I am introducing a post for your photographs with the theme - Seen Better Days

Pendragon Castle near Kirkby Stephen on a wet gloomy morning.

52684635547_88f1173180_h.jpg

"Pendragon Castle is reputed to have been founded by Uther Pendragon, the father of King Arthur. According to legend, Uther Pendragon and a hundred of his men were killed here when the Saxon invaders poisoned the well. There are also claims that the Romans built at least a temporary fort here, along the road between their forts at Brough and Bainbridge. But (apart from legend and supposition), there is no real evidence that there was any building here before the Normans built their castle in the 12th Century.

The castle was built next to the River Eden in the Vale of Mallerstang in the late 12th century, probably by Hugh de Morville. Like the nearby castles of Appleby and Brough, Pendragon came into the possession of the Clifford family. It was abandoned after a raiding Scottish army set fire to the castle in 1341, but was rebuilt in 1360. It was left in ruins by another fire in 1541, but was restored in the mid 17th century by Lady Anne Clifford. The castle gradually fell back into ruin after her death – and now remains a romantic ruin, set in glorious scenery."

Hollydolly wrote - awww HC...I thought better of you...despite perhaps earlier rock and roll lifestyle .. she really doesn't look very different to the average 76 year old, we all get old..

Come off it HD, Marianne may look like you but she certainly dosn’t resemble me (76 next month) or any of my friends around the same age, I imagine illness has taken its toll and we do all get old but, I’m not going down without a fight !
View attachment 297857 View attachment 297858
Is that your picture, @Wren? If so, you are lovely! You don't look your age. I think also with Marianne's photo, she looks like she gained a bit of weight and that can also affect facial features (sagging chin).

Is that your picture, @Wren? If so, you are lovely! You don't look your age. I think also with Marianne's photo, she looks like she gained a bit of weight and that can also affect facial features (sagging chin).
Thanks for the compliment palides, yes the photo is of me, taken a few weeks ago at an afternoon tea with my daughter.

I have gained weight over the years but try to keep it at an acceptable level, also use of cosmetics helps (although the hands are a bit of a giveaway) ! :LOL:

A long, long time ago, South-West England has seen better days.

Tintagel Castle, King Arthur's birthplace has seen more exciting days.

Camelot has seen better days; the Red Lion Pup below the hill has a wonderful scrapbook of the excavations.

Is anyone still looking for King Arthur's Excalibur at the Dozmary Pool?

Glastonbury, site of the Holy Grail and King Arthur's grave; this place has history to tell.

PS, in 1989 I bought my kids their first PC, and soon I had to buy a second one to stop the fighting. Then I bought them computer games dealing with stories of old England. So, when we rented a camper in Germany in 1993, we had to cross the Channel and visiting all the places of their computer games, such as Loch Ness, Sherwood Forest, King Arthur, etc.

[reproduced from our 1993 photo album; regrettable not very sharp. Also posted at King Arthur's legend in pictures]

DSC03394.JPGDSC03385.JPGDSC03387.JPGDSC03388.JPGDSC03393.JPG

Last edited:

Back