Health Benefits of Intermittant Fasting and OMAD (one meal a day)

fancicoffee13

About seven months ago, I gave up all forms of sugar for Lent. Not just sweets, or sugar in my coffee - I read labels after learning all the different names for any form of sugar so I could avoid it. It was HARD to find foods I could have. I definitely couldn't have anything with a bar code on it. :confused:

I wasn't fat when I started, just a jiggly size 8, with a decent amount of tummy fat that I decided was simply part of the aging process. I was also sick all the time with something that I now believe was Metabolic Syndrome. Anyway, after 3 months with no sugar, I was a size 2, my energy went through the roof, I slept like a baby, and my 2-3 times per week migraines were gone. So was my tummy. ;) So I started researching what happened to me, and it's fascinating - the way the body will heal itself if given the chance.

In the past few months, I've gone low carb. I eat as much protein as I want, with the fat, but my carbs come only from fruits and vegetables. I do allow myself some sugar in my coffee (carefully measured), but other than that, I drink lemon water. The result: Now I'm a size 0-1 and my BMI says I'm underweight, so I'm adding calories wherever I can. Things like nuts, eggs, cheese, and whole milk. I feel thirty years younger. But I also do a cheat meal every 11-14 days, because life without pizza and ice cream is just sad.

Anyone else indulge in cheat meals? My next one is on Thanksgiving. You can bet I'm planning a really decadent (but small) dessert for myself LOL. No alcohol, though - I just don't tolerate it well anymore.
I am glad to hear of your success, but I did that for months and no change in my weight. My body probably healed though. I am a size 16-18 and weigh around 165. Can't seem to get lower on the scales. I have gone keto, no sugar, no carbs, plenty of water and coffee in the morning..

Jaylee

I am glad to hear of your success, but I did that for months and no change in my weight. My body probably healed though. I am a size 16-18 and weigh around 165. Can't seem to get lower on the scales. I have gone keto, no sugar, no carbs, plenty of water and coffee in the morning..
I didn't start out to lose weight; actually, the zero-sugar thing was for Lent last March. I was addicted to sugar, and I was just sick all the time, so it seemed like a good idea. What really scared me was the fact that I had symptoms of diabetes. Even my kidneys were being impacted.

The weight loss was an unexpected blessing, but maybe this is just where my body wants to be, you know? And maybe your body just wants to weigh around 165. I wanted only to feel healthy again, and it worked. I mean, if I still had an extra 25 pounds on me, it would still be a wonderful feeling.

I think women are too hard on themselves. I like to pursue the health benefits, because the rest will follow.

Catlady

@fancicoffee13 - have you talked to your doctor about it? Maybe there's an endocrinal reason why you can't lose weight.

Keesha

✨🎄✨
I’ve decided that this intermittent fasting isn’t really working for me. If anything it’s just slowed my metabolism down. One thing that I’ve HAD to change is my low carb strategy. Most low carb includes a lot of dairy. Unfortunately I’m sensitive to dairy , which was affecting my weight loss. As soon as I cut dairy out , the weight started melting off once more. Yayyyy. I’m finally back to losing weight once again. It’s amazing what food sensitivities can do.

fancicoffee13

I didn't start out to lose weight; actually, the zero-sugar thing was for Lent last March. I was addicted to sugar, and I was just sick all the time, so it seemed like a good idea. What really scared me was the fact that I had symptoms of diabetes. Even my kidneys were being impacted.

The weight loss was an unexpected blessing, but maybe this is just where my body wants to be, you know? And maybe your body just wants to weigh around 165. I wanted only to feel healthy again, and it worked. I mean, if I still had an extra 25 pounds on me, it would still be a wonderful feeling.

I think women are too hard on themselves. I like to pursue the health benefits, because the rest will follow.
Well, I am comfortable around 165, but my knees aren't. I had a total knee replacement and if I could lose about 10-20 pounds I think that would be good for my knees and my weight.

Catlady

No, I just tried the one meal a day diet, fasting 23 hours and eating in one hour and I did finally see results, but found out I need to wait until the holidays are over. I did lose weight and that is motivation!
@fancicoffee13 = You probably don't know this, this is PVC, I've changed my name to Catlady. LOL Yeah, start after the new year, there won't be so many temptations then.