Single women, single men after 55, as well as other "groups" that have some wisdom to share..

Back to the original topic... ???

My list keeps getting smaller. Every time I come up with something that I think

This is a deal-breaker,

OR

This is a requirement...

THEN

I meet a counter example. :playful:

Even if I just use the simple criteria: "He treats me well," I remember this

treatsothers0.gif

And then this:

There are a few people who don't deserve much respect, and I'd like him to know the difference.

SO I GAVE UP ON LISTS. :)

LOL, agreed Georgia;) I expect people to have baggage, and it's really about how they handle their baggage that counts I think;) Like, move your dang bags so I can fit mine in too!! :giggle:

That's probably the wisest way to handle baggage, one of the things we talk and laugh about the most. My friends and I all have baggage and we're pretty open about it. Everyone has baggage but it doesn't need to take over your life or your relationships.

Back to the original topic... ???

My list keeps getting smaller. Every time I come up with something that I think

This is a deal-breaker,

OR

This is an requirement...

THEN

I meet a counter example. :playful:

Even if I just use the simple criteria: "He treats me well," I remember this

View attachment 46101

And then this:

There are a few people who don't deserve much respect, and I'd like him to know the difference.

SO I GAVE UP ON LISTS. :)

I think that is a very, good point. About how the guy treats others, but it isn't always a sign that he'll treat a mate well, I found anyway. The respect thing is important for sure. And no, if I act like an ass I don't deserve the respect. All good stuff Nancy;)

That's probably the wisest way to handle baggage, one of the things we talk and laugh about the most. My friends and I all have baggage and we're pretty open about it. Everyone has baggage but it doesn't need to take over your life or your relationships.

Exactly, at the same time, I've found it hard to keep some of mine from affecting my relationships, with men and women. I'm still working on it:)

I'd love to meet a guy that likes himself, and is a secure person. We get beat up in this life, but it's our attitude towards those things that separates the men from the boys, or the women from the girls, either way. My heart is especially soft towards those that have been battered beyond recovery. I don't want to go there right now, but people are welcome to talk about what they want to.

Humility is so attractive to me anyway, a humble guy. Someone that's more old-fashioned in the "dating" way. A gentleman, and the problem I see most, or the thing that turns me off of men's dating profiles, is they "always" talk about wanting physical contact. There's nothing wrong with wanting that, but to me that is inappropriate when meeting someone for the first time. I can't imagine a guy bringing it up on a first, real, life date.

I was wild when I was young, free love and all that, but I'm not who I was back then and I want the gentleman I was too stupid to look for when I was young. Or pay any attention to when I actually met one. Again, my picker was broke. I wouldn't have known the "right" kind of guy, talk about stupid.

Well, the right kind of guy wouldn't have blown my skirt up. Unless and until you work through it, the dysfunctional hook is stronger than a healthy one could ever be.

A friend laughs and says, "He's sick, he's mine. I saw him first." That sums it up, doesn't it?

You're singin my song;) I used to say "line up 10 men, 9 good guys, and 1 bad boy" and yep, you know which I picked, arrrg.

What a thought provoking thread. I think one of the reasons Philly and I work is we didn’t come together out of neediness. Both of us were content to be alone. Starting as friends, love came as a surprise. We have differing opinions regarding political socioeconomic viewpoints, but decided to avoid conflict by discussing potentially toxic subjects with others. This way, we are each free to be ourselves without hurting the other.

You're singin my song;) I used to say "line up 10 men, 9 good guys, and 1 bad boy" and yep, you know which I picked, arrrg.

Let's face it, those guys are more exciting than a nice guy who won't think he has anything to gain by dominating or hurting you.

I would probably add that one to any list I made, "He doesn't believe he deserves to be dominant and that I must be submissive to him."

Let's face it, those guys are more exciting than a nice guy who won't think he has anything to gain by dominating or hurting you.

I would probably add that one to any list I made, "He doesn't believe he deserves to be dominant and that I must be submissive to him."

I somehow got "my perfect man" idea out of movies, and unfortunately it stuck. 2 movies I can think of when I see them now, are The Quiet Man w/John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara. He got really rough with her in that, as well as other movies. But it made him out to be wonderful guy, and exciting, mysterious. Looking back I'd take the storekeeper in movies, not "some" of the heros.

In my dreams I'd love to find what I had with my husband. In reality, I don't think I could live with anybody else, I'm too OCD and set in my ways now. I was more accepting of differences and flaws when I first married at 19....Ive only been married once and he was the love of my life and we were happily married for 35 yrs until he died in 2004. (Thought I'd add that for members that don't know me)

It would be nice to have someone to do things with and definitely could use a handyman around the house but those aren't good enough reasons for me.

Of course if I fell madly in love with someone all my good sense would fly out the window but I just don't see that happening.

Im done with dating sites (have been for awhile). I'm not even looking anymore. If it happens it will be by chance or a miracle. :)

I like the men who are emotionally mature enough to be nice guys. The "bad boys" are just that.

I think men can be more sensitive, or maybe because of their larger heads? But seriously, they seem to be more hurt over broken relationships, they don't seem to bounce back as easily. Some seem to "jump" into relationships before they have recovered from the last. I'm sure some gals are like that, maybe I am, I think I am ok, but some would disagree, LOL! Remember that book "I'm ok, you're ok"? I never read it, LOL, but my X that beat the tar outa me kept telling me to read it. If I had of, maybe I'd left him sooner;)

Did you watch the "new" Love Connection" show when it aired a few months back, the re-make of the old Chuck Woolery Love Connection. I loved watching that, so funny. I've never been on a dating site because of the bad reviews and because I don't want to pay to be on them, but, I would love to go on a dating show.

Wish there was an easier, simpler way for people to connect to other people looking for L.O.V.E. :love_heart:

I need to invent a new app.:waiting:

Did you watch the "new" Love Connection" show when it aired a few months back, the re-make of the old Chuck Woolery Love Connection. I loved watching that, so funny. I've never been on a dating site because of the bad reviews and because I don't want to pay to be on them, but, I would love to go on a dating show.

Wish there was an easier, simpler way for people to connect to other people looking for L.O.V.E. :love_heart:

I need to invent a new app.:waiting:

You go girl, I'd love to know how to make an App, that would be fun. I agree it is hard to meet folks that are into dating, but I think the dating sites are a waste of time. There are free ones, and I still have an ad up, but not catchin anything, LOL! I'm gonna grab some lunch, but I'll be back, not going anywhere today;)

For me, I'm fine single. But my interest would be in someone who has strong opinions but mostly similar to mine (I like debate but only up to a point), and someone who likes conversations. He doesn't have to have done a lot of traveling but is up on the news of the world. Someone near my age so we have remembrances in common. Doesn't have to have a lot of money but has enough to enjoy life.

I am too for the most part. It's only some of the time I feel a bit down being alone. I think a person really can get so used to it, changing back to living with someone could be very hard.

Wouldn't it be fun to have actual lists that we might have made when we were 17 or 18?? I'll have to think about it a little, but it would be fun to try and picture ourselves back then, and what we would put, say, on a dating ad:

Looking for a boyfriend: and then your list:)

1. Really cute (I know dang well that would have been my first, LOL!!
2. Has a neat car.
3. Likes to dance.

I can't think of anymore right now??

Denise there was a Hallmark Channel movie a while back and the girl makes this huge long list of what she is looking for in a husband. Well, of course, she ends up resisting, then falling for a guy the exact opposite of her list. So, there ya go!:)

That one I'd love, I love most all of the Hallmark romance movies;) I like the humorous ones especially. I was just looking for a movie to watch tonight. I have a few Christmas ones that came from the Hallmark Channel. One I don't have is "The Christmas Card" and I love that one;)

I wouldn't be surprised if a man does come into my life, if he was quite different than I "think" I want;) but in good ways, not bad ways, lol!! He's got to know how to put the seat back down, LOL!!

Makes me chuckle. My mom lived in Florida and had a bunch of single lady friends living by her. Their requirements for a man was that he had his own teeth and no walker. An eligible, single gentleman would move into the neighborhood and all the ladies would get all excited and make friends with him. It’s almost like they reverted back to school girls.

Makes me chuckle. My mom lived in Florida and had a bunch of single lady friends living by her. Their requirements for a man was that he had his own teeth and no walker. An eligible, single gentleman would move into the neighborhood and all the ladies would get all excited and make friends with him. It’s almost like they reverted back to school girls.

I'm surprised they didn't say he has to be continent. Seems like that one would be right up there with the teeth and the walker.

LOL, sounds like they had a lot of fun
fun in florida.jpg

Back