Just Got A Shocker From My Doctor Today!

Jules

In all the mammograms that I’ve had since my mid 20s, and that’s often more than one per year, none has ever hurt.

Men don’t get the squish but they do get the annual ’finger’ and there aren’t many who have said that they look forward to that.

Elsie

I always feared that the extreme squishing required to do the mammogram would actually create a lump that might eventually morph into cancer. It's probably illogical reasoning (after all, I barely passed chemistry) but I'm the ''Going by my guts'' type and refused to have more than the two I agreed to have done.
I found a grape sized lump at top of my left breast. That breast was so deeply pressed by a mammogram I was afraid it had "squished" the lump & spread any cancer in it. Doc said it (cancer) doesn't work that way & I relaxed. But I ended up with a bruise on my chest all around the breast. Lumpectomy. Cancer has not returned.

Aneeda72

Got the wife over to medical center to get her mammogram today and they couldn't do it. They have to wait 4 weeks after she’s had her COVID shot. A damn phone call would have been nice to save us a trip. Stupid...:mad:
This information has been posted on the forum, you must have missed it.

Aneeda72

I found a grape sized lump at top of my left breast. That breast was so deeply pressed by a mammogram I was afraid it had "squished" the lump & spread any cancer in it. Doc said it (cancer) doesn't work that way & I relaxed. But I ended up with a bruise on my chest all around the breast. Lumpectomy. Cancer has not returned.
Had it been a cyst, it would have squished it.

In all the mammograms that I’ve had since my mid 20s, and that’s often more than one per year, none has ever hurt.

Men don’t get the squish but they do get the annual ’finger’ and there aren’t many who have said that they look forward to that.
I've only had a couple that have hurt, but most are damned uncomfortable.
Good point on the "finger" - I'll take a mammogram over that test.

Aneeda72

I missed it, too. Had no idea that a mammogram had to be delayed 4 weeks after a Covid vaccine. Agree with you, @Pappy, they should have tipped you off on that little tidbit.
Well, I asked when I got the shot because I had my other one and the biopsy in the works sorry others missed it, it was discussed. I agree, they should tell people at the time of the first shot

Kathleen’s Place

The only one on your list that hurts is the mammogram.
None of them really hurt. It’s just that I know myself very well. IF the tests showed something awful, I wouldn’t do anything about it anyway. And I don’t mean for that to sound depressing or smug. I have lived an absolutely blessed life. We brought 3 wonderful sons, good men, into this world, and they, in turn, brought 7 wonderful grandchildren that the world is lucky to have. My life is complete and I’m so thankful for all I have been given. So from now on it is up to God and God alone. And I am at peace with that.

Aneeda72

None of them really hurt. It’s just that I know myself very well. IF the tests showed something awful, I wouldn’t do anything about it anyway. And I don’t mean for that to sound depressing or smug. I have lived an absolutely blessed life. We brought 3 wonderful sons, good men, into this world, and they, in turn, brought 7 wonderful grandchildren that the world is lucky to have. My life is complete and I’m so thankful for all I have been given. So from now on it is up to God and God alone. And I am at peace with that.
Here is the thing. Breast cancer spreads to become cancer in other places. My friend’s breast cancer has spread to her bones, she now has bone cancer but it’s actually breast cancer. They thought it had spread to her brain. It had not. So she would have had breast cancer, in her brain. It can spread to your lungs.

So you are forced to do something about it, IMO, cause for those children you love to watch the progression of this disease eat you alive would be horrific for them. As it is for the children of my “friend“ whose son and girlfriend have moved home to care for her. As she fights a losing battle.

Her breast cancer came back after both breast were removed. God gives us the tools to deal with this illness with the doctors and methods available. When I realized this (along with support of the people on the forum because I am very reluctant to do anything as well) I agreed to the next mammogram, and now the next one and biopsy in April. Because they do hurt me.

mrstime

Obviously you either have never had a mammogram or they didn't do it right!

So you are forced to do something about it, IMO, cause for those children you love to watch the progression of this disease eat you alive would be horrific for them. As it is for the children of my “friend“ whose son and girlfriend have moved home to care for her. As she fights a losing battle.
@Aneeda72, you are so right about this. The people I've known who've died from cancer didn't drop dead or have an easy exit. Not by a long shot.

Even the few who refused treatment suffered through the long, excruciating, ugly processes of organ shutdowns and wasting away.

Ladybj

It’s a shocker to me because I didn’t realize you were female but I understand your concern.
Ive only had one mammogram and won’t have any more but don’t wish to explain why and our mammograms are covered by our government.
I sure would like to know why. Are you able to send me a pm? I stopped getting them as well.

Jim W.

You'd think in this day and age, there would be a better way to check for breast cancer than putting women through the agonizing "squish". Men don't have to submit to this torture to check for cancer in their "nether regions". All they have to do is get an ultrasound. Can you imagine if men had to get certain parts of their body "squished" for a test? It would never happen. It seems like women's issues of any kind are addressed only after years of complaining and protesting. Eventually someone finally looks up and says, "maybe we should do something about this".
When checking for prostate cancer men often have to undergo a "needle biopsy" which involves the insertion into the rectum, of a device with an attached needle capable of removing tissue samples.

Similar to a colonoscopy, but instead of a camera going up into the intestine, the needle equipped device stays in the rectal area.

What Is a Prostate Biopsy? What to expect when undergoing this test

caroln

When checking for prostate cancer men often have to undergo a "needle biopsy" which involves the insertion into the rectum, of a device with an attached needle capable of removing tissue samples.

Similar to a colonoscopy, but instead of a camera going up into the intestine, the needle equipped device stays in the rectal area.

What Is a Prostate Biopsy? What to expect when undergoing this test
Egads! I stand corrected. 😧