If you live alone, do you still do basic cooking

I live alone and cook for myself. I am not a great chef but I know what I like and that is what I cook. It is mostly simple/basic stuff. I have one large pot, one two quart pot, one twelve inch skillet, one mixing bowl, one cereal bowl, one plate and assorted spoons, knives and a spatula. I use these on a regular basis. I have some stuff stored for large meals and company but it is rarely used. I clean as I cook. That keeps the cleanup at the end to a minimum. I am a low maintenance type of person. I cook in the same fashion.

Things that will destroy your health:
  • Vegetable oils of all types, especially hydrogenated oils.
  • High fructose corn syrup.
  • Unspecified sugar, generally made from beets treated with roundup.
  • Monosodium glutamate.
Small amounts of these can be tolerated, but on a daily basis, will greatly increase inflammation, and thus pain. And most all processed foods contain these. You are better off boiling a big pot of vegetables and some organically raised meat and having leftovers. Better yet, go with raw fruits and vegetables as much as possible. As a person with prostate cancer, I have been making my big raw vegetable spinach salads for myself for over 4 years. In the last few years, I have also been making my big salads for my youngest daughter and she lost about 50 pounds and her skin problems disappeared. My daughter has developed her own raw vegetable and fruit plan now. Also started making a salad for my wife. Look up “Chris Beat Cancer Salad“. My salads consist of spinach (a whole bag), kale, onion, peppers, mushrooms, grated cabbage, grape tomatoes, cauliflower, curry, pepper, olive oil, unpasteurized apple cider vinegar, and some balsamic vinegar. Often I add some rice and perhaps some chicken or poached wild caught fish. I make one big salad and split it in half for lunch and dinner.

Will be going back to living alone end of the month. I try to keep it simple and fairly healthy. In the winter I make large batches of different soup/stews, and put portions in the freezer. I can eat the same thing for quite some time without getting bored. Lots of salads, fruit smoothy's of the kitchen sink variety, i.e. yogurt, frozen blue berry's, walnuts, banana, flax seed, protein powder, etc.. Occasionally I will make up a nice meal for a change of pace, maybe 3-4 times a month. I try to think of food as fuel to get things done more than anything else. Probably my biggest weakness's are a good sized egg based breakfast, and really good specialty breads. Try to keep those down to once a week. Mike

Cooking for yourself does not have to be hard. Just look for whatever you feel like eating on YouTube. I love to try new recipes, then tweak them for low carbs. The Instant Pot has made cooking even easier and make enough for a few days of meals. Soup or meat and salad is usually what I fix for supper. (sorry if I already said that on this thread but I don't know how to find my other comment on here)

There's a story that you can't teach an old dog any new tricks. But if this is true then I must be one of the exceptions to this general rule. Here's what I mean: always was a good cook. My breakfasts, soups, roasts, etc were always good (my sandwiches were always fabulous) but my baking was awful. Took me the longest time to learn how to bake cookies and pies. But eventually learned and they come out rather decent nowadays. However, worse of all was the pukey breads that I made. They were always absolutely terrible. Either they came out too hard (like bricks) or too tasteless. Well, after all this time, I finally learned how to bake bread! I've had a Ninja blender for years but somehow never managed to use it right for breads. Now I know what to do and my breads come out decent. Will eventually learn how to make Focaccia and other bread goodies. Yum, yum!

Cooking for yourself does not have to be hard. Just look for whatever you feel like eating on YouTube. I love to try new recipes, then tweak them for low carbs. The Instant Pot has made cooking even easier and make enough for a few days of meals. Soup or meat and salad is usually what I fix for supper. (sorry if I already said that on this thread but I don't know how to find my other comment on here)
I recently bought an Insta-Pot for myself. I have family around, but I am a new vegan because of cholesterol. I use my Insta-Pot for soups that last all week. It is great for beans.

Quick and simple are my priorities. My wife has done an excellent job of feeding me for 62 years, but she has been medically bedridden since last march. I sure miss her.

The freezer and the microwave are my friends, sometimes I turn on the oven for coconut shrimp or perhaps scallops.

Make yourself some cold brew, it keeps over a week in the fridge. Get a french press (12 bucks at Walmart). Add cup of ground coffee and fill with water to the fill line, stir it up until the coffee is completely soaked, cap it up and leave in fridge for 24 hours. Then press and pour into a container and enjoy, store the rest in the fridge. Entirely different brewing process than boiling it, not nearly as harsh.
That is very interesting! I might try that.

I like to watch cooking shows, but when I try to cook I find I don't have the patience for exact measuring and standing over the stove. I was really happy this past holiday season to realize I could make a tiny wad of pie crust and microwave a perfectly acceptable "pumpkin pie" in a bowl just 5 minutes. Much more appropriate size for a single person too.
Another thing I learned this year was that I could cook hamburger in the slow cooker crockpot, which I find so much more pleasant than staring at hamburgers in a skillet wondering if they are done inside yet (I don't have a Foreman grill or anything like that).
Yesterday I was watching a YouTube of how to eat for a week on $10 of groceries, and the person fried the store bought corn tortillas in a little fry pan without apparently any oil, just to crisp them up. I didn't even know that could be done, I thought they had to be deep fried in oil and so I rarely have a taco and only if I bought the ready made prepared kit.
Now I'm excited at the idea of frying a tortilla. I have been trapped in the house by Covid for a little too long I think!

I have been trapped in the house by Covid for a little too long I think!

Yes! We all know that feeling! :D:LOL::ROFLMAO::giggle:
It sounds just a little bit like you have. :ROFLMAO::D:love:

Very understandable to me!:oops::rolleyes: I sure have!
Please could I have something delicious and different from what I have had every day, for over a year? ;)
Please could it be as easy to prepare as they make it look like it should? :D:LOL:

Back