Ovens. To clean constantly, or not to use, that is the question

This is the one that I have.

https://www.oster.com/oster/oster-designed-for-life-6-slice-toaster-oven-silver/TSSTTVDFL2.html

I bought it specifically because of the automatic shutoff feature.

If I forget that it's on it will automatically shut off at the end of the set cooking time.

It also can be set to stay on until you turn it off.

I've never used it to cook a whole chicken or a roast it might tend to over brown them if they have extended cooking times.

Be very careful using foil or pyrex dishes in a toaster oven.

I use mine to cook a piece of fish, chops, heat and eat frozen items, etc... with good results.

This is my tip for the perfect roast chicken! :):playful::eek:nthego:

348s.jpg

I have a toaster oven but I was told to think of it as a disposable .

When I need to clean it. I take it outside and use oven cleaner and leave it out overnight.

Wipe it clean with paper towels. Use a spray bottle of water to rinse.

Never use my stove oven. Not working. Use it for storage. Not worth fixing for one person.
Shoot, just send that puppy through the carwash!!

Denise--I'm not familiar with the Oster, but that is usually a dependable brand. It has good reviews, too. I'm sure it will get the job done as far as roasting your veggies.

I use my Breville several times a week; my full-size ovens hardly ever get used anymore except for around the holidays.
It will be here Tuesday, looking forward to it ;) I didn't realize "Toaster Ovens" had become way more than just toasting things ;) Don't ask where I've been, I'm trying to forget :giggle:

I probably spent too much, although I got $40 cash back w/Amazon card. :)
The new one I have coming ... https://www.amazon.com/Breville-BOV...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B001L5TVGW

They advise precautions w/foil in the ovens. Parchment Paper is a good alternative.. it's safe to 420.. works for roasting vegetables and all baking.

I would have gotten a Breville if I could have, very nice. I do love the coupons, etc., Amazon Prime has. I got 10 bucks off that Oster I got;)

Hi. I haven't used the self clean option as I have birds and it kills them I found out! Thanks for that suggestion of vinegar and baking soda. Mine has black tar on the bottom that needs cleaning off. I don't want to use oven cleaner either because of the horrible fumes. I use my oven about once a week. It is a real pain to try to clean them isn't it?

Does anyone remember/ or had an Amana RadarRange? We had one back in the late 70's/80's ... used it all the time. It sat on the counter, but it weighed a ton!

iu

Amana Radar Range was one of the first microwave ovens.

I remember a department store demonstrating it and they were cooking hot dogs.

That's why they called it Radar Range because of the microwave function.

Well by golly you guys I also took the plunge and bought a Cuisinart Toaster Oven. It just arrived here the other day and I'm still reading the instructions with all the do's and don'ts. Made some room for it in the kitchen and I'm now looking forward to using it and expanding my very limited cooking skills. Oh Boy!! :encouragement:

My Daughter was telling me she has an Oster Toaster Oven which she likes very much.

I've got a Hamilton Beach countertop pizza oven and its wonderful...bake most everything in it - casseroles, cookies, bread,
french fries, muffins, etc.

Advice, get outside the box, bake, crisp and roast in it too. Think you will love it.
Use this little oven way more than my other two "big" ones!

Hi. I haven't used the self clean option as I have birds and it kills them I found out! Thanks for that suggestion of vinegar and baking soda. Mine has black tar on the bottom that needs cleaning off. I don't want to use oven cleaner either because of the horrible fumes. I use my oven about once a week. It is a real pain to try to clean them isn't it?

Yes, it is hard to do them by hand, but I've decided, after talking to my sister and 2 other gals, that I'll just use the "self-cleaning" option. I don't have any pets to worry about, just the heat from it, but my sis says hers is not hard at all and she is pretty crippled up. More later as I want to give a full explanation to all of you that have helped me figure this out :)

Well by golly you guys I also took the plunge and bought a Cuisinart Toaster Oven. It just arrived here the other day and I'm still reading the instructions with all the do's and don'ts. Made some room for it in the kitchen and I'm now looking forward to using it and expanding my very limited cooking skills. Oh Boy!! :encouragement:

My Daughter was telling me she has an Oster Toaster Oven which she likes very much.
good for you Davey!! I think it's the best purchase I've made in awhile!! Mine is an Oster, and I did check the inner temp to see if it got as hot as it says it will. It did!! Now I will have to think of more things to cook using it :) I love the toast it makes, no more toasters for me, lol!

I've got a Hamilton Beach countertop pizza oven and its wonderful...bake most everything in it - casseroles, cookies, bread,
french fries, muffins, etc.

Advice, get outside the box, bake, crisp and roast in it too. Think you will love it.
Use this little oven way more than my other two "big" ones!

I've been searching for info on how to make vegies come out crispy, like the oven does them. I mean my big oven. If you have any tips for me I am all ears all ears.jpg

Does anyone remember/ or had an Amana RadarRange? We had one back in the late 70's/80's ... used it all the time. It sat on the counter, but it weighed a ton!
Hi Bonnie, I sure remember the name Amana :) and the radarrange as well seems familiar. We didn't have anything like that but I know we had friends that did ;)

Denise1952... crispy veggies in a countertop oven?

Just use the cookie sheet, I use a sheet of parchment and spray or coat the veggies with oil and garlic/herbs (if you like herbs). Place them on a single layer - turn the convection on and back at 400° -425°for about 15 minutes. Love doing all kinds of veggies that way - small quartered red potatoes, zucchini, green onions, etc. The green onions roast quicker and come out very crunchy!

Denise1952... crispy veggies in a countertop oven?

Just use the cookie sheet, I use a sheet of parchment and spray or coat the veggies with oil and garlic/herbs (if you like herbs). Place them on a single layer - turn the convection on and back at 400° -425°for about 15 minutes. Love doing all kinds of veggies that way - small quartered red potatoes, zucchini, green onions, etc. The green onions roast quicker and come out very crunchy!

Thanks Liberty!! I'll try this just as you recommend!!

Denise, as we used to do food formulating professionally found out each oven is different so I'm sure if you play with the temps and times if it doesn't come out right the first try you'll be able to get the crispy veggies you want!

Denise, as we used to do food formulating professionally found out each oven is different so I'm sure if you play with the temps and times if it doesn't come out right the first try you'll be able to get the crispy veggies you want!

Ok Liberty :) Thanks for all your help ;) It does heat up great! Checked the temp at 425 and it was right on ;)

Back