J.C. Penny..

My mom bought my school clothes at Robert Hall. Robert who?
Did not remember Robert Hall until you mentioned it.
What was the name of the store that sold only shoes; their brand was Buster Brown, I think.

When Monkey Ward closed some years ago, the city took over the building for office space.

I would not be surprised to see vacant malls become "fulfillment centers".

Or as my dad called them "Monkey Wards"...
Sorry, that evokes a little story;

Gramma raised me.

Ever so often, we'd head to 'Monkey' Wards in the old ‘51 Chevy.
It was her outing.
Most times we'd be picking up something like a post hole digger, or a part for a pressure cooker that she'd ordered, nothin' fancy.

After pulling a number, we’d sit in the big room downstairs of the huge multi-storied Wards store, waiting for them to pull our order.

I remember one time she fished my hand out of a spittoon of which I’d found interest in its contents.

I don’t remember ever going in with them after that.

I do remember having to stay in the car while they shopped
Big big parking lot
Ol' black Chevy
"Keep those windas up"
Hot.....very hot

Soon's they were outa sight, I jumped into the front seat,
rolled the window down,
hung one arm out the window, and the other draped on the steering wheel.
Waitin' for the ol' lady

Come to think about it, I still do that

Last edited:
I do think that stores like Penny's, Macy's and big department stores are closing....Because of the Internet....You can buy anything on line
and get your stuff most of the time in 2 days....My husband won't go to the store,
he get's everything on line... .And some times
cheaper on line....
Not me, I like to shop in a store .. ..I don't like that some are folding up....I love TJ Max in our town...I hope that doesn't go away....

Sears was my favorite when my girls were growing up, they loved waiting for their Christmas catalog. I think Sears made a huge mistake closing there catalog dept. I Loved JCP too there household items were great. I hate to see both of them go! I remember buying a refrigerator n Bill buying tires for his truck at Sears, it was like Amazon before it’s time!

Anybody remember Montgomery Ward? They were once a big competitor of Sears.

Don
I used to really like Montgomery Wards, was sad to see them shut down. Sears by me just shut down, but rarely shopped there, just when I needed a new lawnmower, appliances or maybe some tools. Penneys is still open by me, but don't shop there much either. Mervyns was a store I used to like to shop at, but they shut down too long time ago.

Back