How many single men turn down the chance of relationship with married woman?

Well you know, why does she have to be honest with herself if her husband was the one being dishonest? You probably meant it way different and I am responding way different. Great discussion.
Why should she stoop as low as her hubby does--she will lower her own self esteem if she is not honest IMO. I've been there in those shoes, too, had a dishonest husband and I did all the wrong things, again IMO, and suffered for it. I did the wrong things because I was too young and immature in my thinking but now I know better, I feel. If I would have to do it over I would have got out faster and then found someone else.;)

I have a friend been married 5x.. You think its the man or her? I think she needs to work on her.
Who does?
I was to blame the first time. He was blame the second time. I've taken Nellie to pasture. The barn is closed. LOL

Ok Ladybj I just re-read that. It could be her BUT it takes two to tango.

I have a friend been married 5x.. You think its the man or her? I think she needs to work on her.
I met a couple at a dinner party once, who had quite a story. He was a dentist who had been married and divorced five times. This time he wasn't married to his partner, but they bought houses next door to one another, as the only way they could cope with their relationship, even though they seemed very happy, (silly old fool you've got to think, but who knows?). :unsure:.

I'll keep my reasons for asking out of the discussion for now, .
Now did Grahamg get caught doing something he shouldn't have been doing?????
Or just upset over a missed opportunity....

You have to consider the relative ages of your audience. Younger people would probably have a vastly different take on it.
When I was young and single.... anyone interested was fair game....
Learned a few things from some older experienced ladies...

I know my post wasn't really clear. I had a hard time putting into words what I was thinking. Yes, what you said is true...but regardless she needs to leave (yes, it can be terribly hard but should be done asap) before starting another relationship for her to be honest with herself and the new prospect--cheating in any sense is not being honest with anyone.
Ruthanne and I are on the same page. Marriage is many things - a legal contract and a deep personal commitment as well as an enduring relationship. The contract is intended as a lifetime one but no-one should be forced to live in a relationship that has gone sour, hence the need for divorce as a means of releasing the couple from vows they can no longer fulfil and opening the way for new relationships.

I learned long ago that marriage vows must be renewed daily and we do this by expressing commitment and love in words and actions. When we discover that we can no longer do this, the marriage is in deep trouble. Even so, it is not necessarily over. With help it is possible to rekindle love, provided no-one else comes between the couple. Honesty is important at this time. If there is no hope going forward then it is necessary to face the reality of separation. This is not easy but in the long run it is less damaging to all concerned than cheating.

Last edited:
No one is looking for any award, or I'm not, or can't be assumed to be because no one knows whether I would or would not turn down the chance of a relationship with a married woman or have done. Not asking for a friend either, as my friends who I've mentioned and who admitted infidelity, don't need anyone to tell them what they should have done.
I should have mentioned that although these two friends and former bosses were guilty in terms of cheating on their first wives, they didn't break up anyone else's marriage by choosing the women who became their next partners, (so I suppose they don't really fit in with the thread topic, oops! 😡). .

Here is how things were done in a stricter, more unforgiving world, "according to Shakespeare anyway):
https://www.sparknotes.com/shakespeare/measure/summary/

Shakespeare's Measure for Measure centers around the fate of Claudio, who is arrested by Lord Angelo, the temporary leader of Vienna. Angelo is left in charge by the Duke, who pretends to leave town but instead dresses as a friar to observe the goings-on in his absence. Angelo is strict, moralistic, and unwavering in his decision-making; he decides that there is too much freedom in Vienna and takes it upon himself to rid the city of brothels and unlawful sexual activity. Laws against these behaviors and institutions already exist, and Angelo simply decides to enforce them more strictly. Claudio is arrested for impregnating Juliet, his lover, before they were married. Although they were engaged and their sexual intercourse was consensual, Claudio is sentenced to death in order to serve as an example to the other Viennese citizens.

Isabella, Claudio's sister, is about to enter a nunnery when her brother is arrested. She is unfailingly virtuous, religious, and chaste. When she hears of her brother's arrest, she goes to Angelo to beg him for mercy. He refuses, but suggests that there might be some way to change his mind. When he propositions her, saying that he will let Claudio live if she agrees to have sexual intercourse with him, she is shocked and immediately refuses. Her brother agrees at first but then changes his mind. Isabella is left to contemplate a very important decision.

Isabella is, in a way, let off the hook when the Duke, dressed as a friar, intervenes. He tells her that Angelo's former lover, Mariana, was engaged to be married to him, but he abandoned her when she lost her dowry in a shipwreck. The Duke forms a plan by which Isabella will agree to have sex with the Angelo, but then Mariana will go in her place. The next morning, Angelo will pardon Claudio and be forced to marry Mariana according to the law.

Everything goes according to plan, except that Angelo does not pardon Claudio, fearing revenge. The provost and the Duke send him the head of a dead pirate, claiming that it belonged to Claudio, and Angelo believes that his orders were carried out. Isabella is told that her brother is dead, and that she should submit a complaint to the Duke, who is due to arrive shortly, accusing Angelo of immoral acts.

The Duke returns in his usual clothes, saying that he will hear all grievances immediately. Isabella tells her story, and the Duke pretends not to believe her. Eventually, the Duke reveals his dual identity, and everyone is forced to be honest. Angelo confesses to his misdeeds, Claudio is pardoned, and the Duke asks Isabella to marry him.

This is true always. The person they cheat with, cheats on them, too. Never fails and serves them right.
I've been told, and witnessed, those who choose to leave, or cheat on one partner or spouse, repeat the behaviour quite often, (what do they say about "getting your retaliation in first"?).
A friend of mine, who was the first woman I met through internet dating, and she figured out within the short meeting at a bar, we were not suited. However, most unexpectedly she turned into a good friend afterwards, even when she met a great guy " the normal way", through attending events their respective children were involved in. Anyway, this woman would not entertain any man who had cheated on their wife/partner as she believed they were bound to do the same to her, if the going got tough, as she was pretty astute! ;) .

My first wife, who I divorced in 1970 because she couldn't keep her pants on, has been married six times. Granted, number five died of a heart attack, and number six was a recycled number three before he died.

Married SIX times?
What does guy number 4,5 and 6 think in order to convince themselves it’s a good idea.
What they were thinking beats the devil out of me. She wasn't that good looking.
Number 2, who she cheated with when we were married. Left her with a baby girl for a 19 year old within 18 months. He never paid child support or contributed to his daughter's upbringing in anyway.
Number 3 was an alcoholic, just like she was and had trouble holding a job. He quite drinking before he became number six, even though she was still drinking heavy.
Number 4 beat her up several times and wound up in jail.
Number 5 was another alcoholic and I am told that he treated her pretty well before he died.
Number 6 grew up quite a bit before he married her again.

I have had several one-nighters with married women and most but not all of them were their idea. Some of they occurred in pressure cooker clubs in Houston and other southern states. I also had two experiences with women that insisted I spend the night with them the night before they are to get married. True story. The first when I was in my senior year in college and the second when I was 31. They were both unforgettable lovers. I had one offer from a woman and very close friend to have an affair while her fiancé as was a very close buddy so I immediately declined and was sad that she would even suggest it being the close friends that we all were. Being a life long bachelor and womanizer in my younger days I have many great memories of being a bachelor.:)

In my opinion, this is a discussion for another forum. Do you realize that there may be (likely are) some people on this forum who have been severely hurt and maybe even damaged due to an affair and you are again rehashing an event that caused them irreparable pain?

Do you realize that this is an issue that has caused hundreds of thousands of lives?

What are you, a sadist?
Call 911

most but not all of them were their idea. Some of they occurred in pressure cooker clubs in Houston and other southern states. I also had two experiences with women that insisted I spend the night with them the night before they are to get married.

Geez you portray yourself as a real stud muffin.
And still single.
Go figure.

Last edited:
🥴.... no words for that. Meaning 6 or 7 marriages. I don’t understand how anyone can feel special after all of that. Certainly different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:
I'll keep my reasons for asking out of the discussion for now, if that alright, and I didn't find your post inappropriate at all, I'm glad to say.
I'm a little taken aback by the strong reactions in this "enlightened age", (read " anything goes, high divorce rates, no fault divorce age"). :unsure: .
Do you equate "Enlightened" as a blank check, no holds barred, free for all? How we treat others matters, so much vanity. I was going to say it's comical how we (including me) justify our own bad behavior, but its sad rather than funny.

Last edited:

Back