Football Season

??

iu

I live in the Cleveland area and we have the Browns for a team. I have not watched football because I really haven't understood the game but I figure if I watch I may discover what they are doing and why...:) I don't know if we have a good team this year or not but will see.

What is your team and do you watch them?
View attachment 74484
The Cleveland Browns have been a disappointing team for way too many years. Last year there was such high hopes for the Browns to get into the playoffs. And again they disappointed their fan base. On paper they look like they should be good this year. I am a football fan.

Lethe 200 keeps us on the 'real deal.'
One million is hard for me to think about; I wonder how many financial consultants he has?

Super Bowl pick: Chicago Bears
If they can find a QB, help on the offensive line, and a consistent running back.
Yes, I know that is impossible, but their defense is very, very good

I wonder why some clubs just cannot get their drafts or trades right?
What a defense

The Cheer of the Crowd
The Texas Ranger will have crowd noises piped into the stadium once (if) the
baseball season starts.:sneaky:
They anticipate sparse crowds, but '...the piped cheers will make it seem more like
a real ballgame.'

Last edited:
Damaged goods:
Yea, I remember, 'Indians in a walk, no way they can beat the big three of Indians
pitching staff.'
We did not get World Series on TV, except on Saturdays.
As a Dodger fan, wanted Indians to beat Giants.

I have no problem with the players taking a knee during the anthem. I'll leave it at that.

Kap lost me right from the start when in the same sentence he ripped the US for being oppressive, then praised Castros' Cuba. This indicated to me that he's either a card-carrying Marxist or else has rocks between his ears.

More recently, he referred to July 4th as a celebration of white supremacy

I don't know if there's going to be a football season this year, but I hope so. I'm so excited that the NE Patriots got Cam Newton! I'm sick of all the gloom and doom about Tom Brady leaving. I mean, sure, he's great. Amazing. BUT he's not the only quarterback on the planet. We can't give up on our team because one person has left.

I've seen Cam Newton play and he's really impressive. Who knows, maybe another SuperBowl victory...?

Autumn: Several Pat fans on site--- don't know if Newton can cut it anymore.
Don't understand why he went into the tank, you think BB can breath life back into him?
If Pats can split with Buffalo, they may well win their conference-playoffs are a different
matter.

Don't know Bonnie, Washington Redtails seems awful: do they have to paint their hinny's red 🤔 (or did you intend a different name).

And now back to football. An enjoyable article (save for these teams' fans!):

From incompetence to outright villainy: the NFL's worst-run teams
There are plenty of bad teams in the league, but there’s a special place reserved for franchises whose entire structures are rotten
London Guardian U.S. 1 Jul 2020
Much has been made of late of the New York Jets’ heroic efforts to lose their best player, Jamal Adams. The Jets are not alone in their bid for the Incompetence Championship Belt, though. Here’s a rundown of the contenders (note: these are the worst-run franchises in the NFL, rather than the weakest on the field. Although, of course, there is often a correlation).

New York Jets
Where do you even begin with the Adam Gase of it all? What we see playing out with Gase and Adams, the Jets’ best player and the franchise’s head coach, is as laughable as it is predictable. Adams, one of the best young defensive players in the league, wants to leave because apparently he can’t stand working with Gase – and many of his teammates are said to feel the same.

If this isn’t a microcosm of Jets Football, nothing is. The ownership chose to employ Gase after he had been fired by their divisional rivals, the Miami Dolphins. He was an embattled, belligerent coach with a losing record who alienated the locker room in Florida. And guess what happened when he came to New York? Yep, he has become an embattled, belligerent coach with a losing record who has alienated the locker room.

The Jets’ incompetence doesn’t stop there though. They have consistently chopped and changed directions over the years. One season, the organization is ready and willing to embrace the draft and develop model. The next, it’s a return to lobbing big paydays at ageing stars. Splitting between the two tracks has left them with a roster bereft of difference-makers.

It’s easy – and fun! – to blame Gase for the Jets’ ills, but it’s the wretched ownership who will still be there when he is inevitable fired. Still, it’s not like anyone is stupid enough to give them responsibility beyond running a football team.*
* Sadly, this is not true any longer. Robert Johnson has now been accused of racist and sexist remarks, as well as pressuring the Brits to use Trump's golf course as the site for the British Open: Woody Johnson sparks watchdog inquiry

Los Angeles Chargers
Pour one out for the Chargers. After years of being a first-ballot If-my-team-isn’t-playing-them-I-rooting-for-them team, they have fallen into irrelevancy. The move to Los Angeles, a city that didn’t appear to want one NFL team, let alone two, couldn’t have gone much worse. They started their time in LA playing in a stadium smaller than some Texas high school football arenas – and still couldn’t fill it with home fans. Photos like this and this and this have become as much a part of the Chargers gameday experience as anything on the field. Owner Dean Spanos has already had to deny that the team could be on the move again to London or Oakland or back to San Diego, a city where the team was far move loved than in their new home.

On the field they’re not terrible, just the same old Chargers: full of talent, battling injuries, haunted by brutal losses.

2020 sets up to be ugly. Philip Rivers finally called time on his career with the franchise, uprooting and moving to Indianapolis. The team has one of the bleakest quarterback depth charts in the league, hardly the way they would have wanted to open up their new stadium, even if they are the junior leaseholder.

The one saving grace: they still have the best uniforms in the league.

Houston Texans
Like Gase, Bill O’Brien is a former offensive-coordinator whose work alongside a legend (Gase with Peyton Manning; O’Brien with Tom Brady) has led to him receiving the keys to a franchise.

And like Gase, O’Brien has morphed from a once-promising offensive mind into a cartoon villain. Full of ego and a belief that the Bill O’Brien way is the only way, the Texans head coach has taken to team-building the way a child does to a Madden Franchise: trading a bunch of draft picks to fit an immediate need; swapping out one superstar for a player whose name value no longer matches his play.

The brilliance of O’Brien’s strategy: he can’t lose a job that he gave to himself. After the Texans fired former GM Brian Gaine a year ago, they appointed O’Brien as interim GM – giving the coach the immediate control of who is on the 53-man roster.

It was not a dumb short-term play. The issue: O’Brien started to make big-picture moves. He moved Jadeveon Clowney to Seattle for a third-round pick and two backup linebackers. That was followed up by dealing a bevy of draft picks to plug a hole along the offensive line. The Texans landed the supremely talented Laremy Tunsil but they overpaid for his services.

As a result, the Texans ran an exhaustive general manager search. The answer just so happened to be … Bill O’Brien. One of his first moves: swapping out DeAndre Hopkins, a future Hall of Fame receiver, for David Johnson, a horribly diminished running back who does things like this.

The Texans’ fabulously talented quarterback Deshaun Watson is starting to resemble LeBron James during his first spell with the Cleveland Cavaliers: a generational star sabotaged by the incompetence and arrogance of management.

Washington
Dan Snyder is the league’s resident super villain, albeit with little of the “super” and and plenty of the villainy. Since he took ownership of Washington in 1999, Snyder has overseen a 142-192 record, recorded only six winning seasons and has just two playoff wins. For a team that used to view the regular season as a minor inconvenience on the way to another Super Bowl appearance, it’s a remarkable fall from grace.

Not only that, Snyder has nuked the team’s reputation. It has fallen so low that the Baltimore Ravens surpassed Washington in TV viewership within the DC market. Two, five, 20 years ago, that was unthinkable. Ever the entrepreneur, as the team’s record dawdled from rough to embarrassing, Snyder upped the cost of the gameday experience. The team’s attendance has declined from second in the league in 2009 to 25th in 2019.

And, regardless of your personal views on the name issue, Snyder’s unwillingness to listen or engage in a conversation is a testament to his own myopic viewpoint.

Snyder has employed 10 coaches and any number of personnel maestros, trying all manner of different strategies. The one constant during the era: Snyder himself. You would think such a poor record over such a sustained period of time would dent one’s ego. Not Snyder. He has been so staunchly deaf to criticism, so willing to blame others (including his own fanbase) that you almost get the sense that he enjoys the role of village idiot.

Last edited:
To a Black man that might very well be true. Every Founding Father except John Adams owned slaves.

It's his opinion; neither you nor I need to worry about it, IMHO.

I don't worry about it but cannot support someone who claimed his beef was cop brutality but then expanded his opinion to embrace Cuba as a compassionate entity while dissing the US.

As for July 4th, maybe he thinks we shouldn't have rebelled against King George. That's what the day is all about.

Speaking of horribly run NFL teams:
Detroit Lions

Giants 1954. Your football team needs a couple more years.
You know they can't beat the Cowboys.

Your other team, the hated Giant's will play Dodgers on TV this weekend.
Lost my zest when both teams moved out of NY.
I will watch a few innings, can't watch an entire ball game anymore.

you guys catch the new on ten or more Miami Marlins testing positive for cov19,
no baseball for two days.
The why of the outbreak happened to Marlins is not yet determined.

I think pro and college sports should be cancelled until vaccine is available.

Players that choose to set out the season:
NFL will give advances $350,000-$150,000, to players that qualify.
Seems like a bundle to me, but if your earning a few million a year-'...hardly seems worth my time.' ☹

no football for me. kneeling for the anthem and disrespecting our vets was the straw that broke the camels back for me. I was never a big fan anyways so not watching football for me is not hard.

I grew up watching the Chicago Bears and Papa Halas who was the owner and one time coach. This was because the only good channel we could get on the TV carried the Bears. It is a pleasant memory of watching the Bears playing with the snow coming down drinking beer and eating pop corn. I now boycott football because of the kneeling SHIT during the playing of our National Anthem. I do not have a problem with the protest of injustice treatment of Afro-Americans, but professional athletics are paid millions to play a game and the owners of the teams are making millions. An agenda of protest could be better served other than disrespect of the American Flag. According to reports attendance is down, but TV viewing was up, looks like the majority does not care. I have to admit, if the Bears on on TV I usually watch.
Yep, same here! Die hard Packer fan. Stopped watching 2 years ago for the same reason. You want to make point? Do it on YOUR OWN TIME and NOT when the flag is raised! Donate money, donate time in soup kitchens, organize groups to get your concerns heard LEGALLY.l Get off your da** knees and do something to promote change. Kneeling and whining doesn't get anything done! Football season starts in 2 days. Someone asked me if I wanted in on the Pool... Heck NO! Bet it goes the same way as the NBA. Down the drain...

Back