I dislike the highjacking of our language.

Two things that really make me grit my teeth, one is the misuse of the word awesome. I want to say, that's not an awesome hamburger you're stupid sob. The Grand Canyon is awesome. If a hamburger is awesome what the hell is the Grand Canyon?
Another unpopular opinion of mine is the mispronunciation of the word comfortable. It's a four syllable word for crying out loud and it's a rather Pleasant sounding word. I didn't put a pillow on your bed for your kumpft. I put it there for your comfort. So why do you say you're kumpfterble? Idiot!

I am sorry and I do apologize, but I do say "comfy" sometimes. When we have guests here in our home, in their bedroom, I ask, "Is everything comfy?"

"Mr. Johnson" used to be the guy who ran the local hardware shop. Now, he's found in the pants of your local "gangstas."

Wife and I use the word "cool", but the rest of the sayings can be offensive to some or many while to others they are very humorous. TV sure seem to say all of them and it can become rather disgusting hearing them. Actually, our idea of a "nice rack" is when looking at an older Bull Elk.

One thing is for sure, most people who attend church, young and old/older don't say these words. I've been to church functions where I've never heard any of them. In fact, our niece and her husband don't allow their 16 daughter to watch any tv as they don't either. There is no tv in the home. They pay to have her go to a Christian school, so she doesn't get around today's offensive language. All of her friends are church-going young folks, like her, with very nice personalities.

Actually, nobody in either of our families say these kinds of words.

Remember Roxie Hart in "Chicago?" She is daydreaming about the future she wants, as a big star:

I'm gonna be a celebrity
That means
Somebody everyone knows
They('re) gonna recognize my eyes
My hair my teeth my boobs my nose...

To get back to the original subject, the highjacking of our language, I don't agree that it's been "highjacked" at all. English is a dynamic thing, almost like something alive. It's always changing. What did it
get "highjacked" from? The English we learned in our youth? But wouldn't somebody used to speaking medieval or Shakespearian English, or the English of Washington and Jefferson, say that we had
highjacked their language? It's always changing, and will always continue to change. There's nothing sacred about mid-20th century English, just because it's what we are used to.

Some of the changes drive us nuts, and it's probably always been that way. One word that keeps popping up in the news is "trope." Nobody ever explains exactly what it means, you're just supposed to
know it. I think I finally have a general idea, but it took a while.

And when men get breast cancer, where do you think it occurs? And where have you ever heard the term boob cancer?
Breast is the correct term.
Nah. Breast is the whole ribcage. I know they call it breast cancer.

But when guys talk about them in a loving manner it's never breast or mammary glands or other descriptions.

Hey did you see the ........ on that chick?

You may not like it but that's the way guys talk.

Nah. Breast is the whole ribcage. I know they call it breast cancer.

But when guys talk about them in a loving manner it's never breast or mammary glands or other descriptions.

Hey did you see the ........ on that chick?

You may not like it but that's the way guys talk.

Except we're talking about the English language, not the way guys talk. I could say something about male anatomy the same way guys talk, too, but I'm a lady. :)

Except we're talking about the English language, not the way guys talk. I could say something about male anatomy the same way guys talk, too, but I'm a lady. :)

Then how would you know the words? We are talking about hijacking the language. So what happens with the English language is that it morphs and common usage becomes the word.

For instance I do crossword puzzles almost every day.

One common word in the puzzles now is arse.

Then how would you know the words? We are talking about hijacking the language. So what happens with the English language is that it morphs and common usage becomes the word.

For instance I do crossword puzzles almost every day.

One common word in the puzzles now is arse instead of buttocks.

Don't kid yourself, I would know them. And as we've seen right here on this thread, language evolves, and everyday really.

And I don't really understand what you're asking being the latest question was about male anatomy. It seems okay to use crude language about female parts, but I would bet I would be kicked off using the same type of language for male parts.

Oh Yeah. I've heard some women calling them "The Girls" Funny.

However, I believe that now, BOTH men & women refer to womens' breasts as boobs and think it's OK.

BTW It's better than calling them "mammary glands". That's gotta be quite a mouthful.

OOPS.. What I said ! My bad.

I hope you've noticed that BOTH women AND men have nipples! How'd that come about?

The default in conception is towards the female gender. Therefore while the baby is forming the male which is not defined yet has nipples.

That's why early ultrasound can't give you the gender.

Don't kid yourself, I would know them. And as we've seen right here on this thread, language evolves, and everyday really.

And I don't really understand what you're asking being the latest question was about male anatomy. It seems okay to use crude language about female parts, but I would bet I would be kicked off using the same type of language for male parts.

Well that's why we don't use crude language for the female parts either.

The Lord's Prayer in Old English
Matthew 6:9-13

Fæder ure þu þe eart on heofonum
Si þin nama gehalgod
to becume þin rice
gewurþe ðin willa
on eorðan swa swa on heofonum.
urne gedæghwamlican hlaf syle us todæg
and forgyf us ure gyltas
swa swa we forgyfað urum gyltendum
and ne gelæd þu us on costnunge
ac alys us of yfele soþlice

http://www.angelfire.com/la2/timeline/OEnglish.html

That reminds me of when we had to read Beowulf in High School English class. I didn't understand a word of it.

Back