chair legs because....y'know.....they were legs and one wouldn't want gentlemen to be constantly reminded that ladies had lower extremities. Who knows what *that* could lead to....

No, but this may have. I saw an ad on TV yesterday and today. I thought maybe at first I dreamed it. The guy on TV was demonstrating this new Razor called Ballsy. It's a grooming razor. Guess what part it showed on TV the guy was grooming himself? Let's put it this way so I don't violate the terms of service.

He was standing in front of the wash basin with his one leg "cocked" up on the basin shaving what else, but his ____________ (fill in the blanks) It ain't called a Ballsy for no reason.

No, but this may have. I saw an ad on TV yesterday and today. I thought maybe at first I dreamed it. The guy on TV was demonstrating this new Razor called Ballsy. It's a grooming razor. Guess what part it showed on TV the guy was grooming himself? Let's put it this way so I don't violate the terms of service.

He was standing in front of the wash basin with his one leg "cocked" up on the basin shaving what else, but his ____________ (fill in the blanks) It ain't called a Ballsy for no reason.
@Moon Rat - Well now, oh my, lol. That was quite an instructional video! Good audio, not so good on the visuals. 😆 Are you saying the TV ad actually shows him shaving his, um, ballsy's? 🤔 I'd like to see that!laughing

Bella ✌️

I was channel surfing when I came across a program, where a gentleman was discussing how naked navels lead to the destruction of our civilization. There was a time when blouses met skirts/pants at the waist. Then blouse got shorter, and skirts/pants got lower- exposing the navel, which , of course, led us astray, causing the downfall of society. Apparently naked navels altered our values, which rippled down to the foundations of society.??????????
Lol! Nothing short of a Victorian nightmare and horror show I tell ya!:p

Much has changed in the last 75 years. There was a movie, titled, Land of the Pharoah's" co-starring Joan Collins.
Her costume was rather skimpy and her navel was showing. The producers knew that would not pass the board of censors. So they had to glue a large gem stone in her navel.

The truth is, that Western society has been denying the true nature of humans. We are base creatures and we struggle to live decent, moral lives. Now, religion has fallen by the wayside, Neo-liberalism has taken over and our true nature is being given free rein. Naked navels is a symptom not a cause.

Back