How do you deal with laundry?

I can't stand a full laundry basket. :mad: I'd do a load a day if it wasn't so wasteful.

Even so, I do laundry several times a week. Ron has work clothes that are nasty from physical work in the heat, the dirty towels build up really fast (it doesn't help that we will both sometimes shower twice a day and we don't have a lot of towel storage,) I change out my dogs' bedding every week so it doesn't start to smell (even though I can mostly still smell the fabric softener on the things when I take them up to wash them lol!) and then there are the sheets and kitchen towels and our snuggle blankets and napkins etc.

If Ron runs out of something he uncomplainingly just runs a load which I really appreciate. Otherwise I do it all....and am happy to, as I find running laundry soothing and therapeutic. I know, I'm weird. ;)

I tend to hang most of my clothes to dry, and some of Ron's non-work clothes too, after tumbling them for just a minute to get the wrinkles out. (HATE IRONING!! so this step eliminates having to haul out the iron and ironing board.) Ron's work clothes go in the dryer.

I can't stand putting the laundry away. I don't mind the towels etc., but the folded clothes are so annoying. I put my own away, Ron puts his away...again, uncomplainingly as he's so happy to have someone other than him do the laundry because it's not a task he enjoys.

Do you run laundry frequently, or are you a "batch processor" and do it only when you've nothing left to wear? If you have a partner, do you do theirs, put theirs away? Curious minds...... ;)

Why don't you and Ron take turns doing laundry? Or if you can afford it pay someone to do it for You?

I did all the towels and sheets this morning. I usually do the bedding on a Monday, but I'm gonna change it this w/e to a little warmer stuff, and I need hubs help with it when he's off work.

Although it's really warm during the day , it's beginning to get chilly at night, and last night with just a counterpane on my bed I was cold!!

I can't stand a full laundry basket. :mad: I'd do a load a day if it wasn't so wasteful.

Even so, I do laundry several times a week. Ron has work clothes that are nasty from physical work in the heat, the dirty towels build up really fast (it doesn't help that we will both sometimes shower twice a day and we don't have a lot of towel storage,) I change out my dogs' bedding every week so it doesn't start to smell (even though I can mostly still smell the fabric softener on the things when I take them up to wash them lol!) and then there are the sheets and kitchen towels and our snuggle blankets and napkins etc.

If Ron runs out of something he uncomplainingly just runs a load which I really appreciate. Otherwise I do it all....and am happy to, as I find running laundry soothing and therapeutic. I know, I'm weird. ;)

I tend to hang most of my clothes to dry, and some of Ron's non-work clothes too, after tumbling them for just a minute to get the wrinkles out. (HATE IRONING!! so this step eliminates having to haul out the iron and ironing board.) Ron's work clothes go in the dryer.

I can't stand putting the laundry away. I don't mind the towels etc., but the folded clothes are so annoying. I put my own away, Ron puts his away...again, uncomplainingly as he's so happy to have someone other than him do the laundry because it's not a task he enjoys.

Do you run laundry frequently, or are you a "batch processor" and do it only when you've nothing left to wear? If you have a partner, do you do theirs, put theirs away? Curious minds...... ;)
Us bachelor type fellows delay laundry until we run out of underwear.

It costs me $3.00 a load and $2.00 to dry so I delay washing until the laundry basket is full

Sometimes I will use two washers because the dryer will dry both. So I save $2.00. It hasn't changed my lifestyle but I can get a can of beer for $2.00.

Putting the laundry away. For me it's fun time. I just sort everything out depending on whether I have to hang it or just put it a drawer.

Pants, shorts, t shirts, have to be hung in the closet.

Socks (always some missing) . I have fun with this. I have a small basket for the socks and when I roll them up I toss them in the basket which is about 6 feet away. I used to play basketball in high school. My friend used to watch me do this and rate me on it. See it becomes a game instead of a chore.

Underwear? In the drawer unsorted. I have to buy new ones, the elastic is going and it feels like my pants are falling down but it's the underwear.

I don't iron anymore. If you hang the t shirts right away they don't get wrinkled.

I will put a crease in my shorts when I feel ambitious.

Speaking of laundry....I have a rare day off work today, so I’m catching up on things around the house. I’ve just put in my 7th load of laundry!!

1. Whites
  2. Darks
  3. Sheets (2 sets)
  4. Bath Towels (7) and dish towels.
  5. A delicate load
  6. The chenille bedspread and shams from our bed I do this every month or two
  7. The snuggle throws from the couch and chair.
There’s still a load of doggie beds and blankets to go and then I’m done...I think!😉 I’m on a roll though so who knows what else I’ll find to wash. Maybe I’ll start taking down curtains!!!

In between I’ve loaded the dishwasher, made the bed, epilated my legs, swept and mopped the floor, put away the presents Ron got last night (he and my granddaughter Lucy share a birthday) and also the bags and tissue and ribbon that was salvageable, made myself an egg on toast for lunch, and hen as soon as I get that last load in I’m heading to the store.

Tonight I’m meeting a dear friend/client and we’re going to see the Downton Abbey movie!!

I love doing my laundry as soon as the basket is full I will do the laundry. I don’t let it become unmanageable. This chore seems to be very therapeutic for me I think it has to do with my need for control. I feel the same way about doing the dishes LOL

Not much laundry here. Once a week, occasionally twice seems to do it. I love the machine I have, it's a front loader, and uses little water and soap.

Raising 5 boys was a joy (that's sarcasm) when it came to laundry. I was lucky to have a big freezer in my laundry room. I folded everyone's stuff on it, and they were responsible to put it away. But good grief, don't open the washer when I was doing a load of white socks. And it took a whole load, for all those boys, and my husband. I always washed them in hot water. Stinky boy feet and hot water don't mix well. I remember a few times I threw a random sock in. It was nasty.

Now that I'm alone I do laundry about once a week. When the weather's warm or at least not uncomfortably cold on my hands, I hang it outside to dry on two lines I've strung across my deck. In the wintry months I hang it inside....my dining room has a box beam across the ceiling with a molding that can engage the hook of a coathanger, so I hang pants and shirts on it with wire coathangers that I've bent the hooks 90* out of true. OK, it humidifies the dry air of the winter house, but I discovered that cheap detergent renders a yucky aroma to the place...so I buy better now. I've got a granny rack too that I place over a heat register. What an exciting life.......

Not much laundry here. Once a week, occasionally twice seems to do it. I love the machine I have, it's a front loader, and uses little water and soap.

Raising 5 boys was a joy (that's sarcasm) when it came to laundry. I was lucky to have a big freezer in my laundry room. I folded everyone's stuff on it, and they were responsible to put it away. But good grief, don't open the washer when I was doing a load of white socks. And it took a whole load, for all those boys, and my husband. I always washed them in hot water. Stinky boy feet and hot water don't mix well. I remember a few times I threw a random sock in. It was nasty.
I know it can get overwhelming like when I was a Nanny back in North Carolina. 5 little ones up to age 14 I think she was. Anyway, for me now, it is kind of therapeutic, and I wash my dishes by hand which I love the warm to hot water on my hands ;)

I've seen it done

The same gorgeous lady that puts the bed together moments after I rise, does the wash

I've trained her where and how to put my stuff

It's been like this for 50 yrs

So far, so good

Now that I'm alone I do laundry about once a week. When the weather's warm or at least not uncomfortably cold on my hands, I hang it outside to dry on two lines I've strung across my deck. In the wintry months I hang it inside....my dining room has a box beam across the ceiling with a molding that can engage the hook of a coathanger, so I hang pants and shirts on it with wire coathangers that I've bent the hooks 90* out of true. OK, it humidifies the dry air of the winter house, but I discovered that cheap detergent renders a yucky aroma to the place...so I buy better now. I've got a granny rack too that I place over a heat register. What an exciting life.......
Wow, this good info about it humidifying the air!! I never thought of that. My friend, and many here were also friends with Ina, did a lot of things in the older ways. She taught me a lot, like how to season and use Cast Iron skillets, I never use anything else now ;)

Wow, this good info about it humidifying the air!! I never thought of that. My friend, and many here were also friends with Ina, did a lot of things in the older ways. She taught me a lot, like how to season and use Cast Iron skillets, I never use anything else now ;)

Oh, Denise! .. I had several (5 or 6) when I sold my house a couple years ago. I could not give those pans/skillets away! ..😀 ... even my "country girl" daughter said NO to them .... she couldn't lift them up anymore. ."just too darn heavy to mess with" ...

It's just me. So I bought 4 tall kitchen wastebaskets (24 inches tall), one is enough for one load and when one is full I do a laundry load. One is for colors, another bed sheets, one is bath and kitchen towels, and the fourth is Misc for delicates and hand washables etc. Since it's just me it takes a while to fill each one. After I wash I hang on the line until just damp then put in the dryer to fluff and get rid of cat hairs . Color clothes I put straight in the dryer, don't like to see those clothesline pin marks on the sweaters and t-shirts. I never iron anymore, hate ironing.

Last edited:
she couldn't lift them up anymore. ."just too darn heavy to mess with" ...

I only have one, a big frying pan. I mainly use it to cook flatbreads on top of the stove. I gave the big skillet away, just on empty it was already 10 lbs. Taking it out of the oven when full of hot food was a burn accident waiting to happen.

Oh, Denise! .. I had several (5 or 6) when I sold my house a couple years ago. I could not give those pans/skillets away! ..😀 ... even my "country girl" daughter said NO to them .... she couldn't lift them up anymore. ."just too darn heavy to mess with" ...
I still have to be real careful lifting the big one, but I bought a little one since I cook most things in that. One serving types;) I feel so safe using them because every non-stick type I ever bought just got cruddy no matter how careful I was with them. I'm a cast-iron type lady, can't hurt me. I also found that Flax Seed Oil (from NOW foods/supplements) is wonderful for keeping them nice. So glad it doesn't effect the flavor of my foods either!! Thought it would because it tasted yuck!! maxresdefault.jpg Whoops, I took us off the laundry subject. Let's get back and talk about dirty diapers ;)

Back