Scared, Landlord Selling Building, Will Have To Move

Probably they are facing higher costs themselves, property taxes, etc. Everything is going up everywhere. Maybe they're just trying to make ends meet like everyone else is. People can't afford to run a rental property if it isn't profitable.
Everything you said could be true. It could also be that they raised the rents to get a better selling price (if they raised them just before they put the place on the market). Can't blame them for looking out for themselves. Rentals are a business for the owners, not a charity.

Probably they are facing higher costs themselves, property taxes, etc. Everything is going up everywhere. Maybe they're just trying to make ends meet like everyone else is. People can't afford to run a rental property if it isn't profitable.
Bingo! As a landlord of the past thirty-three years, I can attest that rising taxes have forced me to repeatedly raise my rents, over time. I have no desire to stick it to my tenants. Rather, even with raising my rents, I do not make a penny on my houses until half the year is gone!

That's a good idea? What they did which I think was Evil? Snip!

Why are you asking us these questions? From the (not included) context, you seem to want to convey information, your opinion. You're ending too many of your declarative sentences with a question mark, in so many of your posts. You will get your information across, in a smoother fashion, if you use the "." instead of the "?".

Last edited:
Why are you asking us these questions? From the (not included) context, you seem to want to convey information, your opinion. You're ending too many of your declarative sentences with a question mark, in so many of your posts. You will get your information across, in a smoother fashion, if you use the "." instead of the "?".
You sound like your having a BAD day??? Why is me asking a question bothering you? That's what people do? Why Not skip something if you don't like what your seeing? You've Never asked a question if anyone? Try and have a better day by being NICE to others you'll feel better. Take care

Like gravity, mathematics dispassionately remains exactly the same whether one believes in it or not.

Sometimes people are unwilling to read the writing on the wall, even when it's in bold font, ten feet high, and is clearly demonstrated by a 2nd grade math problem, i.e., if we can't cover our overhead with our income, our savings are going to rapidly disappear.

Pat, over past two years you've reported attempting several jobs in various fields, all of which collapsed almost immediately. Plus your health continues to deteriorate. So it's unlikely that future employment will fill your financial gap, thus you'll need to rely on SS and savings.

The sooner you eliminate or minimize your upside-down financial predicament the more options you'll have. The longer you delay with reasons, excuses, hopes and prayers, the more dire your situation will ultimately become. The math doesn't change.

For the record, your landlord isn't being villainous or greedy ($1600 a month for a suburban Los Angeles 1-2 bedroom apartment is actually below market pricing). Landlords are not running charities; owning property is their business for which they expect to realize a profit. As with all businesses, we are free to patronize that landlord or not.

You've gotten some great advice on SF boards. Take it or don't.

p.s. @Liberty, in a posting two years ago she mentioned the bankruptcy, so it's been at least that long.

Last edited:
You're always complaining about having money problems, yet you insist on staying and living in a very expensive state. You don't want solutions, you just like to complain. You can probably find cheaper lifestyles in states just across the border. If you just want to stay in CA because you want to live near family, ask them to take you in and live with them even if you have to pay rent to them. If you don't want advice, don't ask for advice and do things YOUR way or pray till kingdom come if you think prayers REALLY work.
Yanno what? Sometimes we put words down so that we can see what we're thinking. Sometimes a solution presents itself from re-reading the words. Sometimes we complain because we're scared or confused or at our wits' end and can't see any further ahead than the ends of our own noses.

Pick up and move? Have you ever tried to just pick up and move without the financial wherewithal to do it? There comes a time when "just" getting a job isn't possible any longer so the ability to generate income is nil.

Sometimes somebody else has a bright idea that we hadn't thought of. Patnono, sometimes there are advocates in social services or senior citizens' agencies who know ways to bypass the system in cases where there's a right-now need. It doesn't cost anything to ask.

We have other posters who ask for advice, but don't/won't take it. It's not because they don't want to; it's because they're stuck. Stuck emotionally. Stuck financially. Stuck physically. Stuck because they're frustrated and scared. Stuck for whatever reason. Stuck. By the time we get to be "senior" seniors, the fear of the unknown is debilitating...paralyzing.

Walk a mile in their shoes. Then criticize.

We have a couple of other posters who do the same thing...ask for advice but don't take it. They're very well aware that they have to do something but are so stuck that they simply can't. How do I know this? Because I once got so frustrated with a member's pleas, that I called her out on it and have been ashamed of myself ever since. The desire to make a change, an improvement, a move, a decision, is far different from the ability to "just do it" (with apologies to Nike!).

Maybe we should all be a little more empathetic, a little more compassionate, a little more patient. We don't know when we're going to need the same favors.

You sound like your having a BAD day??? Why is me asking a question bothering you? That's what people do? Why Not skip something if you don't like what your seeing? You've Never asked a question if anyone? Try and have a better day by being NICE to others you'll feel better. Take care
Forget it? You obviously don't understand the point I'm making?

@GeorgiaXplant, I get where you're going with this and completely agree that I tend to not show a lot of empathy or patience when it comes to people's long-term "stuckness" - including my own.

As it happens, I'm not much a "there-there" kind of person. I'm more a "since you've described a problem for which you're requesting assistance, this is where you might want to invest some effort and due diligence to solve your situation so you can move on from it."

We all have our own ways of looking at life and addressing our issues. Our styles run the gamut on this forum.

On my bulletin board is an an edited portion of the Bene Gesserit litany from Frank Herbert's Dune:
"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past, where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain."

It helps me remember that I am bigger than my fears. Surrendering to them paralyzes me, preventing me from constructive action.

It's quite possible patnono posting about her problems as less than idealistic over the past two years isn't really looking for advice. One could even imagine her posts as trolling.

I tend to think she is lonely, vulnerable & using this forum as a way to communicate that feeling. In this particular post of hers I have no words of advice. But if I did I would post as others have done.

I think we all know that cyber bullying exists but then there are those that try to help. I think that could be classified as anti bullying.

IMO georgiaxplant posted the most reasonable, logical description of why some just don't get to live their best life.

I
@GeorgiaXplant, I get where you're going with this and completely agree that I tend to not show a lot of empathy or patience when it comes to people's long-term "stuckness" - including my own.

As it happens, I'm not much a "there-there" kind of person. I'm more a "since you've described a problem for which you're requesting assistance, this is where you might want to invest some effort and due diligence to solve your situation so you can move on from it."

We all have our own ways of looking at life and addressing our issues. Our styles run the gamut on this forum.

On my bulletin board is an an edited portion of the Bene Gesserit litany from Frank Herbert's Dune:
"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past, where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain."

It helps me remember that I am bigger than my fears. Surrendering to them paralyzes me, preventing me from constructive action.
This is GREAT! That’s for the reminder. ❤️

I think we all know that cyber bullying exists but then there are those that try to help. I think that could be classified as anti bullying.

Many people have told me that I am ''harsh'', and I fully agree. But like @StarSong said, "I'm not much of a "there-there" kind of person". I can be very empathetic, and I can usually see both sides of the problem. But after seeing that the person does nothing to improve their problem and keeps making the same mistakes over and over, I just lose my patience. You can be too close to your problem and are unable to see the possible solutions, but when many kind and helpful people on this forum try to help and you continue to ignore their advice, that is unacceptable. And I don't care how ''stuck'' you are, I'll let others be the ''there-there'' type of listeners that continue to offer platitudes and enable your self destructing lifestyle. When Patnono's ''savings'' run out, guess who will be supporting her, you and I the middle-class taxpayers.

My Social Work background gives me a sense of empathy, as is my nature. BUT, there have been times in recent years where I have had to turn to real life problems, those of others and my own and say "Suck it up Buttercup" and work on fixing the problem.
This past year has been Hell for me, and yes, I have wanted to whine and complain . But I was given a wake up call and told that I would not be helped unless I made a move to help myself.
Have I had issues over the past few months? Absolutely. Have I worked to solve them all....well, I tried. But I just am not sitting back and say that 2020 can only get better. Right? But only if I work to make it better.

@Marie5656 - You have done very well. Some recent widows take to their bed and expect others to hold their hand forever and listen to their grieving for ages. You grieved for Rick long enough, and then dusted yourself off and worked into adapting to your new single lifestyle and are even looking forward to doing some traveling. That is exactly what life is about, to quote @oldman , "When you are facing a difficult situation, you have to "improvise, adapt and overcome." And you, Marie, are a living example of that attitude and philosophy! 😻 💋

We have a couple of other posters who do the same thing...ask for advice but don't take it. They're very well aware that they have to do something but are so stuck that they simply can't.
Well, after a couple years of my 'WTF??' questioning, she did manage to find the wherewithal to put me on ignore
So, she can do some things

Nutshell;

Some folks get on with it
.....some get off on it

I believe she is of the latter

Yanno what? Sometimes we put words down so that we can see what we're thinking. Sometimes a solution presents itself from re-reading the words. Sometimes we complain because we're scared or confused or at our wits' end and can't see any further ahead than the ends of our own noses.

Pick up and move? Have you ever tried to just pick up and move without the financial wherewithal to do it? There comes a time when "just" getting a job isn't possible any longer so the ability to generate income is nil.

Sometimes somebody else has a bright idea that we hadn't thought of. Patnono, sometimes there are advocates in social services or senior citizens' agencies who know ways to bypass the system in cases where there's a right-now need. It doesn't cost anything to ask.

We have other posters who ask for advice, but don't/won't take it. It's not because they don't want to; it's because they're stuck. Stuck emotionally. Stuck financially. Stuck physically. Stuck because they're frustrated and scared. Stuck for whatever reason. Stuck. By the time we get to be "senior" seniors, the fear of the unknown is debilitating...paralyzing.

Walk a mile in their shoes. Then criticize.
How do you know I've never been in their shoes and walked my way out of them. People who chose to be victims will always be one.

Well, after a couple years of my 'WTF??' questioning, she did manage to find the wherewithal to put me on ignore
So, she can do some things

Nutshell;

Some folks get on with it
.....some get off on it

I believe she is of the latter
How did you know she put you on ignore? I BET I'm on ignore, too. Going off to look.

Back