For Better, or Worse...

Meanderer

Supreme Member
For Better, or For Worse...

I took my Wife for an appointment with the eye doctor last week, and as we were leaving, and walking out through the waiting room, it happened. An older couple was sitting at the far end, facing us.:):) The room was empty, other than the four of us, and while we were still a far ways off, he began speaking: "For better or for worse...in sickness and in health...til death do us part". It was not loud, but clearly directed at us. We both stopped and smiled, and I gave him a "thumbs up" and an "Amen", as we walked out of the office. It was a very uplifting moment, that stayed with us.:):) My Wife's check-up went well...her hindsight is still 20-20.:)

food-drink-bratwurst-for_better_or_worse-butchers-husbands-sausage-09502532_low.jpg

'I have never stopped loving you': Couple reunited get married 62 YEARS after first falling in love

• Cynthia Riggs, 82, and Howard Attebery, 92, met while working for a geology lab in the summer of 1950
  • Attebery says he immediately fell in love with Riggs, but the two never dated because she had a boyfriend at the time
  • More than 60 years later, the two reconnected when Attebery sent a coded love letter
  • They were married last year after Attebery moved cross-country to be with his long-lost love
[url]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2734143/I-never-stopped-loving-Couple-met-1950-reunited-coded-love-letter.html[/URL]

1409061288295_wps_6_MUST_CREDIT_Lynn_Christof.jpg

• Cynthia Riggs, 82, and Howard Attebery, 92, met while working for a geology lab in the summer of 1950
  • Attebery says he immediately fell in love with Riggs, but the two never dated because she had a boyfriend at the time
  • More than 60 years later, the two reconnected when Attebery sent a coded love letter
  • They were married last year after Attebery moved cross-country to be with his long-lost love
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...uple-met-1950-reunited-coded-love-letter.html

That's either true love or insanity.

Come to think of it, they're pretty much the same, aren't they? :rolleyes:

That's EXACTLY the way we feel! We take our marriage vows very seriously and have proved it numerous times to each other over the 14 years of our marriage. But, then again, we are...........TRUELY IN LOVE and that's FOREVER!!

I wouldn't necessarily say that! Quite a number of my classmates from high school graduation (1968) are still married to their first spouse from 1970. Now, if you are talking about the generations after the "Baby Boomer" one, I could definitely agree with your feelings.

I wish it were not the case, but these uplifting stories of enduring love and affection are very much the exception rather than the rule.

I wish it were not the case, but these uplifting stories of enduring love and affection are very much the exception rather than the rule.
Without love and optimization present in a marriage, it is very difficult for it to endure.

"LOVE STORY WORTHY OF A HOLLYWOOD SCRIPT" "
'I can't live without him': Last words of wife, 97, who 'died of a broken heart' just hours after her husband of 76 years passed away

It is a love story worthy of a Hollywood script. A devoted couple who were inseparable for more than seven decades of marriage have died within hours of each other – on their 76th wedding anniversary.

War hero Clifford Hartland passed away on July 29, 2014 at the age of 101 and his 97-year-old wife Marjorie followed him 14 hours later.

_clifford+marjorie_hartland.jpg

Their daughter Christine said her mother had 'died of a broken heart'. A frail Clifford passed away at Saint Martin's Rest Home in Coventry hours after his wife was discharged from hospital with a broken leg. 'We think he was waiting for her to come back to the room they shared before he died,' said Christine.

'Afterwards, Mum just kept saying, 'I can't live without him'. That night, Mum rang me. 'She was upset and I told her to think about all the happy times they'd shared in their marriage while she drifted off to sleep. 'She died at 1am, and I like to think that's exactly what she was doing.

'It's a perfect love story. I'm devastated they're gone but so happy for them - they've never really had to live without one another.'
The couple fell met in Cardiff before the war and married soon after in 1938.

But their love story was soon dealt a blow when Clifford, a gunner in the 7th Coast Regiment Royal Artillery, was sent to Singapore on October 1, 1941. When his regiment surrendered to the Japanese in 1942, Clifford was one of four survivors and he was forced to work as a prisoner of war on the infamous Thailand-Burma railway line. Conditions were brutal, and 13,000 prisoners died and were buried along the route.

An 11-stone young man when he left Liverpool Dock, Clifford weighed a pitiful five stone when he returned. Clifford and Marjorie's daughter Christine, 67, said: 'I don't know how Dad survived - mainly luck and determination, I think. There were 700 men in his regiment when they went out, but only four ever came back. Dad was the last to die from his regiment.

'But every day, on her way to work, Mum would go into the church she passed and pray that Dad would come home. She lived without him for four years, but she never believed he was dead.' Clifford had been mercilessly tortured, starved, and worked to the brink of death by the Japanese. He was forced to trek for miles each day through leech-filled swamps.
Mother-of-two Christine said her father had once been caught smoking banana leaves in one of the 15 prison camps he had been sent to. The Japanese officer who discovered him pushed a poisoned bamboo shoot through his leg, leaving a lifelong scar.
Last year, Clifford said: 'The worst thing was when we had to dig our own graves. We were due to be shot on the day the war ended.

'Then the 'all-clear' sounded. You can guess how I felt.' Clifford came home to a street party in Cardiff, and even a letter of thanks from the King. But his wife's welcome was the most treasured of all.

The war hero was discharged from the army in 1945, and Christine - the couple's only child - was born a year later.
The family moved to Hipswell Highway in Wyken, Coventry in 1947, and Clifford worked for Morris Engines as a factory foreman until he retired. Christine said: 'Dad was in hospital for a while after he came back from Burma, but neither of them cared. They were just so happy to be together again.

'They had an incredible marriage. They never, ever argued. Dad idolised Mum and she adored him.
'When they'd go to a restaurant, Dad would eat the same thing that Mum ordered.
'They loved dancing together, and they loved singing, too. Dad had been a choirboy at Gloucester Cathedral.'

I go through life solo by choice but I just live for love stories like these! I think true love is so sweet! I have to agree that they're not as rare as rumored. I have known too many people happily (I do not count those who are obviously not happily) married for too many years to think they are really rare but they are still awesome to hear about. Those of you who have been lucky enough to find the right one -- may you have each other for many more decades to come.

So, shoot me, I'm a die-hard romantic at heart.

The Internet Will Be Everywhere In 2025, For Better Or Worse

In 2025, the Internet will enhance our awareness of the world and ourselves while diminishing privacy and allowing abusers to "make life miserable for others," according to a new report by the Pew Research Center and Elon University.

But more than anything, experts say, it will become ubiquitous and embedded in our lives — the same way electricity is today.

"The Internet will shift from the place we find cat videos to a background capability that will be a seamless part of how we live our everyday lives," says Joe Touch, director of the University of Southern California's Information Sciences Institute. "We won't think about 'going online' or 'looking on the Internet' for something. We'll just be online, and just look."
http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechcon...ill-be-everywhere-in-2025-for-better-or-worse

istock_000020702896medium_wide-8a64c3c4901a89b1a4fd896b1f97c7ef3a003d15-s800-c85.jpg

Interesting article. I find it difficult now to imagine life without the 'Net - I might as well be in the Matrix for the amount of time I'm online. I work here, I play here, most of my friends are here (in virtual form, of course), I buy what little I buy here ...

It's to the point now that when I go out into the real world I'm disoriented. :confused:

In 2025, the Internet will enhance our awareness of the world and ourselves while diminishing privacy and allowing abusers to "make life miserable for others," according to a new report by the Pew Research Center and Elon University.

But more than anything, experts say, it will become ubiquitous and embedded in our lives — the same way electricity is today.

"The Internet will shift from the place we find cat videos to a background capability that will be a seamless part of how we live our everyday lives," says Joe Touch, director of the University of Southern California's Information Sciences Institute. "We won't think about 'going online' or 'looking on the Internet' for something. We'll just be online, and just look."
http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechcon...ill-be-everywhere-in-2025-for-better-or-worse

istock_000020702896medium_wide-8a64c3c4901a89b1a4fd896b1f97c7ef3a003d15-s800-c85.jpg

This is different from today how? Do I have to admit how much time I spend on-line. Basically most of my day except for 2-3 hours, I get off to watch a little TV and then I'm usually playing games on my tablet at the same time. If I have a doctor appointment or social engagement, I'm off-line but otherwise, I'm on-line.

Interesting article. I find it difficult now to imagine life without the 'Net - I might as well be in the Matrix for the amount of time I'm online. I work here, I play here, most of my friends are here (in virtual form, of course), I buy what little I buy here ...

It's to the point now that when I go out into the real world I'm disoriented. :confused:

There is a physical network of servers and hardware that drive the internet. These could be targeted by bad guys or the electric grid could go down for an extended period. The question is could we survive without the internet? Of course the other question is can we survive with it?:)

This is different from today how? Do I have to admit how much time I spend on-line. Basically most of my day except for 2-3 hours, I get off to watch a little TV and then I'm usually playing games on my tablet at the same time. If I have a doctor appointment or social engagement, I'm off-line but otherwise, I'm on-line.
It soundslike it will be in our lives, whether we want it or not. We will have no privacy. Everything we do will be done on-line, but in a new and more invasive way. Just like electricity moved from powering light bulbs to powering everything, The web will find it's way into every aspect of our life. Not a very promising picture.

There is a physical network of servers and hardware that drive the internet. These could be targeted by bad guys or the electric grid could go down for an extended period. The question is could we survive without the internet? Of course the other question is can we survive with it?:)

Well, speaking solely for myself, I got through the first few decades of my life without it and I think I did all right, so I'm pretty sure I could go back to *twitch* life without it. *twitch*

I'd just have to make some substitutions ...

For entertainment? Won't go back to TV, so I'll have to take up my cat-spanking hobby again.

For work? Guess I'll go be a bouncer again - this time in an old man's bar. And I could teach martial arts again, but just to hot younger women.

Buying stuff? Alphonse the Friendly Local Fence. He's got whatever you need. :p

Sounds like a plan and a half Phil! HAHA! My old Pop visited an "old man's bar" every afternoon for a draft. Walked a few blocks each way...to "keep the legs in shape"!:)

Sounds like a plan and a half Phil! HAHA! My old Pop visited an "old man's bar" every afternoon for a draft. Walked a few blocks each way...to "keep the legs in shape"!:)

I'd do the same if there were one within walking distance. Surprising, for Wilkes-Barre, there isn't. And the buses stop running here at 7PM, so I'd miss happy hour. :(

Back