Everyone have this??

Good for Scotland. Has this resulted in a significant number of people bringing their own shopping bags or do they just ponyup 5p?

In supermarkets most people bring their own bags and did so before the law. I've got those heavy plastic shopping bags. Much easier to pack than the other ones anyway. You have to bag your own groceries here - no baggers.

I think, I'm going to start taking some of my bags back to the market to reused them, but, I also use them to line my waste baskets, but, I too keep coming across bags inside of bags to the point, I used one of the bags to collect some under garments out of the washer one day and when I realized, I couldn't find any of those undies, I concluded, I grabbed it along with the other bags I set aside to toss and they were long gone. I wasn't a happy person, had to replace a lot of my favorite hard to get garments from that time. :mad: I try to be more careful, not the first or last time I'm sure, but, I do need to get rid of some bags for sure.

I used to get a couple of plastic bags before the fee, and my husband would always get them as he'd never remember to bring the shopping bags. Used them as bin liners for the small bins. But I've found small bin liners that don't cost much at all, certainly cheaper than paying 5 pence for the other bags.

I still prefer the old-fashioned paper grocery bags, and so does the cat. They also degrade back into the environment much faster than plastic and they don't strangle ducks and geese.

But I guess cutting down trees is an issue ...

I still prefer the old-fashioned paper grocery bags, and so does the cat. They also degrade back into the environment much faster than plastic and they don't strangle ducks and geese.

But I guess cutting down trees is an issue ...
why does the cat like them Phil? we used to marvel at those brown paper sacks in US movies, and wonder how people managed to carry them as they didn't have handles.

We have a junk drawer of course, as no household should be without one. Also tucked away in a cupboard, a large canvas bag full of plastic bags just in case we need one.We take our own bags to the supermarket but now and then need an extra plastic one. some supermarkets charge five pence for them, others give them free of charge in England.

We have a junk drawer of course, as no household should be without one. Also tucked away in a cupboard, a large canvas bag full of plastic bags just in case we need one.We take our own bags to the supermarket but now and then need an extra plastic one. some supermarkets charge five pence for them, others give them free of charge in England.

England hasn't passed a law yet? Are there plans for it? Scotland's was passed in Oct last year for all retailers.

why does the cat like them Phil? we used to marvel at those brown paper sacks in US movies, and wonder how people managed to carry them as they didn't have handles.

He likes to hide in them, then attack your ankles when you walk past. :D When the bag is totally torn up after a few days, he uses it as his sleeping mat.

You carry them with your hand on the bottom and your arm wrapped around the side and back.

paper-bag.jpg

My junk drawer is more of a collage box with a ridiculous assortment of useless objects and several dozen batteries, mostly dead. I had to check 15 AAA's yesterday to find two working ones to put in a thermometer for a great-grandson. By the time I got it working, the baby was fine! So, did I pitch the non-working batteries? Nope. I stuck them in a baggy and shoved them back in the drawer. There is definitely something a bit off with me.

Yes, I have a drawer for plastic bags, I have a bad habit of continually stuffing bags in the drawer until they overflow behind the drawer then it won't close, then I have to ask a family member to get down on hands and knees and pull out about 200 plastic bags......I really need to stop doing this.

Our condo recycles food waste, tins/glass/plastic/styrofoam/paper/aluminum foil. We use our plastic bags to line the food waste bin, regular kitchen bin, etc. I'm sure not everyone recycles as fastidiously as we do, but hope the majority do.

Back