Notes from Pappy's diary

We have been back in New York for 10 days now, and 8 of those days it has rained, with temperatures running very low for this time of year. Yesterday, it got up to 80 degrees and the camp grounds started to dry out a bit. Then, about 4 pm, all hell broke loose. Tornados warnings were blaring on our iPhones and iPads. Then it poured cats and dogs...I know this because I went outside and stepped in a poodle...:confused:.....back on subject, then came the high winds and we got out of our camper and went up to our clubhouse until it calmed down again. It was over in 1/2 hour so we went back to our trailer. No damage, but park is full of water again. A few photos I took on my walk this morning.

A3A9DAFC-1936-4ECA-A395-7F9CF52D1EA8.jpeg
AA9733C9-A11A-4DFC-827D-626F42888D76.jpeg
280478D3-322D-447C-93CF-0D0370235B6A.jpeg
6F581A87-6C6C-466E-8436-28C5D609AE03.jpeg

Weather' has been crazy in the northeast Pappy, CT too. Chilly and rainy.

Yesterday during your big storm, we got cloudy and suddenly, quite windy. Not bad, but almost enough to make me check the weather. It rained overnight. Again.

We're warming up now, high predicted to be 83!

Tuesday, December 25th, 1956 at 1:00 PM. My teenage bride and I are walking down the aisle at St. James Church in Norwich, NY. Rev Charters is our minister and the church is decorated with beautiful flowers from the Christmas service.

I Was home on a short leave, from the Army, and my girlfriend and I wanted to get married so that she could join me in Aberdeen, MD. Rev. Charters suggested that we marry Christmas. We thought it was a great idea as I only had two days left before reporting back to Fort Dix.

Needless to say, neither one of us had much money and had to take advantage of other people's kindness. The relatives gave us a reception at the Preston Grange Hall and most everyone stopped by to wish us well. Of course, there were a few folks counting the months to see if we had to get married and a few that said that we were to young and it wouldn't last. Sorry folks, on both counts.

As I write this, at 6:50 AM, I watching my bride on her I Pad and thinking 58 years ago we were just kids but as time went by, we grew into adults together. I won't lie and say it's been a smooth ride because there were a few rough years, but you know what ? I would do it all over again in a flash. Pappy

Update: 05/20/2019....the 58 years has now turned to 62 years. Still feel the same. Pappy​

Where are all the men going?

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]I was just a little shaver when WW2 was at its peak. I recall asking my Mom, where are Dad, Uncle Len and Uncle Don going? As it was, they were either off to war or doing their part in the war effort.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]My Dad had gone into the Marines and would end up going to that wonderful tropical island called Iwo Jima. After enduring that horrible experience, he came back and things did not work out for Mom and Dad. It changes a person like most of us will never know. Anyway, Dad is still with us at the age of 92 and his mind is sharp as a tack.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]My Uncle Don had tried to join the service, but a heart murmur kept him out. He went to Niagara Falls to work in a chemical plant. He later found out, after the war, that this factory was part of a project called "The Manhatten Project." For those who don't know what this was, it was related to the Atom bomb.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]A few of the things I remember about the war was scrape metal drives in Norwich. Everyone would collect as much metal objects as they could and you would take it to a collection point, usually at one of the parks.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]At times Norwich would have air raid drills. All lights were put out, or we could cover our windows with blankets. I can remember the candles coming out until the sirens sounded. There was a tall airplane lookout tower at the top of West Hill. These contained charts of different type of airplanes so that one could identify what type of plane flew over. This was torn down after the war.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]I remember shopping at A and P with my Mom and Grandmother. They had a ration book which allowed them to buy certain items that were on ration. I believe sugar, coffee and more were just some of the items that were in short supply.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]I can remember my Grandfather sitting by the radio listening to FDR and later Truman giving their updates about the war, and finally D-Day.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]I have a friend in Florida who was a Navigater on a B-29 which flew out of the Timian Islands. He made many bombing runs and lived to tell about it. This is where the Atomic bomb flew out of too.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]It was a tough time for a little boy to understand what was going on, but I thank God for our unsung heros that gave up so much so that I can enjoy the life I have now.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]

OMG, almost 2 years since my last entry. Boy does time fly. This has been the year to spend lots of money for things that are wearing out. New washer and dryer coming later today and they ain’t cheap. Last pair we bought were like 6 or 7 hundred dollars. Ha, double that plus. The stimulus check helped buy our lift chairs, although it didn’t cover the whole amount. Living on a tight budget takes a lot of planning to work these things in.

Life here in the park is slowly getting back to normal. Clubhouse is open as well as our swimming pool. Bingo, coffee mornings and ice cream socials are going again. A Memorial Day party is this Sunday. A lot of the park is deserted, because we have a lot of snowbirds that leave for the summer. Neighbors on both sides of us are gone.

My wife and I are trying to get out more. Parks, beach and dining out. We were cooped up for more than a year and are starting to make up for lost time. We both enjoy cruising around the park in our old golf cart. It is pretty slow compared to the new ones. For a 1987 cart, it is darn good shape.

Have a bit more to enter into the old diary, but lunch is ready and I’m hungry. See ya.

Last night we made airplane reservations to fly to NY for family reunion at my granddaughters house. It’s not until August, but a big step for me as I told everyone I’d never fly again. I get too nervous and the thought of it makes my skin crawl.
So yesterday I said to myself, self..:sneaky:, get with the program. It’s your family so suck it up.
We have a doctors visit soon and maybe he can recommend something to take to calm me down, besides a pint of Jack Daniels whiskey.
Anyway, I’ve got a couple months to give it some thought.
Our town is opening up just about everything now. Masks are still being worn by a few folks, and that’s just fine. I think my doctor still requires them, I know the VA does and my dentist visit the other day did. It was quite a year for everyone and so happy the end is in sight. I imagine we will need boosters, just like flu shots, to keep ahead of it.

Last night we made airplane reservations to fly to NY for family reunion at my granddaughters house. It’s not until August, but a big step for me as I told everyone I’d never fly again. I get too nervous and the thought of it makes my skin crawl.
So yesterday I said to myself, self..:sneaky:, get with the program. It’s your family so suck it up.
We have a doctors visit soon and maybe he can recommend something to take to calm me down, besides a pint of Jack Daniels whiskey.
Our town is opening up just about everything now. Masks are still being worn by a few folks, and that’s just fine. I think my doctor still requires them, I know the VA does and my dentist visit the other day did. It was quite a year for everyone and so happy the end is in sight. I imagine we will need boosters, just like flu shots, to keep ahead of it.
Pappy,
Check with the airline to see if you can get handicapped service to whisk you and Mrs. Pappy through the airports during your trip. It will remove much of the hassle and make the trip easier for both of you.

I would still keep the Jack Daniels handy in case of snakebites.😊

I'm not a fan of flying either. Scares the hell outta me. If I never have to again...I won't. If the doc won't give you anything then I would go with the booze when the drink cart comes out. LOL!

Golly, it’s been a long time since I wrote in my diary. Guess I better do better.
Anyway, I’m going through tons of old photos taken over 84 years or more. Thought I might post a few and if your interested take a look. If not, that’s okay too. You all know me as a guy who loves to reminisce things from the past. Here’s a couple to get started.
First one was in 1947 and I’m showing off my new bike. Second, is about mid 60s with me at my uncles camp.
7CFBA860-560D-4D6E-9433-9AFC96048E09.jpegB59D8C26-60B3-4A21-B946-1CAD2438FF72.jpeg

Wrote this several years ago in our little hometown newspaper.

When my family first moved into the old house on the hill, indoor plumbing was still not installed, so we used the outhouse located about halfway between the road and barn. My grandparents lived with us for a while amd Grandpa always have goats. Two females, Josie and Rags, and one Billy named Bachalor Button. Old Bach was a miserable, ugly and down right pain in the rear.

I was scared to death of him because he loved to butt people and it hurt. He would butt so hard he would knock the side of the barn off and get out. The old outhouse was my safe house. I would get off the school bus and look around to see if Bach had gotten out. Sure enough, here he comes with fire in his eyes. I could not make it to the house, but I could reach the outhouse just in time. I would yell my head off until my Grandpa came out and put the demon back in the barn. He was the only one that wasn't afraid of Bach. As I look back on this, I bet I would still be afraid of that dumb goat, only now there would be no safe outhouse to hid in.

Back