Share your day..April 2013

... I will kill possums and armadillos. Armadillos, because they can tear up the lawn and pasture in one night, are ankle breakers, and pretty much have no redeeming social value ...

Of course it isn't ME that's twisting my ankle in the backyard, but armadillos DO have some value. They keep the bug populations down, and their unique birthing habits (giving birth to 4 identical babies) is of great value to scientists studying birth defects, cloning, etc.

Possums because of the disease they carry, although they will kill snakes and due to their low body temperature are not generally rabies carriers.

But also due to their low body temps they are more likely to be carriers of typhoid, at least that's what I've read.

Humans carry diseases as well - maybe we should start a "thinning" of the herd ... set out traps baited with Big Macs ... :cool:

This crafty critter has managed to trip both cages for the last few nights without getting caught. Too tired to set them tonight, but tomorrow night he's getting peanut butter and marshmallows...and hopefully a one way ticket outta here.

Well, at least you aren't going to engage in wholesale slaughter with HIM ... probably because he has little "jazz hands" ...
Whistle.gif
devilish.png

Watching Hello Kitty watching a gopher hole . . . (don't want to think about who's watching me...). The last time she was waiting for the right time to pounce, I just had to stroll up with my shovel and ruin the entire plan. So, leaving the expert to her devices and hoping there will be a present at my doorstep sometime today . . . !

A sparrowhawk visited my garden early morning... A mass of feathers on the lawn. A poor pigeon was taken unawares...

Nature is beautiful and heartless. A hawk's gotta eat, too. Although I hate seeing another animal killed, it's just the process and I'm reminded of that each time I paddled out into the ocean for some glorious wave riding as the lowest item on the food chain menu...

Ozarkgal, and the status of Rocky Rahcoon would be???

We have all kinds of birds but someone of them has driven away the Kildeer, which are ground-nesting birds.

We have Wild Turkeys, one of which is white but I doubt he's a true albino, from what I've read. My camera isn't good enough to zoom in from 1,000 feet so all I have is a white blurp. The Wild Turkeys used to make me late for work a few times each Spring. They will not get off the road until they come to the exact spot thru the fence where they entered the road in the first place. Thankfully my boss was raised a lot more remote than where I live so, when I called her and said the Turkeys were making me late, she knew full-well what I was talking about - lol

Red Tail Hawks but I lost one two years ago, I saw all the feathers in the pasture that did not make me happy and I don't know what a Hawk's predator is:(.

Barn Owls that don't live in my barn, an occasional Bat, Blue Birds, Blue Jays, Chicadees, Cardinals, Doves, Mockingbirds, Red Wing Blackbirds; Grackles which are a Blackbird with purple-ish backs and nothing but free-loaders at the feeder; Robins, various types of Sparrows<---one of whom built her mud nest right on top of the barn light so I hope the eggs she's sitting on aren't hardboiled by now. I haven't seen the Purple Martins yet and I have only seen a few pair of Geese fly over; I used to see 50 - 100 every year but they keep dwindling.

Turkey Buzzards -- they're illegal to kill in this state, just like rattlesnakes<---okeee-dokeee but I hadn't better find one curled up on the garage apron:p I have seen Turkey Buzzards have a 50 pound carcass of something picked clean in less than a day. That might be why it's illegal to kill them - they do a better job of cleaning up than the highway department. On my road, at least, they don't fly away when a car comes and they're eating something in the road. They will calmly lift into the nearest trees, wait until the vehicle passes and come right back down to start picking again.

That was a far cry from "share your day" but, birds was mentioned at one point - lol.

We had both tractors in mowing mode today and there's still some left. Plus the pasture by the road needs bushhogged already - Oh Happy Day<---not:(

We have the Wild Turkeys, too. But, so far no "white blurp . . . " Once, was treated to the flock parading around with their youngsters in tow. Watched them grow through the year. Now, there are only a few; a couple of males and a few females. Waiting to see the new crew, again. love red winged blackbirds but they don't live on the coast.Have been treated to HUGE owl swooping across the road late at night.

Now, as for the day . . . walked up the road to the mailbox and discovered some lowlife suckers had pried it open! Luckily, all my important stuff goes to my P.O. Box but, am concerned about the other folks using that central box. Post Office says . . . they'll get around to fixing it . . . ?!?!?

After transplanting some flowers, took a LONG nap . . . one of my favorite hobbies...

WOW! Still hearing mowers outside and it's nearly 2000hr (8pm). Good to have the wild grass gone before fire season. We had a very, very dry winter.

Winds had calmed yesterday so I burned a brush pile and picked up more limbs to add to it.

Then started mowing some weeds and poison ivy on the other side of the creek. Suddenly saw a green tree snake on the ground right in front of the mower. I screeched to a stop but the mower hood was over the snake so I couldn't see if the blades had got him or not. I backed up, got off the mower and looked through the weeds for him. Finally found him climbing a bush next to a big pine tree.

I looked him over ( and he looked me over) and he wasn't hurt. I got back on the mower but it wouldn't start. I took the battery out and put it on the charger. I hope to finish mowing today.

Today is our 23rd anniversary. Wifey and I married in 1990 at the little Unity church where we met. Wifey continues her recovery from major back surgery three and a half weeks ago, so we'll do our celebrating a bit later. We have friends in Oregon who married one year ago today, and we plan to head up there with the motor home when she can travel. Then we'll have a belated celebration with them!

Winds had calmed yesterday so I burned a brush pile and picked up more limbs to add to it.

Then started mowing some weeds and poison ivy on the other side of the creek. Suddenly saw a green tree snake on the ground right in front of the mower. I screeched to a stop but the mower hood was over the snake so I couldn't see if the blades had got him or not. I backed up, got off the mower and looked through the weeds for him. Finally found him climbing a bush next to a big pine tree.

I looked him over ( and he looked me over) and he wasn't hurt. I got back on the mower but it wouldn't start. I took the battery out and put it on the charger. I hope to finish mowing today.

Are green tree snakes poisonous Larry? Caring for your property must keep you in shape! :D I just have a normal house with front and back yard, and I have outdoor chores that I've been neglecting. Some rain and possible snow in the forecast again for tomorrow, so maybe it's just the weather. :rain:

Happy Anniversary Fishwisher!!:applouse::pepper:

A few years back I was mowing under a tree up on the ridge when one of those Green Snakes, only about 8 inches, dropped off a tree branch onto the lawn tractor.

It takes a lot to un-nerve me but I screamed and bailed off the tractor which, back then, still had the safety shut-off hooked up. It's just a good thing I didn't have the John Deere as, how I surely would have totalled that tractor out would've been hard to explain to my insurance agent.

The reason I panicked was my son's father had told me of the time he was in Nam, going thru the rice paddies with bayonnet in position, and a Bamboo Viper Snake, a/k/a "Seven Stepper", dropped down onto the end of his bayonnet. He couldn't holler, drop his gun and run, nothing. Just had to keep marching. The snake was nicknamed a Seven-Stepper because that's about all you got if it bit you.

It wasn't me that saw that snake in Nam but I sure had a 40-some year old flashback to the conversation about it. It didn't take me long to find out those little Green Snakes are not poisonous - lol lol

The Banded Krait. We called 'em Two-Steppers. But, no matter how many steps you got, it was not a good thing. To this day, I still shake out my shoes before putting them on. The other day, was preparing to do some digging in the yard, grabbed my old boots sitting outside by the door, gave them the ol' shake and out popped a frog. See? You can never be too careful . . . damn them 2-step frogs...!

Mission accomplished

Ozarkgal, and the status of Rocky Rahcoon would be???]

When we let the Gangstas out this morning they went ballistic with their "we see something really, really exciting" barking.
Looked out and sure enough Rocky Racky was (finally) trapped.
happy-085.gif

After we called the Gangstas off, I walked out to have a look at him and he had his head hidden under his chest. He seems to think if he can't see you, you can't see him..LOL I gave him a handful of cat food and he wasn't too scared to eat it.

He will be relocated later this morning on our way to town.

Awww ... good luck, Rock! ;)

Maybe when you let him out at the new location he'll tell all his friends and family about the nice lady who gave him cat food, and you'll wake up tomorrow with 100 raccoons in your yard, all doing the Rocky dance and staring at your door. :D

Back