How cheap are you?

I once wouldn't buy a pair of picture frames because they were $4. I started singing under my breath: Cheapy cheap. The cheapest of the cheap. I looked up and some guy was smiling at me. Then his wife grabbed his arm and angrily walked him away. I was singing to myself. Wasn't looking for an audience. Geez.

This logical, pragmatic person that is little $$$ or material oriented beyond functionality, rates very frugal and not because I cannot afford to spend more. If something works like my old 2007 Forester with 264k miles or my mattress on bedroom floor instead of a bed, no need to FIX IT. There is a difference between being frugal and illogically cheap.

I seriously hate food waste. So I've thought of myself as frugal, never cheap. Case in point... I will get every bit of ketchup from the bottle even if I have to add a little water to the bottom. It's not that I can't afford ketchup... I always have 2 or 3 bottles in the pantry! It's just that I've always done it. (What I see as the difference would be buying the cheapest ketchup I could find and then hating it every time I use it... then I'd be "cheap.")

I actually PREFER the Walmart Great Value bargain brand frozen mac + cheese entrees over the more expensive brand name ones. When i was knitting i PREFERRED the inexpensive big box store acrylic yarn over the expensive fancy yarns other knitters were mad about. "A fool and her money are soon parted!"

I’m not frugal at all with money however I do make wise money choices. I shop around and read lots of reviews on products before I buy, buy things in bulk when I can. I’m not frugal with others though, I’m very generous when it comes to family and friends. I treat others the way I like to be treated.

I seriously hate food waste. So I've thought of myself as frugal, never cheap. Case in point... I will get every bit of ketchup from the bottle even if I have to add a little water to the bottom. It's not that I can't afford ketchup... I always have 2 or 3 bottles in the pantry! It's just that I've always done it. (What I see as the difference would be buying the cheapest ketchup I could find and then hating it every time I use it... then I'd be "cheap.")
I can definitely relate. I hate food waste also. I now freeze leftovers. Not on my plate - Not that cheap lol. If I cook a pot of broccoli, green beans, chili, etc. and hubby and I don't eat the leftovers in a day or two - I put it in glad bags and freeze it. It really comes in handy. I also squeeze the last drop of toothpaste out that I can get.:ROFLMAO:

I am frugal. But today I just spent $2700 for 4 windows. But they are triple pane, locally manufactured, and of great quality. But otherwise I shop bargains, saving about $30 on groceries each week. And when I worked, I brown bagged lunch for 29 years - do the math on that! Which is why I have money for the windows.

Back