My new dog

Worked on wait with Bella yesterday. She is getting the concept, but refuses to wait when food is involved, 😂. It’s a work in progress.

Son‘s girlfriend made fried rice for us, but only husband can eat it. Rice kills my blood sugar. Son brought the rice over last night for dinner. Where’s the dog? Outside. It’s too cold for her outside, he says, you should bring her in.

🤦🏻‍♀️ She’s fine. She is double coated. It’s windy, he says. That wind is cold, he says. You should bring her in. She’s a herding dog, I say, she herds animals as a job, outside in all weather. Besides she has a dog house if she is cold. Still, he says, it’s too cold outside for her. I am cold outside, he says.

OMG. You Are Not Wearing a Double Fur Coat, I say to the man who has never owned a dog. Bella is fine. It’s 38 outside. She good.

Everyones a critic 😂😂😂.

Not having a good month at all.

Yesterday, Told husband to tAneedaake the bitter apple spray and put it on the seat belt harness of Bella’s car seat since she is chewing it. Husband always HATES doing anything but he complied. Unknown to me, he dropped the clear cap of the spray on the rug. He says it was an accident. Sure, it was.

Anyway, he left it there cause he never picks anything up that he drops. His maid, me, picks up after him. But I had already checked the floor this morning and let Bella out to play. Now Bella can not find a dropped treat on the floor, but she found that small clear cap right away.

As she zoomed past me, I saw she had something small in her mouth, 😲. I keep a drag leash on her. Bella, drop it. Nope, I’m up, I’m frantic, and she knows she has something I want, and she wants to play chase the puppy.

I get close to her, step on the drag leash, and say drop it. Nope. 🤬. I only have one glove on. I still don’t know what she has, but I know if she swallows it, she will choke to death. I can tell by how open her mouth is on it, that it’s small enough to swallow. I am lucky in that she chews her food instead of gulping stuff down.

So one foot firmly on her leash, the gloved hand holding her head, knowing I am going to yet again get bit, I am able to open her mouth with my ungloved hand, yelling drop it, and shaking her head. She drops what turns out to be the cap to the bitter apple spray and I grab it; without getting bit. 🤦🏻‍♀️ Thank heaven.

OMG, I so want to kill my husband, or you know, shove a cap down his throat. Breathe, just breathe. She is fine, I am fine, he is still alive. But his ears are burning. 😡
Aneeda.... i would have been as frantic as you were.....scary....

@MickaC Thanks, I was frantic. She’s tiny with a tiny throat and even if it passed her throat it would have got stuck elsewhere. If it had been a lab or other big dog they could have passed it as it wasn’t sharp or anything. She would have had surgery.

Quiet day today. Bella and I just chilled. Mostly she played in her pen outside which she now prefers and when I let her out, she zooms several times around the yard, and then I crate her for a nap, rinse, repeat.

Until she gains some maternity we just practice what she knows already. Concentrating on sit, wait, not biting, here, drop it, fetch, and our ER come command.

I had Bella in the front yard yesterday when my neighbors, who live at the end of the block, walked by with two dogs. Hmm, they only have one terrier mix. The wife stops and explains that they felt their dog was lonely and would be happier with a friend. They both work.

🤣🤣🤣. So I say to them, oh, you got a dog for your dog. Yes, yes we did, they reply. Since the husband told me he never ever wanted even one dog, I find this really funny. Now he has two.

This is why I keep saying I WILL NOT get another dog. This is how it happens. You get the first dog. The first dog has a lot of energy which you can not satisfy and is lonely and bored. So, you get the second dog. I have done this several times over the past 60 plus years. It’s a dog trap. Now you have two bored dogs. 😳

Then, if the two dogs don’t get a long, you get a third dog (I have never done that) that hopefully gets along with both the other dogs. OMG it’s endless. My daughter has 6 maybe 7 dogs at this point in time.

I have one crazy little puppy and thats all. I will not get another dog. I must write that somewhere on a blackboard a hundred times. I will not get another dog. My poor neighbors now have two terrier mixes who bark in their back yard all day long. They are both untrained, unfriendly, and, I am sure they will bite since they are terriers. 😂

Next to them lives two small black dogs, across the street a miniature poodle mix who was loose the other day. He came up to my walker, put his paws on the front brace, and walked backwards, on his hind legs, with me for a while. 😍😂. Next to him a Newfoundland, and I can hear other dogs inside barking which I have not seen at another house.

I live in a dog neighbor, so no ones minds the barking cause most all of us have one to two dogs. There is also a feral cat in the yard behind me as they do not have a dog. When winter is over we will get a trap from animal control and catch that cat who poops in my yard. It is not fixed. It needs to be fixed and get a rabies shot.

In the yard next to me, he has two Heelers, now three as he is watching one. But in the yard behind him a guy lives in a tent in that backyard and swears all summer long. Don’t hear him during the winter. In the front yard there are two chihuahuas and a 13 year old corgI.

On the other side of me, the golden retriever mix lives there, and a chihuahua, a pit bull mix, and a German Shepard often visit. The German shepherd is vicious, and is now left at his home. Behind them, chickens and two small dogs. 😂. The feral cat tries to catch itself a chicken, often. I see all the dogs more than the people.

Life in my neighbor bubble. 🤣

I can now put Bella filled dog dish down without being mouthed or worry about being bitten. But I still don’t trust her as far as putting a leash on. She still occasionally bites at my hands, feet, a d will jump up a d catch the side of my pants. Always bites at my slippers, so I still have to watch her closely. But lots better than she was.

I can now put Bella filled dog dish down without being mouthed or worry about being bitten. But I still don’t trust her as far as putting a leash on. She still occasionally bites at my hands, feet, a d will jump up a d catch the side of my pants. Always bites at my slippers, so I still have to watch her closely. But lots better than she was.
She must be teething .. ? Ah yes, I remember it well.

How is the healing of your hands progressing?
Thanks for asking.

The infected one totally healed, the non infected one healed but still quite red, in fact, it’s color has never changed; although the wound itself is healed. I just sent a picture to my doctor and asked should I continue to put medicine on it or stop and see what happens.

You can really tell that her tooth simply got caught and dragged across my skin. its on the same hand where I still have a scar, from when I was 10, on a finger where the same thing happened with my first dog 😂. I must have had a better immune system then.

@MickaC Bella certainly backtalks and is not happy with the wait command when her bowl of food is in my hand. At the door, sit, wait, open door, and she tries to rush through it, at least four times. After three times, Bella starts cussing me out, dog bark style.

Bark, bark, bark, but finally she will sit, wait, and then when I say OK, out the door in a shot. But, untrusting soul that she is, she waits until I’ve sat the food bowl down in the puppy pen before she goes inside. 😂

We took apart the dog run and have used it as fencing. As soon as it is warm enough we will take it down, reassemble it, and turn it back into a dog run for Bella. It’s 10x10x5 so it will be plenty big for her. We will put a wooden fence up in its place so we don’t have to look at neighbors crappy yard.

Oh boy, sounds like all you people should remain locked in your houses then.

We have cougars and bears that come right up to our front door, yet not one neighbour has ever lost an animal to either.

I gather birds of prey and other predators are more aggressive in your part of the country than in ours.
One of my cats was killed by a black bear in my yard. But owls was my main concern where I lived. The coyotes did not come near to my house due to my three horses. It all depends on your area and knowing the wild life concerns. My cats had to be in before dark.

It was so funny it was hard not to laugh. The trainee had a shocked face, made a ouch sound, checked her hand for blood, and start shaking it. Hopefully she remembers next week that Bella bites hard when she is excited.

Finally, the trainer actually told her a few times to not act the way she was as she was doing other stupid things. Once I asked her what are you doing? She replied trying to get her to sit longer. Well, don’t, I said, she not mature enough mentally to sit longer. Dogs, like children, mature at different rates.

Serious training starts between 4 and 6 months. I can’t believe how unknowledgeable some people are.
Sounds like you know more than the trainers do! Funny how professionals are supposed to be the experts and don't do as a good job as the owners do. Maybe an owner knows the pet better and how to train it best.

@MickaC Bella certainly backtalks and is not happy with the wait command when her bowl of food is in my hand. At the door, sit, wait, open door, and she tries to rush through it, at least four times. After three times, Bella starts cussing me out, dog bark style.

Bark, bark, bark, but finally she will sit, wait, and then when I say OK, out the door in a shot. But, untrusting soul that she is, she waits until I’ve sat the food bowl down in the puppy pen before she goes inside. 😂

We took apart the dog run and have used it as fencing. As soon as it is warm enough we will take it down, reassemble it, and turn it back into a dog run for Bella. It’s 10x10x5 so it will be plenty big for her. We will put a wooden fence up in its place so we don’t have to look at neighbors crappy yard.
Speaking of backtalk......Micki's the QUEEN....lol....lol...
I think it's built in to her.......after scolding.....or.....firm talking too.....
She does listen......
But as soon as i turn my back......everytime.....she voices her reply......i turn to her and she's got her big happy face on......MAN !!!!!
She knows how to work it.......lol.lol.
Last word is always hers.

I can now leash Bella up when taking her out of her crate with no mouthing. I am still a bit afraid to drop using a glove, but I have. No problems yet. She walks to the front door, on a leash, to go potty without barking or trying to buy at my legs, so that’s a huge improvement. She grabs at her leash less.

Taking her to the back door is simple as she follows along with no problem, sits and waits at the door, and when told OK goes out. Sometimes she barks, if I am not moving fast enough for her, or if she thinks she has waited too long. 😂

Next Saturday is our last training class. I was going to do a month of private training with my trainer friend who works at Petsmart, but she told me Saturday she is not sure she can do it. She had breast cancer and thought it was cured. She had a double mastectomy. Then she learned the cancer came back, and was in her bones.

She just finished treatment again, returned to work for only a month, and went and had a pet scan when she noticed a swelling on her collar bone. The cancer came back. Had radiation and chemo, thought she was cured, again. But has been sick and losing weight. Had another pet scan.

The cancer has spread to her brain. 😳😩. She has fought hard for her life. She is in her 50’s. Her name is Brenda, prayers for her would be nice. Thanks.

I can now leash Bella up when taking her out of her crate with no mouthing. I am still a bit afraid to drop using a glove, but I have. No problems yet. She walks to the front door, on a leash, to go potty without barking or trying to buy at my legs, so that’s a huge improvement. She grabs at her leash less.

Taking her to the back door is simple as she follows along with no problem, sits and waits at the door, and when told OK goes out. Sometimes she barks, if I am not moving fast enough for her, or if she thinks she has waited too long. 😂

Next Saturday is our last training class. I was going to do a month of private training with my trainer friend who works at Petsmart, but she told me Saturday she is not sure she can do it. She had breast cancer and thought it was cured. She had a double mastectomy. Then she learned the cancer came back, and was in her bones.

She just finished treatment again, returned to work for only a month, and went and had a pet scan when she noticed a swelling on her collar bone. The cancer came back. Had radiation and chemo, thought she was cured, again. But has been sick and losing weight. Had another pet scan.

The cancer has spread to her brain. 😳😩. She has fought hard for her life. She is in her 50’s. Her name is Brenda, prayers for her would be nice. Thanks.
Prayers for Brenda, in my own way 🙏 ☮️

Bella is doing much better mouthing/biting so I am very pleased. She has also stopped lunging at my blanket to chew it, pretty much leaves my shoes alone, and bites less at me when we walk in the backyard.

She still fetches. While not pleased to be leashed up, she continues not to bite at my hands and while reluctant to go into her crate she doesn’t try to bite when I put her in it. I think she is starting to realize I am in charge. 😂. She is doing better at wait command as well. She still picks up everything she can find in the yard to chew. Have to work more on drop it.

I wonder if I should get her a ham bone to chew on from the pet store or actual beef bones from the grocery. I am worried that she might break her teeth though. She goes through so called long lasting chews way too fast. I don’t give her rawhide, but am considering it.

In two more weeks she will be four months old, get her rabies shot, and then off to board and train for two weeks. Time flies.

Has she lost her baby teeth,, yet?
Have read that pork/ham aren't good for dogs.

I bought a rawhide toy at Tractor Supply, for our dog before she passed.

She didn't like the stiffness of it.
At the time I didn't realize she had a loose tooth.

Noticed her at her water dish twisting her mouth around.
Sat down with her & ran my thumb in her mouth,, what the??
She was trying spit my thumb out.
Second time I knocked her rear molar into my hand.

My daughter's vet told her not to give her Corgi any bones at all. Something to do with small teeth, I think.

Years ago, we were told not to give our big labs any kinds of bones either. One time, part of a bone came right through Moe anus, and he was yelping trying to do his business. I had a tissue with me, and pulled it out. Lucky it didn't pierce his intestine!

I guess all vets aren't on the same page, re: bones.

Has she lost her baby teeth,, yet?
Have read that pork/ham aren't good for dogs.

I bought a rawhide toy at Tractor Supply, for our dog before she passed.

She didn't like the stiffness of it.
At the time I didn't realize she had a loose tooth.

Noticed her at her water dish twisting her mouth around.
Sat down with her & ran my thumb in her mouth,, what the??
She was trying spit my thumb out.
Second time I knocked her rear molar into my hand.
She still has those very sharp baby teeth, she should start losing them in a couple more weeks.

My daughter's vet told her not to give her Corgi any bones at all. Something to do with small teeth, I think.

Years ago, we were told not to give our big labs any kinds of bones either. One time, part of a bone came right through Moe anus, and he was yelping trying to do his business. I had a tissue with me, and pulled it out. Lucky it didn't pierce his intestine!

I guess all vets aren't on the same page, re: bones.
I think you are probably right about no bones, just wishful thinking on my part. I gave my labs and poodles deer antlers. I've never seen one splinter, but you can not give them to baby teeth, the teeth would break.

I think you are probably right about no bones, just wishful thinking on my part. I gave my labs and poodles deer antlers. I've never seen one splinter, but you can not give them to baby teeth, the teeth would break.
My dog has a lot of bones. Never an issue. I keep them all in an antique Brass tinder bucket. He just goes and picks the one he wants at the time. Always beef bones. NEVER give a dog a ham bone or any other type bone. Keeps his teeth real healthy.
I go to an old fashioned butcher. you know the kind. Sides of beef hanging in the cooler. I ask for leg bones or rib bones.
Not the rib bones you get at the grocery store as they are too small. The bones I get 12"-24" long. He has to drag the femur across the floor. It's very funny.

Last edited:
Bella is doing much better mouthing/biting so I am very pleased. She has also stopped lunging at my blanket to chew it, pretty much leaves my shoes alone, and bites less at me when we walk in the backyard.

She still fetches. While not pleased to be leashed up, she continues not to bite at my hands and while reluctant to go into her crate she doesn’t try to bite when I put her in it. I think she is starting to realize I am in charge. 😂. She is doing better at wait command as well. She still picks up everything she can find in the yard to chew. Have to work more on drop it.

I wonder if I should get her a ham bone to chew on from the pet store or actual beef bones from the grocery. I am worried that she might break her teeth though. She goes through so called long lasting chews way too fast. I don’t give her rawhide, but am considering it.

In two more weeks she will be four months old, get her rabies shot, and then off to board and train for two weeks. Time flies.

Sorry, i'm one that will never or have never given any of my guys real bones no matter what kind.......Bella could be doing a lot of teething.....have always used different kinds of rawhide chews.....some good ones you can get at the vet......i now get bully sticks.....but do be careful with puppies as to what kind of chews.....always supervised while they have them.
This is my opinion only......not telling you what to do.....every fur kid is different.

Back