Hit on today

The fact that he said he is a retired air force man reminds me of the guys on FB who send me friend requests with their pictures in uniforms.

I had a guy in Walmart ask me out for dinner and drinks! I am thinking in my head, "you are probably my son's age!" What I did I do to get his attention, I have no idea. But I have seen those articles telling people looking to meet someone to check out grocery stores or churches.

I went to the grocery today and this guy followed me all over the store. If I went fast, he went fast. if I went slow, he went slow. If I stopped to look at something, he stood a few feet away and pretended to look at something, but he was really looking at me the whole time.
I thought maybe he was a "store cop" but he followed me to the check out and stared at me while I paid for my groceries. Then he paid for his "as I made my get-a-way!) he ran outside to watch me drive away!
This was ODD!
I almost asked him WHAT? but I thought I'd just ignore him!
That's scary Gaer....

Says he used to work at the business on the card and is now a retired Air Force man and says "if you want to send me a text or call me we can meet up and do something some time".

If you are at all concerned then there should be enough info using that info to discover what you might want to know. If not concerned then chalk it up to a making your day brighter & aware that your smile if you did smile behind your mask works.

I would have walked away from such a pushy, rude man most likely. He could have been up to who knows what.
Get what you're saying Ruthanne, but he didn't present himself as an ass until halfway through the conversation.
I'm normally a fairly outgoing, upbeat engaging person, so, gave him the benefit of the doubt, until he did himself in. That was that.
I'm a strong, smart girl, I didn't feel threatened physically (even though he said stupid things) in the setting I was in - and if I had felt that way I know what to do. Nobody is messing with me, (unless I want them too) if they know what's good for them.
As I stated in the above post, I have been followed, the one time (above) in a mall, and twice in stores, and those instances, there was no benefit of the doubt, I sought help. My instincts let me know the difference.

Says he used to work at the business on the card and is now a retired Air Force man and says "if you want to send me a text or call me we can meet up and do something some time".

If you are at all concerned then there should be enough info using that info to discover what you might want to know. If not concerned then chalk it up to a making your day brighter & aware that your smile if you did smile behind your mask works.
Research is my middle name Knight, and part of my job...love to research things, so it's the first thing I did when I got home.
He lives in a subdivision about 6 minutes (2.3 mi) from me.
The place he used to work has been closed for a few years.
.....and found out a few other minor things.
So done deal....

Get what you're saying Ruthanne, but he didn't present himself as an ass until halfway through the conversation.
I'm normally a fairly outgoing, upbeat engaging person, so, gave him the benefit of the doubt, until he did himself in. That was that.
I'm a strong, smart girl, I didn't feel threatened physically (even though he said stupid things) in the setting I was in - and if I had felt that way I know what to do. Nobody is messing with me, (unless I want them too) if they know what's good for them.
As I stated in the above post, I have been followed, the one time (above) in a mall, and twice in stores, and those instances, there was no benefit of the doubt, I sought help. My instincts let me know the difference.
Well, that's the way you saw it. I saw it differently as by the way you explained it right from the beginning.

I went to the grocery today and this guy followed me all over the store. If I went fast, he went fast. if I went slow, he went slow. If I stopped to look at something, he stood a few feet away and pretended to look at something, but he was really looking at me the whole time.
I thought maybe he was a "store cop" but he followed me to the check out and stared at me while I paid for my groceries. Then he paid for his "as I made my get-a-way!) he ran outside to watch me drive away!
This was ODD!
I almost asked him WHAT? but I thought I'd just ignore him!

Scary stuff Gaer. If and when there are no police close by, a small revolver in the purse. Simple to operate, point and pull... no slide action or safety buttons to worry about in a sudden and extremely dangerous situation.

DSC03657.JPG

This thread reminds me of a couple posters I created a couple decades ago;

talk-the-stalk.jpg

LkMqsem.jpg

Attachments

• 54.jpg
    54.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 3
Then this other guy shows up outside his driver side window, beckoning to me to tell the guy to roll down his window.
Obviously they knew each and were talking back and forth for a minute, catching up.....
Would you contact him further?
Maybe I've watched too much Criminal Minds, but I'd be worried about this "other guy" being part of a possible tag team. One to distract you, the other to stick the needle in your neck.

Maybe I've watched too much Criminal Minds, but I'd be worried about this "other guy" being part of a possible tag team. One to distract you, the other to stick the needle in your neck.
You're right, Caroln, good point, you can never rule out something like that happening.

Fictional shows like Criminal Minds play out more like non-fiction in this day and age.

I didn't get a feeling of being physically threatened or in danger, his weapon was his mouth, but you never know.

I was standing outside on the passenger side of the vehicle, no one sitting there, guy was sitting in drivers seat, and the other guy he knew was standing outside his driver's side door.....so would've had to have been a weapon of another choice.

Last edited:
This man was probably up to no good, so best to forget him. This is his tactic he uses,
and some lonely women may contact him. An obvious bad come-on, He might have been after money.
Maybe one day a man will be sincere and innocent of motives, and ladies will not be scared off.

A man rolls down his car window, & says I like your smile. A thank you & continue walking might seem to be the thing to do in this age of suspicion. But rather than do that a conversation was begun.

During the conversation someone approaches the driver , begins a conversation. Time to walk away? Not yet when the other person walks away the conversation continues.

Why would the man that rolled his window down to create a 1st. impression think that meeting another time was out of the question?
So, my first impression was that he wasn't shy, secondly, he was handsome, appeared to be in his 60's, in shape, in a nice vehicle......

His action
"hands me a business card with pre-written home phone # and a text # (hmm...thinking how often does he pull this maneuver?) Says he used to work at the business on the card and is now a retired Air Force man."

His offer
"if you want to send me a text or call me we can meet up and do something some time".

Nothing about where do you live or can I get your phone number or any way to make future contact. So with no further contact there is no way to know if the handsome fit man in his 60's in a nice car is really a nice person or someone that would do harm.

Ah the mystery!!

A man rolls down his car window, & says I like your smile. A thank you & continue walking might seem to be the thing to do in this age of suspicion. But rather than do that a conversation was begun.

During the conversation someone approaches the driver , begins a conversation. Time to walk away? Not yet when the other person walks away the conversation continues.

Why would the man that rolled his window down to create a 1st. impression think that meeting another time was out of the question?
So, my first impression was that he wasn't shy, secondly, he was handsome, appeared to be in his 60's, in shape, in a nice vehicle......

His action
"hands me a business card with pre-written home phone # and a text # (hmm...thinking how often does he pull this maneuver?) Says he used to work at the business on the card and is now a retired Air Force man."

His offer
"if you want to send me a text or call me we can meet up and do something some time".

Nothing about where do you live or can I get your phone number or any way to make future contact. So with no further contact there is no way to know if the handsome fit man in his 60's in a nice car is really a nice person or someone that would do harm.

Ah the mystery!!
Well, first and foremost, I'm touched my post consumed your thoughts to the point of writing all these whimsical paragraphs.

Would you like his phone numbers? I'd be happy to pass them on to you, so you similar men could corroborate stories and events of the day. The good ole' boys mentality lives on.

Your last paragraph, seriously?
Do you think a woman would tell a stranger where she lives or give him her phone number?
Following me here? You're out of touch, it's okay, I understand.

In addition to the man I encountered that day, thank you for reminding me of the snarky men out there like you.

A Knight, but not a King.

Ah, the mystery!!

"Well, first and foremost, I'm touched my post consumed your thoughts to the point of writing all these whimsical paragraphs."

Not really your post it was the other posts. Red flags and warnings. What I read didn't generate that kind of response. Curiosity yes but no red flags.

Curiosity as to how a man sitting on the drivers side of his car with the window rolled up managed to get your attention. You posted that he liked you smile even though you were wearing a mask. I can't visualize that kind of encounter as happening. But somehow it happened. But no matter how that was possible at that point the choice to thank him & move on didn't happen.

Doubtful to me that judging his age, his looks, & physical appearance was possible as you were passing by. But that could be explained by you stopping to chat for several minutes. Even to the extent of waiting until he rolled down his window to chat with another person.

"Would you like his phone numbers? I'd be happy to pass them on to you, so you similar men could corroborate stories and events of the day. The good ole' boys mentality lives on."

Of course not but you did. You could have declined the offer or threw the card in the trash. But that didn't happen.

"Your last paragraph, seriously?
Do you think a woman would tell a stranger where she lives or give him her phone number?
Following me here? You're out of touch, it's okay, I understand."

Seriously I don't think a woman would stop to chat with a stranger for several minutes. I don't think a woman would give out contact information. Your post indicated you showed interest in the stranger. What you chatted about for several minutes is unknown. His comment about taking off your clothes seems off the wall but might have been as you put it his way of way of humor befor offering you his contact info.

"In addition to the man I encountered that day, thank you for reminding me of the snarky men out there like you."

If I'm snarky in addition to the man you encountered that day when did he become snarky?

As for not being a Knight. I'm guessing you mean the historical kind where a Knight rescues a damsel in distress. Excuse me but what you described doesn't exactly translate to a damsel in distress. Had I been there and you were being held & screaming for help I would have helped.

You ended with should you contact him?

Considering you spent time talking to this stranger for several minutes took & kept his contact information. Do you feel comfortable enough to meet in a public place of your choosing?

What kind of desperation is it to contact a man who gives you his card? If he were a serious man he would invite you to meet in a public place for coffee and ask if He could call You, not vice-versa. I hope you were just joking when you ask: Should I contact him further. Yeah.

Make sure you say "Can I see you again, pretty please? I beg you, may I see you again? Can't stop thinking about our encounter. I'm desperate."

eta
Must say You have a beautiful smile though you were wearing a mask is a good pick up line! Old fashioned but cute.

What kind of desperation is it to contact a man who gives you his card? If he were a serious man he would invite you to meet in a public place for coffee and ask if He could call You, not vice-versa. I hope you were just joking when you ask: Should I contact him further. Yeah.

Make sure you say "Can I see you again, pretty please? I beg you, may I see you again? Can't stop thinking about our encounter. I'm desperate."
Or he could realize the way society works today & leave it open for a future meeting by a woman initiating contact instead of him. She did that spend several minutes talking to him, a complete stranger.

Since women's lib & women wanting equality in all things, wouldn't the man be politically correct by letting her make the decision?

Back