Do you have your house in order?

My husband & I have everything in order in a nice neat notebook for our son. I want to be cremated, no funeral, & my ashes scattered in the Smoky Mountains. We visit there frequently so I've even picked out the exact spot. I just hope I outlive my 3 old cats. Each of them are weird in their own way & any sort of change would be very traumatic for them.

My wife and I have joint wills and burial instructions. My wife wants her ashes put into a cookie jar, I haven’t chosen my resting place.

We have money set aside in savings and a small amount in life insurance. The house and alot is payed for, next year we will downsize to one car and continue leasing a vehicle so as not to burden survivors with car payments and ownership.

we’re nearly debt free except for student loans and neither spouse is responsible for repayment of other spouse student loans.
Here in Canada once you die your student loans are erased. The government student loans at least. I’m 51 and plan to be in school full time into my 60’s. Part of me of course wants to have as many years left as it takes to pay them off and part of me wants to depart owing the government a lot of money.

Yes, I spent the months after Rick died (with no will) getting my stuff together. Neither of us had children. My niece is pretty much designated to be "in charge" when I go. She is beneficiary to what $$ I have. She is set as a contact for medical and other things.
When I go, I will be cremated (as Rick was), and she will buy a spot in the mausoleum where my parents are, and put us both there together.

I thought I had my house in order but when I went into my iDrive (digital storage site not connected to Apple), I realized there were some old forms I needed to delete and some updated ones I needed to upload. I also have to make arrangements to get my updated will notarized.

Last edited:
We don’t, but should. We have our wills which state our desires for burial and the children’s care, but since our children are only 9 and 13 we haven’t discussed what we want with them. We should start getting this down on paper because once they are a bit older we will want them to know about our wishes.

Yeah. Went to lawyer several years back and set up revocable trusts along with powers of attorney and health related documents. No probate, no problems for whomever is left. Just have to get out of the house and into an apartment to really make it easy for either of us, or relatives.

I never married so there is noone to bury me! So I have arranged and payed for my cremation. The burial place will be taken care of by local veterans organizations (you have to let other people help). As to the house? well I rent so there is nothing to do their. and since I have no heirs there is nothing I have nor any one to leave anything to!

My wife and I chose a long time ago to live debt-free, mortgage paid off 10 years early, no car payments (we always pay cash for our cars), no student loans (we worked our way through college), and credit cards having zero balance at the end of the month.

I have been told, half-jokingly (I hope) that this is un-American since my baby boomer generation seems to embrace debt with a passion. It is so good to read here a number of folks who have chosen not to go down that path.

We have all we own set up in a trust and wills and medical directives, and a much younger relative saddled with taking care of disseminating the booty upon our demise. We will be cremated and our ashes stored at Ft. Snelling cemetery since I am a veteran.

Tony

I have no debt. I gave my nephew, my sole heir, written instructions as to where all important documents are, keys and other things. If it was just told verbally, he would not remember nor would most people. I'm re-thinking the disposition of my remains. Originally, I planned to be buried in a cemetary where vets don't pay. Instead I'm thinking cremation and ashes sprinkled in the grass next to my father where the family is buried.

Back