Single women, single men after 55, as well as other "groups" that have some wisdom to share..

At our age, it is hard to meet an unattached male. At my local gov. sponsored Senior Center, it was possible to join if you were 62 and disabled. Well, I was. I remember the first day I walked in the door. Lots of women looked at me as though I were a "hunk". Believe me, this was the only time in my life when I had that feeling. I went to the center for a month, and I was always the only unattached male.

At our age, it is hard to meet an unattached male. At my local gov. sponsored Senior Center, it was possible to join if you were 62 and disabled. Well, I was. I remember the first day I walked in the door. Lots of women looked at me as though I were a "hunk". Believe me, this was the only time in my life when I had that feeling. I went to the center for a month, and I was always the only unattached male.

I would have looked too if you're as cute as your picture, lol;) It is very hard to meet unattached folks. Or many just are shy, maybe don't think they are attractive anymore because of age. I've taken out all the mirrors in my apartment (ok, they all broke, lol).

There's a fairly large group of single males at the city-sponsored senior center I go to. There's a center across town where I've taken the AARP safe driver courses that seems to be nearly all widowed or otherwise unattached men. I was very surprised first time I went there. Don't know why, but I didn't expect it. Quite a few of the activities at the centers are things men would enjoy.

Ok, I think we should all head on over to Jane's Senior Center, course then we might end up having to draw straws since we'd probably out-number the fellers
:sosad:

Man, thats a lot of excitement for me Jane!! Don't know if I could handle one of those, bad boys, :giggle:!!

I know. Too funny. What I took away is that I wanted no part of it.

Another thing I would add to the list is must be able to take care of himself. I'm not signing up for the job. When I was a young married in the 60s it was expected that a woman worked as many hours as a man and then went home and did all of the cooking and cleaning. If nothing else, liberation must mean the end of that kind of slavery.

I know. Too funny. What I took away is that I wanted no part of it.

Another thing I would add to the list is must be able to take care of himself. I'm not signing up for the job. When I was a young married in the 60s it was expected that a woman worked as many hours as a man and then went home and did all of the cooking and cleaning. If nothing else, liberation must mean the end of that kind of slavery.

I wouldn't mind taking care of a fella, although I would hope he's been trained right and be willing to help me out with some things, not be lazy. I cook for myself, 3 meals a day, and if I met a guy, I would so love that he liked to cook too. Oh, and was actually good at it, LOL! No, he doesn't have to be a Culinary graduate;)

Any guys reading?? What would you cook for your lady, say, for dinner??

Ok, here's a site, this is full of ideas on dating in later years! I'm we can have a laugh about some of these, but who knows??

Check this out, and put anything up you find on Seniors Dating after 60!! LOL!! This is pretty cool;)

I just turned 55 a few months ago, but "speed" dating sounds about right at this age. Life is too short!:love_heart:

Cute videos, Denise!

Sorry one more post, but this shows speed-dating events throughout the US. I am still looking for other countries as well but maybe if you live in other than the US you may have some info for us??

Man, of course if you're in a larger city you'll find plenty of these events!! Lucky gals, I would do this, what a blast if nothing else;)

http://www.pre-dating.com//speed-dating-events/

I just turned 55 a few months ago, but "speed" dating sounds about right at this age. Life is too short!:love_heart:

Cute videos, Denise!

I hear you cindy, and many of these are for 50 and over!! I am ready to move! Most of the things I would love to do are in larger cities. I'm turning 65 this month so I just need to start looking at different areas to live. Ina and I talked about it a lot, but I couldn't handle Texas as it's just too different than what I am used to, weather-wise. These videos are taken in Wisconsin and what was the other:confused: I think like Indianna, so more midwest, or Great Lakes States.

Oh, well I was going to say, Come to Florida!:).... but too warm for you!. I'm originally from Northern New York and miss the nice people and change of scenery....maybe, hopefully I can head North again some day. I've never been a "Florida" person, I guess because it's not my true home and what I am accustomed to.

I know it sounds kind of odd to some, but Florida never appealed to me because I like the 4 seasons. Up, too, far North and I think too "much" snow, so maybe something more moderate in it's 4 seasons, hah, that's my home-State, Oregon! But the only larger population is really Portland and I would not move back there I don't think:confused:

I've always been fascinated with New England States, and Great Lakes areas. I read books that are set in the Great Lakes areas. A larger city would have plenty of public transportation so I could finally get rid of my truck. Plus, so many things to do, but BIG city would be too much for this country-gal I'm afraid;)

I've heard New York State has lovely cities and towns but when I hear that name, a automatically picture New York City!! Eek! LOL!!

First, I have been married for just over 50 years. Last night, I was on a flight returning from Tampa and sat in a row of three seats. The lady had the window seat and I had been assigned the aisle seat. After she learned from the flight attendants that I was a retired pilot for United, we had a nice conversation for about half of our short trip. She asked me questions about flying and somehow the conversation got turned around into how did she like being single at 60 years old. She was perfectly fine with it living alone with her cat and not having to report back to anyone or worry about her partner and a lot of other stuff that is associated with marriage life. By the time we had finished the conversation, I was about half envious and thought, "Gee, maybe I have been really missing out on a better life."

I guess it's like anything else, you have to try it to see if you like it. I know that she sure convinced me that she did.

First, I have been married for just over 50 years. Last night, I was on a flight returning from Tampa and sat in a row of three seats. The lady had the window seat and I had been assigned the aisle seat. After she learned from the flight attendants that I was a retired pilot for United, we had a nice conversation for about half of our short trip. She asked me questions about flying and somehow the conversation got turned around into how did she like being single at 60 years old. She was perfectly fine with it living alone with her cat and not having to report back to anyone or worry about her partner and a lot of other stuff that is associated with marriage life. By the time we had finished the conversation, I was about half envious and thought, "Gee, maybe I have been really missing out on a better life."

I guess it's like anything else, you have to try it to see if you like it. I know that she sure convinced me that she did.

I would have loved to have a 50 year friend/companion and love of my life oldman:) Some people are cut out to be alone. I am alone, so maybe it is the way it's supposed to be. I chalk it up to not making wise decisions when it came to dating.

I'm glad the lady is happy, but I also have to add, that if it were me sitting next to you, I would have focused on the "good" of being single as soon as I found out you were already taken, I mean to let you know I wasn't trying to hustle up on a married guy;) Denise PS but if you were single, I might have mentioned how I wouldn't mind meeting someone of the same mind, wanting a companion/friend/lover;)

She was a professional lady that was keeping very busy. She also volunteered for a group that helps those that have just lost loved ones. She told me that in a way she was grateful for being single because she would not have the time or energy that it takes to keep a happy marriage and she is right about that. I remember the two years that I was flying the Chicago to Honolulu route. For me, it was a real career move, but my wife did not see it that it way. She only saw how it affected her life and that I wasn't home very much. After two years, I had to leave that route and go back to only flying in the states, so that I would be home more often. It was still good to be flying, but the Chicago to Honolulu route really gave my career a boost, so it did cause some friction between us. I can only imagine how some over the road long haul truckers may feel at times if their wife is the same as mine was.

She was a professional lady that was keeping very busy. She also volunteered for a group that helps those that have just lost loved ones. She told me that in a way she was grateful for being single because she would not have the time or energy that it takes to keep a happy marriage and she is right about that. I remember the two years that I was flying the Chicago to Honolulu route. For me, it was a real career move, but my wife did not see it that it way. She only saw how it affected her life and that I wasn't home very much. After two years, I had to leave that route and go back to only flying in the states, so that I would be home more often. It was still good to be flying, but the Chicago to Honolulu route really gave my career a boost, so it did cause some friction between us. I can only imagine how some over the road long haul truckers may feel at times if their wife is the same as mine was.

I had a very, active, busy husband too, even though he was home every night. I worked during the day as well but it "felt" like he didn't have time for me. What I realized, later in life, is that I needed to have some hobbies, and things to do besides expect him to "entertain" me. That's all I'll say about that, but I learned a lot of things late in my life.

I heard a famous man's wife say when asked what it was like for her to see so little of her husband and she said that one day with her husband was like a year with any other man. She loved him a lot. Some relationships would be way better if people "didn't" see so much of eachother, LOL!!

I somehow got "my perfect man" idea out of movies, and unfortunately it stuck. 2 movies I can think of when I see them now, are The Quiet Man w/John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara. He got really rough with her in that, as well as other movies. But it made him out to be wonderful guy, and exciting, mysterious. Looking back I'd take the storekeeper in movies, not "some" of the heros.

Pardon me?? Maybe it's my perspective as a man, but... in 'The quiet man', SHE made The Duke sleep on the floor even though he jumped thru hoops to marry her. I don't think of 'him being rough on her' when I think of that movie (though I know what scene you are referring to). I think of: beautiful women being to high maintenance.

Pardon me?? Maybe it's my perspective as a man, but... in 'The quiet man', SHE made The Duke sleep on the floor even though he jumped thru hoops to marry her. I don't think of 'him being rough on her' when I think of that movie (though I know what scene you are referring to). I think of: beautiful women being to high maintenance.

I never said she was Miss Innocent, I'm saying that it's wrong to be physically abusive to a woman, and if you want to get deeper into my beliefs, I do not believe a woman being abusive to a man because she knows she can get away with it either. The movie was an example, I could name other movies as well, and maybe I best not choose any of "The Dukes" because I might offend someone. Now there's a trick, speaking about anything and not offending someone:confused:

I'm 61 and have been alone for many years. I am feeling particularly alone right now (parents gone, no children) and would love to have a close male friend but not sure I could go through the dating scene. Ugh. Too old for that. Not even sure I can do romance/sex. But companionship/affection...that would be great.

Okay, Denise...there you go. Grapenutpudding lives in Cleveland, and that's definitely Midwest. There's just one thing about living in or very near any city: if that's where one already lives, they've adjusted themselves to the cost of living. Move to one? Who the heck can afford it?

If I didn't have my granny flat attached to DD/DSIL's house, I certainly couldn't afford to live here, and I'm not exactly poverty stricken! Not well off by any means but have an income that can sustain me and have $$ left over for savings and foolish pleasures. If I had to rent a place here comparable to mine, it would cost in the neighborhood of $1000/month.

All over the country there are lots of senior living places with rent adjusted according to income. The problem is getting past the long, long waiting lists, and in order to get on a waiting list, you need to be a resident of the area where you want to be. Can you support yourself on the economy of the place you'd move to while you wait?

It's not that there aren't lots of others right where you are who are lonely and looking for companionship, male or female, it's that it takes a real effort to find them. The same old advice applies...churches, classes, senior centers, meet-ups, friends/neighbors, volunteering at shelters/food banks/animal shelters and wherever else there's a need for volunteers. Volunteers meet other volunteers, students meet other students, etc., and by finding a place to volunteer/take a class or whatever that you're interested in, you meet volunteers/students/others where you're volunteering, with whom you have at least one common interest.

Changing your location changes nothing except the scenery and/or the climate.

As a man, I don't worry too much about needs. I cook my own meals, clean dishes, do my own laundry, more my yard etc etc. I don't need an employee. Nor do i have any real criteria for the other, other than enjoyable. Men are from Mars, women are from Venus. Problem is I live on the Earth. My children laugh at me, but I have fun.

Years ago I liked at dating sites, felt like people were posting resumes. Or, people posting desires like you were qualifying for a job. Retired, don't need a job. Don't need to wake up feeling like I have a bunch of requirements for the day. If you don't like plums, but like grapefruit (can't stand grapefruit), then I go the store and get both. No big deal. Life's big problems. If you can't laugh and realize people have their differences, well there is the problem. My kids might ask, dad why do you always put bla bla bla on on top of your toast, I will answer, because putting it on the bottom gets my plate all sticky. Do I put it on top of yours? No. Then why worry about it?
I watch the grandkids for my daughter's. Dad, I don't let the boys eat this after 7 at my house. Ok, I'll remember that when I'm at your house, lucky for them they are at my house tonight. My son in law usually starts laughing, then my daughter turns to my son in law and says, you are why in the way I am? We all laugh, and u say have fun you guys, bye, we'll be fine. They come to get the boys, and the house is a mess, we are sleeping on the couch, and then she ask, how late did they stay up? I ummmm, I guess about midnight we feel asleep. That's life. They come over for a holiday, bring a couple of dishes, and I get, oh dad I brought this, I say yuk and they know I don't like it, we all start laughing and I thank God for the moment. But all know, in a crunch I'm there for them. A life emergency, I always get the call. I enjoy the people on here, the grouchy, happy whatever, life is short. I think if we worrief more about how we will treat the other, things would be better.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Back