Do you think "Jeneteenth" should be a US Federal holiday?

Sorry. Don't believe you.

And yes I know.... you don't care what I believe.

But I still don't.
Well lets see, you don't know me, my family members and my friends. And yet your calling me a liar? :rolleyes:

"And yes I know.... you don't care what I believe."
Well at least you got something right.

So wait.... you're saying that because France has over a month of paid holidays per year, that is somehow "proof" that America has too few and needs more???

I don't get your reasoning at all.

Sounds to me like all you're interested in is getting more free time off work. ;)

Actually, am retired so every day is a vacation for me. :)

But you know the old story ~ the more the merrier. This esp so in times off from work.

What if Juneteenth were to be observed on Black Friday? Many employers give workers that day off to extend the Thanksgiving holiday anyway, or people take it off as a vacation day, we can all be thankful for the freeing of the slaves that day too, if it were a federal holiday many more people would be able to go shopping for Christmas bargains, thereby boosting retail sales and the economy, it’s already named Black Friday, so no one would or should be offended by the name. Oh sure, it’s not the exact date as is Juneteenth but just like with gift giving, it’s the thought that counts, isn’t it? And it’s already stuck in pretty much most people’s minds.

I think some people would be ok with it, some wouldn't care, some wouldn't like it.
Why? Because just like every group of people there are different differences of opinions.
I think you've hit the nail on the head, Becky. And I think that applies to almost any country like ours where, for the most part, we're still allowed to have differing opinions without being legally penalized. Some may not like what we say, but we still get to say it.

Glad it passed but prefer Emancipation Day as a teachable name.

As for it being about one race ...we did fight a war to end slavery on American soil so I don't see a problem with honoring that victory for those who were freed and those who fought. I'll happily celebrate with my black friends and cousins.

@Sunny I expect it'll be a much bigger deal in the South than you think. We now have two generations of black and white friends, classmates, coworkers, blended families.

Last edited:
Yay another day to relax, take it easy & do whatever I feel like doing!

Oh wait I'm retired & that is my usual day to day.

Personally I don't care one way or another with the exception that if federal workers get the day off paid, that is a waste of my tax dollars.

Certainly better than Christmas which is a holiday for one religious group while we're supposed to have separation between religion and government. Juneteenth is a commemoration of a very important point in the history of the country as a whole, no matter what a person's belief. It was the end of an era -- when the last slaves were freed (2.5 years after the Emancipation Proclamation). Just a bit of history here for those who might not know -- the Emancipation Proclamation didn't call for an emancipation of all of the slaves; it called for the emancipation of the slaves in the states that were fighting for the Confederacy, not in those that were fighting for the Union.

If ever in Galveston, Texas ... visit the Strand district

iu

I'm all for Juneteenth because every year we will be reminded that slavery happened and now it's over.

It's history so we can remember it as a bad memory and now let go of any future resentments.

Now we can move forward and be grateful that there is no slavery going on. Okay everybody?

I'm all for Juneteenth because every year we will be reminded that slavery happened and now it's over.

It's history so we can remember it as a bad memory and now let go of any future resentments.

Now we can move forward and be grateful that there is no slavery going on. Okay everybody?

While I agree ....... Let's see if it goes that way.

Some company's , as well as some Gov agencies , say it will be next year before they can begin observation. Understandable.

Sorry, but I think it will have the opposite effect.

I think it will constantly suggest to black people that they should hate and/or resent white people and it will cause the issue of slavery to continue fomenting white guilt while people on both sides will keep on being uncomfortable about the subject of race.

I think we'd be better focusing on moving forward rather than constantly looking in the rear view mirror at the past.

Besides, there are plenty of other occasions through which we will not allow ourselves to forget.

My question is.... Will this be the final request by the black community regarding the paying of tribute to the distant and long dead past, or will there soon be another and another and another?

Are cash reparations next on the horizon?

The secret to recovery lies within our attitudes. Before posting, I thought of all the things you mentioned @Jim W. I'm quite sure many will think and act just as you say for a long time...btw, blacks and whites fought side by side in the civil war to end slavery*

It's different now...Americans voted in a Black President to run our nation.

That's why I chose the "glass half full" view because that's what it's going to take to heal this divide and for everyone to move forward and stop with the blaming and shaming...it's a choice everyone should make. And no doubt some won't but it starts with me, and you, and each of us.

*By the end of the Civil War, roughly 179,000 black men (10% of the Union Army) served as soldiers in the U.S. Army and another 19,000 served in the Navy. Nearly 40,000 black soldiers died over the course of the war—30,000 of infection or disease. ... There were nearly 80 black commissioned officers.

Last edited:
Would not have been my choice, but I am ok with it. Ending slavery was an important milestone in US history, and we do still live with its legacy, so a holiday to remind us isn't all bad.

Problem I have with this particular name and date is that when I was a kid in Louisiana it was a day celebrated in the black community and one where law enforcement just let things happen in the black parts of town. Got to be pretty rough. So I don't associate Juneteenth with great things. But others may have other feelings about it.

From Forbes: List of federal paid time off perks, vacation, etc. Now this next fact totally blows my mind and is one reason why the U.S. is near or already insolvent.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
However, Congress isn’t finished trying to add to the number of federal holidays. The estimated taxpayer cost for each federal holiday is $818 million – and that’s just within the executive agencies, not including the military or U.S. Postal Service.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.forbes.com/sites/adaman...-44-paid-days-off-on-average/?sh=3c5c4f4f3477

Back