Just Got A Shocker From My Doctor Today!

In all the mammograms that I’ve had since my mid 20s, and that’s often more than one per year, none has ever hurt.

Men don’t get the squish but they do get the annual ’finger’ and there aren’t many who have said that they look forward to that.

I always feared that the extreme squishing required to do the mammogram would actually create a lump that might eventually morph into cancer. It's probably illogical reasoning (after all, I barely passed chemistry) but I'm the ''Going by my guts'' type and refused to have more than the two I agreed to have done.
I found a grape sized lump at top of my left breast. That breast was so deeply pressed by a mammogram I was afraid it had "squished" the lump & spread any cancer in it. Doc said it (cancer) doesn't work that way & I relaxed. But I ended up with a bruise on my chest all around the breast. Lumpectomy. Cancer has not returned.

Got the wife over to medical center to get her mammogram today and they couldn't do it. They have to wait 4 weeks after she’s had her COVID shot. A damn phone call would have been nice to save us a trip. Stupid...:mad:
This information has been posted on the forum, you must have missed it.

I found a grape sized lump at top of my left breast. That breast was so deeply pressed by a mammogram I was afraid it had "squished" the lump & spread any cancer in it. Doc said it (cancer) doesn't work that way & I relaxed. But I ended up with a bruise on my chest all around the breast. Lumpectomy. Cancer has not returned.
Had it been a cyst, it would have squished it.

In all the mammograms that I’ve had since my mid 20s, and that’s often more than one per year, none has ever hurt.

Men don’t get the squish but they do get the annual ’finger’ and there aren’t many who have said that they look forward to that.
I've only had a couple that have hurt, but most are damned uncomfortable.
Good point on the "finger" - I'll take a mammogram over that test.

I missed it, too. Had no idea that a mammogram had to be delayed 4 weeks after a Covid vaccine. Agree with you, @Pappy, they should have tipped you off on that little tidbit.
Well, I asked when I got the shot because I had my other one and the biopsy in the works sorry others missed it, it was discussed. I agree, they should tell people at the time of the first shot

The only one on your list that hurts is the mammogram.
None of them really hurt. It’s just that I know myself very well. IF the tests showed something awful, I wouldn’t do anything about it anyway. And I don’t mean for that to sound depressing or smug. I have lived an absolutely blessed life. We brought 3 wonderful sons, good men, into this world, and they, in turn, brought 7 wonderful grandchildren that the world is lucky to have. My life is complete and I’m so thankful for all I have been given. So from now on it is up to God and God alone. And I am at peace with that.

None of them really hurt. It’s just that I know myself very well. IF the tests showed something awful, I wouldn’t do anything about it anyway. And I don’t mean for that to sound depressing or smug. I have lived an absolutely blessed life. We brought 3 wonderful sons, good men, into this world, and they, in turn, brought 7 wonderful grandchildren that the world is lucky to have. My life is complete and I’m so thankful for all I have been given. So from now on it is up to God and God alone. And I am at peace with that.
Here is the thing. Breast cancer spreads to become cancer in other places. My friend’s breast cancer has spread to her bones, she now has bone cancer but it’s actually breast cancer. They thought it had spread to her brain. It had not. So she would have had breast cancer, in her brain. It can spread to your lungs.

So you are forced to do something about it, IMO, cause for those children you love to watch the progression of this disease eat you alive would be horrific for them. As it is for the children of my “friend“ whose son and girlfriend have moved home to care for her. As she fights a losing battle.

Her breast cancer came back after both breast were removed. God gives us the tools to deal with this illness with the doctors and methods available. When I realized this (along with support of the people on the forum because I am very reluctant to do anything as well) I agreed to the next mammogram, and now the next one and biopsy in April. Because they do hurt me.

Obviously you either have never had a mammogram or they didn't do it right!

So you are forced to do something about it, IMO, cause for those children you love to watch the progression of this disease eat you alive would be horrific for them. As it is for the children of my “friend“ whose son and girlfriend have moved home to care for her. As she fights a losing battle.
@Aneeda72, you are so right about this. The people I've known who've died from cancer didn't drop dead or have an easy exit. Not by a long shot.

Even the few who refused treatment suffered through the long, excruciating, ugly processes of organ shutdowns and wasting away.

It’s a shocker to me because I didn’t realize you were female but I understand your concern.
Ive only had one mammogram and won’t have any more but don’t wish to explain why and our mammograms are covered by our government.
I sure would like to know why. Are you able to send me a pm? I stopped getting them as well.

You'd think in this day and age, there would be a better way to check for breast cancer than putting women through the agonizing "squish". Men don't have to submit to this torture to check for cancer in their "nether regions". All they have to do is get an ultrasound. Can you imagine if men had to get certain parts of their body "squished" for a test? It would never happen. It seems like women's issues of any kind are addressed only after years of complaining and protesting. Eventually someone finally looks up and says, "maybe we should do something about this".
When checking for prostate cancer men often have to undergo a "needle biopsy" which involves the insertion into the rectum, of a device with an attached needle capable of removing tissue samples.

Similar to a colonoscopy, but instead of a camera going up into the intestine, the needle equipped device stays in the rectal area.

What Is a Prostate Biopsy? What to expect when undergoing this test

I went for a cataract surgery a couple of years ago. During the intake process the nurse asked me if I had a DNR. I said, "For a cataract surgery? Are you kidding? If I code on the table you'd better break out the paddles and anything else you can find in that operating room."

The anesthesiologist came into the OR just before the surgery and reviewed the notes with me. She said, "No DNR?" I told her that was correct. She went, "Whew!" and said, "Boy does that make my job easier!" Not the response I'd expected.

I went in for that procedure as a completely healthy woman in my 60s. No way was I giving them permission to turn their heads if things went sideways. My husband has POA and was in the waiting room no more than 50 yards from the OR. If a disaster occurred, decisions were to be his call, not theirs.

Does anyone else sometimes feel like we're being given the bum's rush to exit the planet with all the pressure to provide DNRs? (The medical box checkers ask me about it every time I go to an appointment.) My family knows what I want and have been given the power to make those decisions. No need for a disinterested surgeon, anesthesiologist, or other medical person to choose for me.

Thanks but no thanks.
I was taken by ambulance to the hospital in 2020
I could not see out of the only eye i can see out of. I could see around the perimeter of the dark circle that had covered my eye. Which means while I was reading in bed on my left side when it happened, no pain what so ever.
I was frightened and devided to knock on the neighbors doors trying to avoid apts. Of people i did not know. That of course failed.
A unknown man answered through the unopened door. I could not see
I asked him to call me an ambulznce for i could not ser to use my phone.
He did ss i went back to my spt. And tried to get a jacket on....point is he did not call 911 he was from another country and probably did not know.
Here in the ER, I was there for 4 hours left in the dark of my outcome
At home i received s noll for the ambulance for over the top cost. I was so stressed for i had stopped taking my high blood pressure pill years ago.
This time a doctor i do not know gave me two pills to take both a 8am and pm.
He said to go to the doctor who showed up while I wasin the ER.
The bill for ambulance ran into seversl thousznd dollzrs.
I never called Medicare

Because of the family history I had to have a colonoscopy every 5 years until I got to 75, the doc also stopped bugging me about mammograms then. I guess once I hit 75 it didn't matter if I got any of those dreaded diseases. I'm 81 now and fairly healthy. Not that it matters now we haven't clapped eyes on our doctor in over a year, I guess she is afraid she will get Covid. So when I actually needed someone to see me I saw the Nurse Practitioner, I guess she is expendable. Then the Dr needs to be a bit concerned because we like the Nurse Practitioner better than the Dr.

I was told today I must bring my living will and power of attorney documents in for my next check up visit. I asked why and she said, "blame Obama." I said "since when?" She replied, "Since he got it passed?" I told her I have never had the required since he got elected eleven years ago. She said they are tightening the belt. She added mammograms are now mandatory for women annually if they want medical care. Has anyone had any similar notices with their personal physicians?
Im sorry. But maybe this sounds more like some hot air to get more money to care for you.

When checking for prostate cancer men often have to undergo a "needle biopsy" which involves the insertion into the rectum, of a device with an attached needle capable of removing tissue samples.

Similar to a colonoscopy, but instead of a camera going up into the intestine, the needle equipped device stays in the rectal area.

What Is a Prostate Biopsy? What to expect when undergoing this test
Not to mention the finger up the bum to check the prostate, rolling your testicles in their hands to check for testicular cancer and squeezing the head of your ***** to check for...I don't really know what. But men certainly go through their embarrassments in the quest for health ,also. Medicine isn't pretty.

Back