Do you have your house in order?

Mr. Ed

Life does not deserve my gratitude.
My wife and I have joint wills and burial instructions. My wife wants her ashes put into a cookie jar, I haven’t chosen my resting place.

We have money set aside in savings and a small amount in life insurance. The house and alot is payed for, next year we will downsize to one car and continue leasing a vehicle so as not to burden survivors with car payments and ownership.

we’re nearly debt free except for student loans and neither spouse is responsible for repayment of other spouse student loans.

Student loans? From what decade may I ask?

My son knows I want my ashes mixed with my husband's and the cat we loved so much. My daughter's ashes are already buried at my father's heart. I wish I had not buried them to add hers to the mix.

Then, when the ashes are all mixed, he should do whatever he thinks is best for him.

No, not totally but somewhat. I have left instructions on how to care for my pet family in case I should go before they do. I haven't got much so most will probably go to a charity. I still have to work on this issue.

Last edited:
Yes all sorted here, no debts, Will written and funeral paid for, I wanted to make things as easy as I can for my daughter when the time comes, (suppose I should start sorting the wardrobes out).......:unsure:

Last edited:
Last week Matrix put up an announcement saying that since this was a ‘discussion forum’ that answering a simple yes or no isn’t sufficient enough. I tried to find the announcement but have had no such luck. I know I didn’t imagine it
Well, in that case I will edit my reply since I believe I'm still able to.

Student loans? From what decade may I ask?

My son knows I want my ashes mixed with my husband's and the cat we loved so much. My daughter's ashes are already buried at my father's heart. I wish I had not buried them to add hers to the mix.

Then, when the ashes are all mixed, he should do whatever he thinks is best for him.
I started community college 2009, graduated 2012, finished my Bachelors degree 2017

Yes I do. Beneficiaries named in brokerages, will has been revised, although I haven't been able to have it notarized yet due to COVID. My old will still has that covered though. My burial plot, including the opening and closing costs, is payed for. My son and oldest grandson have been advised of where everything is and what to do should I become very ill and when I die. My POA and advanced directive were done 11 years ago and revised after my husband passed in 2018.

Yes.. for the most part. If hubby goes before me, I MAY sell the house and downsize. We need to work on burial plots. Hard to think about but need to be done.
Ladybj I did it three years ago because a friend who worked in the funeral business told me how much the cost of burial plots was rising. According to what cemetery new use there may also be an additional cost for a vault. So I strongly suggest that you purchase your plots ASAP.

Pretty much. I have a special notebook labeled Important Records, in a desk drawer that my children know about. It contains all they will need to know about banks, IRA's, people to notify, etc.

I also have a book that I got called I'm Dead, Now What? It's kind of a ledger with pages to fill in important information for your survivors to know. You can get it online.

So, between the two books, I'm pretty well covered, unless my house (and desk) burn down.

Pretty much. I have a special notebook labeled Important Records, in a desk drawer that my children know about. It contains all they will need to know about banks, IRA's, people to notify, etc.

I also have a book that I got called I'm Dead, Now What? It's kind of a ledger with pages to fill in important information for your survivors to know. You can get it online.

So, between the two books, I'm pretty well covered, unless my house (and desk) burn down.
It’s a very good book. I got it for my parents and filled it all out.

The only thing missing is a person to act as my advocate while I'm alive and as an executor to close out my estate when I die.

My grandmother always said that angels only appear when they are needed. I guess I'll just have to wait and see if she was right.

"I looked over Jordan, And WHAT did I see ..."

giphy.gif

Yep, just got finished with the lawyer. Big black book, wills with fiduciary and medical powers of attorney signed and witnessed by 3 in the office, notarized, and the TODDS are now at the county clerk being registered. Then we get copies of them back for our file, also.

Feels good having it all in order for son.

My attorneys updated my will and living will but due to COVID I haven't been able to go with my witnesses to have them notarized. I'm hoping now that things have died down a bit, I'll be able to get that done soon.
Couldn't you just go back to the attorney's offices and have them witnessed there?

Couldn't you just go back to the attorney's offices and have them witnessed there?
I am a member of Legal Shield so everything is handled by phone, email and snail mail. Their office is in another part of the state but what I love about them is the attorneys in the firm get back to clients within a couple of hours. If they've reached out and can't get you, they call a couple more times then send out a card. I've heard people say it takes days to hear from their lawyers....one friend waited months. I have my witnesses and last time my papers were notarized by a funeral home employee so I was planning to go back there. Funeral homes have been limiting visitors plus I'd have to ride over there with my witnesses in a small car. I'm just waiting for everyone to get more comfortable with our new normal.

Last edited:
My stuff is all TOD to beneficiaries. Every time I try to talk to my son about my eventual death he gets upset and doesn't want to talk about it, so I've created a big memo to him about things he needs to know and do.

I have a kind neighbor who will see Henry is taken care of if my son can't get here for a few days. In the event a new loving home couldn't be found for him, the rescue he came from will always take him back and either rehome him or care for him kindly for the rest of his days.

Back