Five Black Memphis Tn. Police Officers Alleged To Have Beat Black Motorist For Reckless Driving

I don't think I will watch the video; it would hurt too much. I can't imagine and don't want to imagine, really, the pain and suffering his family, particularly his mother is going through! Why would 5 officers need to descend on one unarmed man? Why would they feel they needed to beat him senseless. He's not even recognizable in the photo from the hospital ! Why? Because like previously mentioned...they were pumped up on their power over him. But stupidly, they "forgot" their every action was being recorded and would come back to bite them in the a*s.

God bless his family for enduring this intense pain with dignity and calling for peaceful protest. I wouldn't care if the officers were purple with pink polka dots, they must be punished for the horrible wrong they did. I would feel this way if the victim was any other race. I had a friend who was a police officer for a brief time. He said he couldn't take the sh*t he saw being done on the force. He also said some people do not need to become police officers and that some of them knew how to circumvent the psych evaluations. Look how many police officers are accused of domestic violence. That power mixed with brutal minds has been proven to be very dangerous, time and time again. I wonder if they honestly thought the "blue code" had their backs and they'd get away with what they've done. Can't wait until they get sent to prison! The shoes will be on the other feet then.
Well said and true. I'm just thankful that there is some video coverage of their actions these days, I can imagine all the citizens killed in the past with no story to go by but the offending cops and their buddies. Blue code of death, going on too long. I also am heartbroken for Tyre's mother and family, that senseless murder and the video of their loved one will hurt deep forever. Last I heard the protests were peaceful, which is wonderful.....thanks to his grieving mother for sending that strong and sincere message to the community.

Well said and true. I'm just thankful that there is some video coverage of their actions these days, I can imagine all the citizens killed in the past with no story to go by but the offending cops and their buddies. Blue code of death, going on too long. I also am heartbroken for Tyre's mother and family, that senseless death and the video of their loved one will hurt deep forever. Last I heard the protests were peaceful, which is wonderful.....thank to his grieving mother for sending that strong and sincere message to the community.
I so agree SB, Tyre's mother will forever till the day she des, hear the plaintiff cries of her son for his mum... 😔😔

I've had 2 experiences with police officers.

Back when I was 18 I was pulled over for speeding (35 mph. in a factory complex). I was lost and was trying to find a way to turn around and get back on the main street. A cop stopped me, asked for my license, etc. and then said, "I really hate to give you this ticket." I don't remember what I said to him at that point. Then he just stood there and repeated, "I really hate to give you a ticket." Even at the tender age of 18, I was beginning to get what he was hinting at. I started getting nervous and said, "I guess you just have to do what you have to do." He finally wrote the ticket and let me go on my way.

Fast forward to age 21 and sitting at a crowded popular bar. A guy sits down next to me and starts talking about being a cop, trying to impress me I suppose. When I wasn't impressed enough to suit him, he plopped his gun in my lap. I gasped and said, "get that thing off me!" He took it back and I got up and left. Every word is true. I'll never forget that incident.

So, in short, I'm not surprised by anything cops do anymore. But I am appalled with how some of them are so power hungry and don't even try to hide it. There's no excuse for the way they have treated the very citizens they have sworn to protect and serve.
index.jpg

Back when I was 18 I was pulled over for speeding (35 mph. in a factory complex). I was lost and was trying to find a way to turn around and get back on the main street. A cop stopped me, asked for my license, etc. and then said, "I really hate to give you this ticket." I don't remember what I said to him at that point. Then he just stood there and repeated, "I really hate to give you a ticket." Even at the tender age of 18, I was beginning to get what he was hinting at. I started getting nervous and said, "I guess you just have to do what you have to do." He finally wrote the ticket and let me go on my way.

Fast forward to age 21 and sitting at a crowded popular bar. A guy sits down next to me and starts talking about being a cop, trying to impress me I suppose. When I wasn't impressed enough to suit him, he plopped his gun in my lap. I gasped and said, "get that thing off me!" He took it back and I got up and left. Every word is true. I'll never forget that incident.

So, in short, I'm not surprised by anything cops do anymore. But I am appalled with how some of them are so power hungry and don't even try to hide it. There's no excuse for the way they have treated the very citizens they have sworn to protect and serve.
View attachment 265181
Cops don't have to hide their craving for power. They have nothing to fear. An act of brutality usually means the city will pay out any judgement.
And I get a chuckle when I see that "To protect and to serve." Police officers have absolutely NO obligation to protect anyone.

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/...ot-have-a-constitutional-duty-to-protect.html
By Richard Dahl on June 14, 2022
The Uvalde, Texas, School District Police Department has received withering criticism for its failure to stop a school gunman who shot and killed 19 children and two teachers.

While the shooter was inside two adjoining classrooms, 19 law enforcement officers stood outside for nearly an hour as they waited for tactical equipment to arrive.

Texas Department of Public Safety Col. Steven McCraw called it "the wrong decision. Period. There's no excuse for that." Calling the response "100% flawed," Thor Eells, executive director of the National Tactical Officers Association, said, "If you're in a classroom with innocent victims and I know that shots have been fired, I need to engage you."

Unfortunately, families of the victims have little legal recourse against the police because police officers are typically protected from lawsuits by qualified immunity. Police occasionally face consequences for their actions, like when Minneapolis officer Derek Chauvin was convicted of murdering George Floyd. But criminal charges against police officers who fail to protect the public are extremely rare.

Questions of Police Duty​

The motto, "To Protect and Serve," first coined by the Los Angeles Police Department in the 1950s, has been widely copied by police departments everywhere. But what, exactly, is a police officer's legal obligation to protect people? Must they risk their lives in dangerous situations like the one in Uvalde?

The answer is no.

In the 1981 case Warren v. District of Columbia, the D.C. Court of Appeals held that police have a general "public duty," but that "no specific legal duty exists" unless there is a special relationship between an officer and an individual, such as a person in custody.

The U.S. Supreme Court has also ruled that police have no specific obligation to protect. In its 1989 decision in DeShaney v. Winnebago County Department of Social Services, the justices ruled that a social services department had no duty to protect a young boy from his abusive father. In 2005'sCastle Rock v. Gonzales, a woman sued the police for failing to protect her from her husband after he violated a restraining order and abducted and killed their three children. Justices said the police had no such duty.

Most recently, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit upheld a lower court ruling that police could not be held liable for failing to protect students in the 2018 shooting that claimed 17 lives at Marjorie Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida.

You might want to read this statement from the Association of Chiefs of Police in Ontario. They clearly say that this situation in Memphis is despicable and totally against what Police in Canada are expected to do. Link. Canadian police chiefs speak out on death of Black man beaten by U.S. officers (yahoo.com) There have also been very pointed public statements from the Chiefs of Peel Region, York Region, Halton Region, London Police, Ottawa Police, Sudbury Police, the Commissioner of the Ontario Provincial Police, and the Commissioner of the RCMP, all of which were highly critical. JimB.

Well of course they are critical , they have to be , as is every other police force no matter where...

I am not only referring to police. I did say what is happening to people, police or not.
We have attacks in subways system, senseless shootings, young girls stabbing with knives etc.,

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2023/01...s-stabbing-homeless-man-ken-lee-bail-hearing/
...and too many others lately to report.

View attachment 265181
You were a lucky 18 year old. Two police officers raped & murdered young women after pulling them over & offering not to ticket or arrest them: One of them actually gave lectures to women's groups on how to stay safe!
https://www.lawyersupdate.co.in/crime-file/george-michael-gwaltney-i/

I didn't watch the video knowing how graphic it would be. At least the cops weren't white which is a good thing it's sad to say, because it tells that police brutality isn't limited to white officers, which would open up a whole other can of worms.

Why were 4 of these officers released on bail? I have watched the full 30 minute video and I started crying. This is pure brutality and yet a judge releases them?
Two paramedics stood around doing nothing for a full 15 minutes while Tyre was writhing in pain?
Something seriously wrong here.
The officers were released on bail because the charge is 2nd degree murder, which usually entitles suspects to bail.
The video also shows the officers not even calling paramedics for quite a while.

Well said and true. I'm just thankful that there is some video coverage of their actions these days, I can imagine all the citizens killed in the past with no story to go by but the offending cops and their buddies. Blue code of death, going on too long. I also am heartbroken for Tyre's mother and family, that senseless murder and the video of their loved one will hurt deep forever. Last I heard the protests were peaceful, which is wonderful.....thanks to his grieving mother for sending that strong and sincere message to the community.
Legal experts said that without the video taken by a young girl, Derek Chauvin would not have been convicted.
People have been programmed to believe whatever a police officer says - just as they've been programmed to believe all police officers are heroes. That's why they are so surprised at what videos have been revealing.

Last edited:
I cannot get over the "minor traffic violation', whatever that means. Exceeding the speed limit? Going through a red light? Registration of vehicle expired? What?

Over here you get a fine in the mail and have the option of paying up or going to court.
IMO he was terrified of the police from the moment they stopped him, and with good reason it turns out.

I have three grandsons about the age of Tyre and I cannot even think about any of them being murdered at the hands of police officers.

Were they wearing body cameras?

I cannot get over the "minor traffic violation', whatever that means. Exceeding the speed limit? Going through a red light? Registration of vehicle expired? What?

Over here you get a fine in the mail and have the option of paying up or going to court.
IMO he was terrified of the police from the moment they stopped him, and with good reason it turns out.

I have three grandsons about the age of Tyre and I cannot even think about any of them being murdered at the hands of police officers.

Yes. The initial video was from their body cameras. The second video (where they finished beating him to death) was from an overhead camera on a power pole.

yes that's what's so appalling, that they were all wearing body cameras.. and the helicopter was overhead during the second beating, and they were all aware of this, but the pack animal behaviour was such that it clearly over rode their need for violence and hate!

Last edited:
I am surprised but grateful that there were apparently no big "riots" last eve after the vid came out....
I think that's why sort of prepped the public by announcing and describing it ahead of time. Not out of the woods yet still got the weekend and next week to go.

Friday in general is considered a news dump day because many use the approaching weeked to hide negative news because they know many will be involved in their recreational weekend activities. They also knoe those Sunday morning talk shows are taped as early Friday morning which means they won't cover it either.

...proven repeatedly that they have pulled people over just for driving while black.

This is Memphis, though, where a subset of young black guys with fake drive-out tags speed and swerve through traffic playing Indy 500 or NASCAR in broad daylight and aren't pulled over. I drive there frequently and have never seen anything like it in another city. Tyre, from all accounts, was never that type of guy. His only record was failure to pay a fine in 2015. He was a full-time employee at FedEx and his relatives' social media accounts are middle class.

I watched only the beginning of the recording after someone on another site pointed out--as several people have noted here--how odd the first encounter was. Tyre was violently jerked from the car while making an attempt to comply and exit as he was directed. He also complied with the order to get on the ground and only got up and ran after it was apparent that nothing he could do would stop the mob violence directed at him.

Social media gossip from this area is that Tyre was having an affair with the wife of one of the cops and that there had been an off duty confrontation days prior to the beating. From the start, it did look as though something was very off and he was targeted. But it is gossip and may just be people trying to make at least a little sense of something so brutal.

Last edited:
Here's what I've learned so far...

As I understand it, only 2 officers were wearing body cameras. The others had either never turned them on or had turned them off. Also, one officer can be heard AFTER the incident saying that Tyre was driving the wrong way toward another vehicle. Most likely setting up an alibi. But these animals didn't seem to know there were street cameras that captured everything.

Tyre was over 6' tall but had Crohn's disease so he was just over 150 pounds. I don't see a physical threat.

These officers were part of the Scorpion Unit, which was created to keep neighborhoods safe against violent criminals. This was no violent crime. Memphis has now disbanded this unit.

The protests have most likely been peaceful not only because of Tyre's mother's pleas, but because the perpetrators were arrested prior to the video footage being released and it was all done very quickly.

Here's what I've learned so far...

As I understand it, only 2 officers were wearing body cameras. The others had either never turned them on or had turned them off. Also, one officer can be heard AFTER the incident saying that Tyre was driving the wrong way toward another vehicle. Most likely setting up an alibi. But these animals didn't seem to know there were street cameras that captured everything.

Tyre was over 6' tall but had Crohn's disease so he was just over 150 pounds. I don't see a physical threat.

These officers were part of the Scorpion Unit, which was created to keep neighborhoods safe against violent criminals. This was no violent crime. Memphis has now disbanded this unit.

The protests have most likely been peaceful not only because of Tyre's mother's pleas, but because the perpetrators were arrested prior to the video footage being released and it was all done very quickly.
"These officers were part of the Scorpion Unit, which was created to keep neighborhoods safe against violent criminals."
Oh, the irony. Who's keeping the neighborhoods safe from violent cops?

It's way past time for police reform. Each cop should be mentally tested somehow to find out if they are competent enough to be a police officer. I really know nothing about mental testing, but I do know some jobs require a person to undergo a psychiatric evaluation to either get or retain some jobs. I think all police candidates should be psychologically evaluated in the same way. We need to know that we have police out there that have been psychologically evaluated and are considered to have the mental capacity to make good decisions and also have the mental capacity to think before they act. People will sometimes say "You don't always have time to think before you act." That's not true. We would all be surprised how fast the brain can think, process and react.

I can remember way back in the dark ages when I first applied to the Pennsylvania State Police, we were given some type of psychiatric testing. It wasn't anything like lying on a couch and being asked personal questions, but more like asking routine questions and there were a lot of multiple choice questions and yes/no questions. Most of the testing was written and then there was a second part where the psychiatrist spoke to you and would occasionally ask for your input. From your input, he was able to determine if you had comprehensive skills, which are very important to being a cop. Being proficient with having comprehensive skills is what some people lack and not having good comprehensive skills would or should eliminate a person from being a police candidate.

There was a question on my test that went something like:
You are called to the scene of a terrible automobile accident. What's the first thing you do? (The answers went something like this.)
a. Call for help
b. Check for injuries
c. Ask the drivers involved what happened
d. Call in and tell the dispatcher you're ill and going home (Yes, this was one of the answers.)
I remember it because I laughed out loud after I read the answers.

Back