How's your weather today?

Can't find the weather thread...BIG wind storm here

Here in the Western NY area we have been experiencing yet another major windstorm in several days. Today wind gusts have gotten up to 81MPH in areas. Mainly 40-70 MPH. 100,000 customers in Monroe County with no power. In Batavia, they say the wind is a probable cause of a train derailment. Trees down, wires down. They stopped just short of a full travel ban, simply no unnecessary travel. Many activities closed.

I was at the grocery store after leaving a medical appointment. The store has the automatic doors that open in or out, rather than slide. When myself and another customer were leaving, the wind was so strong the doors would not stay open. Since the other customer had a shopping cart, I had to hold the door for her to get through. WOW. Have not seen it this bad in years. Hurricaine force winds. I am glad there is no heavy rain or snow attached to this.

We had strong gusts her in eastern NY today around 2:30 pm. Windy enough to blow several shingles off my back porch roof! It got so dark the street lights came on, but not a drop of rain.

A friend lost siding off her house, and had a couple windows broken from falling trees in the storm we had the other day. I am glad we do not get this all the time

It was extremely windy by me too Marie, especially the day before yesterday, worst at 40-60mph winds causing lots of damage, outages, etc. The dryness and winds are affecting everyone's allergies here too. Thank goodness we had no real damage to our home or property like other folks had. Never heard of an automatic door being affect by the winds before, and those downed power lines are so dangerous! :eek: Glad you and your hubby are okay.

Very miserable weather over here in Germany,at the moment! Cold,wet and windy.I'm looking for spring to come-every single day!
I thought it might help to plant some pansies on my balcony,but no sun today!

Very miserable weather over here in Germany,at the moment! Cold,wet and windy.I'm looking for spring to come-every single day!
I thought it might help to plant some pansies on my balcony,but no sun today!

Yup, the German Winters can be pretty brutal. I spent 4 years on an Air Force base over there, and Winter was no fun. But, you folks don't have to endure endless days of brutal Summer heat, so I guess it balances out. Germany was Great, and I had some really good times over there, and even brought back a nice little Fraulein with me....52+ years ago.

Day after our big wind storm. Wind died down late last evening. Lots of trees and power lines down. Many still without power, probably up to 2-3 days. Got an email from our electric company going into what they are doing. Many power companies from around the state, and even Canada are here to help out. Two counties hit pretty bad. We got lucky in my neighborhood, did not lose power.

Yup, the German Winters can be pretty brutal. I spent 4 years on an Air Force base over there, and Winter was no fun. But, you folks don't have to endure endless days of brutal Summer heat, so I guess it balances out. Germany was Great, and I had some really good times over there, and even brought back a nice little Fraulein with me....52+ years ago.
Hi Don!Congratulations to your Fräulein! Please say hello to her! Our winters are not as harsh,as they're used to be.
We don't have snow very often,these days.Being a kid,there was snow every winter-and lot's of it!:)
Youre right,brutal heat must be unbearable! I could'nt live with that!

Hi Don!Congratulations to your Fräulein! Please say hello to her! Our winters are not as harsh,as they're used to be.
We don't have snow very often,these days.Being a kid,there was snow every winter-and lot's of it!:)
Youre right,brutal heat must be unbearable! I could'nt live with that!

I imagine the climate in Germany is slowly warming....as it is in the rest of the world. I remember one Winter over there when we had a plane and pilot go down in the woods about 5 miles from the base. We all joined the search in bitter cold weather, with several inches of snow on the ground...even with a heavy parka and boots on, it was a miserable day in the woods. Here we get a few bitter cold days in the Winter and several weeks of very hot weather in late July through mid September...and it can get pretty oppressive during the afternoons. We've had a mild Winter, so far, with only a couple of inches of snow, and several days in the low 70's. Today, a big Canadian cold air mass hit the area, and this will be a chilly week with some parts getting a light snow...my outdoor time will be limited for the next 3 or 4 days.

Here, it is unseasonably warm, and very much so. I've actually just called to have my swamp cooler started up next week. Of course, I will still be able to use heat if I need to, but we doubt we'll have any more hard freezes here this year. It has been a very mild winter. We've had some godawful winds, but that's normal; hardly any snow to speak of.

Digging out after Blizzard "Eugene" that hit us all day yesterday from dawn till dusk. My town officially got 20 inches of snow, but it looks like more in my little neighborhood. Streets are being plowed, but icy. What a mess but at least we didn't lose power.

How have others fared?

Had almost 30" of snow since yesterday. Schools closed, some highways also.
On what major highway near me people were stuck in their cars for over 12 hours
because a semi jackknifed and cars were unable to pass it!

Back