So as not to hijack another thread about cash

The cold cash made me think of my father, he used to keep good sized sums of money in the freezer wrapped in white butcher paper labeled venison liver.

That made me think of my cousin Jean, she had a husband who spent like there was no tomorrow. She saved some money for emergencies and put it in the freezer, since he wasn't a cook.

About the only place where I spend cash is at the barber shop. Everywhere else it is plastic.

If you live in hurricane country it is good to have some cash around for when the ATMs and the card readers go down.

I had a savings passbook as a child. I have saved and invested most all of my life. My dad encouraged me to be sensible when it comes to money. I took his advice and am very well off because of it. People holler at me to buy this and buy that, take trips, etc. If I don't need something I don't buy it. The only luxury item I have ever bought is a Movado watch I have always wanted. I love to contribute to charities because it cleanses me knowing I am helping people that are needy or sick especially little children.

I have an app on my phone that is linked to my bank. Every few days It takes a little out of my checking account based on some complex algorithm that I have no understanding of. 🤦🏼‍♀️

It’s not much and I never notice it, but since March I’ve saved over $700. Nice!

Although I'm doing this $1 thing on a lark (why not?), at core I've always saved money. It's in my DNA. Which explains the stash I came across. Saving dollars now is really a matter of moving money from one pile to another because I'm on a mostly fixed income.

A question for people on this thread: If you are running low on cash will you spend less at the grocery store, or will you simply put it on a CC instead? Does having a couple fewer dollars in your wallet or checking account change your behavior?

Ronni, would that money have accumulated in your checking account without the bank sending it to savings, or would you have frittered it away?

I'm the same, PVC. I hardly ever use cash any more. Every few months, I take about $100 (in 20's) out of the bank and stash it away in a drawer, to be used if needed. When it starts getting low, I withdraw another $100. But nearly everything goes on the credit card now, which I pay off every month. I could put any loose change in a container, I guess, but it seems like more trouble than it's worth.

Nice system, though, for those for whom it works.

If I'm low on cash I shop without a trolley or a basket and try to stay under the 7 item or less express checkout limit.

Sometimes I just head for home and eat out of inventory. I can scramble a couple of eggs or heat a can of soup in less time than it takes to run into the store.

A question for people on this thread: If you are running low on cash will you spend less at the grocery store, or will you simply put it on a CC instead?

I figure one way to stay alive and healthy is to eat good food. I never skimp on food. I always pay for groceries with a CC and pay it off each month. The money for other bills is in a special account and on budget, the money will be there when the bill comes due.

Although I'm doing this $1 thing on a lark (why not?), at core I've always saved money. It's in my DNA. Which explains the stash I came across. Saving dollars now is really a matter of moving money from one pile to another because I'm on a mostly fixed income.

A question for people on this thread: If you are running low on cash will you spend less at the grocery store, or will you simply put it on a CC instead? Does having a couple fewer dollars in your wallet or checking account change your behavior?

Ronni, would that money have accumulated in your checking account without the bank sending it to savings, or would you have frittered it away?
My spending behavior definitely changes if I’m running low. I become very frugal and conscious of every penny I’m spending, on what, can I get it cheaper elsewhere, do o really need it? Etc.

I was very poor for a long time and had to literally budget every penny. I’d go to the grocery with a calculator to ensure that I didn’t overspend even a few cents because I simply didn’t have it and my ex had maxed out my cards and ruined my credit so I didn’t have that as a cushion.

@StarSong to answer your question I would likely just have spent a little more at the grocery, bought two things instead of one, scored a few dollar store finds etc. rather than using those funds on a meaningful item.

Is anybody else still doing this? I forgot to post yesterday...my lettuce now has $50 in it. That dollar that got me to 50 was put in this morning so does that mean I only had $49 if I'd posted yesterday and the new dollar counts for this week? LOL Whatever it is, it's still $50. Yay me.

I had to laugh at Aunt Bea about the "cold cash" comment :) When I was growing up, my parents had a big upright freezer in the basement and my mother would stash money in an empty Calumet baking powder can and keep it in the freezer. I remember the freezer had a lock on it and they kept it locked at all times....haha. They never had a checking account and only paid with cash. I never have any money on me any more. I pay with CC for everything. My husband and I were talking about how we use to put our change in a dish in the bedroom and then after a while we'd sack it up and take it to the bank.

Along similar lines. A friend of Ricks just bought a bunch of his power tools. Decided to not bank the money, and keep it home as a sort of emergency fund. Took it to the bank and broke it down to fives and tens
I figure, if I get neighborhood kids come over asking if they can shovel snow off my deck or ramp, or help clear the car, I will have money to pay them.

I'll admit that this month was a tight squeeze, and if today hadn't been the day that SS deposited my Rocking Chair Money, I'd have had to dip into the ones. There are five weeks between this check and the one in November so I'll be pinching pennies and dollars right and left in order to have some for Christmas.

I hope you won't give up, Aunt Bea. Start over and try again. If nothing else, you'll have a few bucks saved that you may really need before the next infusion of $$ from pension and/or SS.

Back