Notes from Pappy's diary


Living the Dream
Original Poster
Haven’t posted awhile on my diary so I wanted to post a picture of my Dad doing what he loved He would get so excited when I visited him in Utica, NY to go fishing up in the Adirondacks. Dad was 100 when this was taken. He passed recently at 102.



Living the Dream
Original Poster
We have been back in New York for 10 days now, and 8 of those days it has rained, with temperatures running very low for this time of year. Yesterday, it got up to 80 degrees and the camp grounds started to dry out a bit. Then, about 4 pm, all hell broke loose. Tornados warnings were blaring on our iPhones and iPads. Then it poured cats and dogs...I know this because I went outside and stepped in a poodle...:confused:.....back on subject, then came the high winds and we got out of our camper and went up to our clubhouse until it calmed down again. It was over in 1/2 hour so we went back to our trailer. No damage, but park is full of water again. A few photos I took on my walk this morning.



Weather' has been crazy in the northeast Pappy, CT too. Chilly and rainy.

Yesterday during your big storm, we got cloudy and suddenly, quite windy. Not bad, but almost enough to make me check the weather. It rained overnight. Again.

We're warming up now, high predicted to be 83!


Living the Dream
Original Poster
Tuesday, December 25th, 1956 at 1:00 PM. My teenage bride and I are walking down the aisle at St. James Church in Norwich, NY. Rev Charters is our minister and the church is decorated with beautiful flowers from the Christmas service.

I Was home on a short leave, from the Army, and my girlfriend and I wanted to get married so that she could join me in Aberdeen, MD. Rev. Charters suggested that we marry Christmas. We thought it was a great idea as I only had two days left before reporting back to Fort Dix.

Needless to say, neither one of us had much money and had to take advantage of other people's kindness. The relatives gave us a reception at the Preston Grange Hall and most everyone stopped by to wish us well. Of course, there were a few folks counting the months to see if we had to get married and a few that said that we were to young and it wouldn't last. Sorry folks, on both counts.

As I write this, at 6:50 AM, I watching my bride on her I Pad and thinking 58 years ago we were just kids but as time went by, we grew into adults together. I won't lie and say it's been a smooth ride because there were a few rough years, but you know what ? I would do it all over again in a flash. Pappy

Update: 05/20/2019....the 58 years has now turned to 62 years. Still feel the same. Pappy​


Living the Dream
Original Poster
Where are all the men going?

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]I was just a little shaver when WW2 was at its peak. I recall asking my Mom, where are Dad, Uncle Len and Uncle Don going? As it was, they were either off to war or doing their part in the war effort.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]My Dad had gone into the Marines and would end up going to that wonderful tropical island called Iwo Jima. After enduring that horrible experience, he came back and things did not work out for Mom and Dad. It changes a person like most of us will never know. Anyway, Dad is still with us at the age of 92 and his mind is sharp as a tack.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]My Uncle Don had tried to join the service, but a heart murmur kept him out. He went to Niagara Falls to work in a chemical plant. He later found out, after the war, that this factory was part of a project called "The Manhatten Project." For those who don't know what this was, it was related to the Atom bomb.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]A few of the things I remember about the war was scrape metal drives in Norwich. Everyone would collect as much metal objects as they could and you would take it to a collection point, usually at one of the parks.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]At times Norwich would have air raid drills. All lights were put out, or we could cover our windows with blankets. I can remember the candles coming out until the sirens sounded. There was a tall airplane lookout tower at the top of West Hill. These contained charts of different type of airplanes so that one could identify what type of plane flew over. This was torn down after the war.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]I remember shopping at A and P with my Mom and Grandmother. They had a ration book which allowed them to buy certain items that were on ration. I believe sugar, coffee and more were just some of the items that were in short supply.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]I can remember my Grandfather sitting by the radio listening to FDR and later Truman giving their updates about the war, and finally D-Day.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]I have a friend in Florida who was a Navigater on a B-29 which flew out of the Timian Islands. He made many bombing runs and lived to tell about it. This is where the Atomic bomb flew out of too.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]It was a tough time for a little boy to understand what was going on, but I thank God for our unsung heros that gave up so much so that I can enjoy the life I have now.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]