Some Days are Blah

Pecos

Today is just a blah day. It started out normal enough, coffee with my wife was wonderful as it always is, but as the day wore on things got increasingly boring. We have been cooped up for so long now and it is getting mighty old. There is virtually no place to go around here, I am talked out on the phone, it is too hot and humid to do very much outdoors, and my neighbors have become hopelessly boring.

Even the pets are bored: the two dogs keep looking at me expecting some kind of excitement, and the cat reacts to a neck rub with a look that says: "is that all you've got?"

It looks like the highlight of my day is going to be washing the sheets and making the bed.

Now I am detecting some wonderful aromas from the kitchen, so maybe it is not all lost.

So how exciting has your day been?

I try to find something to appreciate about any day, including the blah days.... (I'm sure you folks do, too.)

But some days are more blah than others, and it's very difficult to find. :eek::rolleyes:

Perhaps it might help if we devised a system of rating for the blah days, :unsure:
from Extremely blah - Totally impossible to get excited...
through Moderately Blah...
to Mildly Blah...

Is this helping to make today, any less blah, for anyone? :whistle::sneaky:

No, I didn't think so either. o_O
But it was a little bit of fun to write it. :giggle::geek::giggle:

I don't think I have many, 'blah days', but I do wake up a tad grumpy if I oversleep. Isn't that strange?!? But, I have noticed that when I sleep too long, I'm a grump. And I will usually have a headache too.
Oversleep? How many hours? The best I can is 7.5 on a rare night and that’s not enough.

Having to admit I’m grumpy. Just played bridge with DH. Spouses shouldn’t play together.

Pecos, You need a project!

My days are pretty routine but I actually enjoy it that way.

My sister called me the other day to tell me that our 81-year-old brother and his wife are breaking ground on a new house.

My sister is horrified at the idea but I think it's great for them to have something to do and look forward to every day for the next year or so.

Last edited:
Today is just a blah day. It started out normal enough, coffee with my wife was wonderful as it always is, but as the day wore on things got increasingly boring. We have been cooped up for so long now and it is getting mighty old. There is virtually no place to go around here, I am talked out on the phone, it is too hot and humid to do very much outdoors, and my neighbors have become hopelessly boring.

Even the pets are bored: the two dogs keep looking at me expecting some kind of excitement, and the cat reacts to a neck rub with a look that says: "is that all you've got?"

It looks like the highlight of my day is going to be washing the sheets and making the bed.

Now I am detecting some wonderful aromas from the kitchen, so maybe it is not all lost.

So how exciting has your day been?
My day hasn't been any more exciting than yours Pecos. We had our morning coffee with half croissant, but not together, I drank mine while on the computer, and hubby had his in the other room while he read his daily newspaper. I took the dog out for his walk and passed some smiling faces and one really cute toddler, he went on about my dog, saying 'puppy'. His dad started petting him and coaxing the little one to do the same....he wasn't ready. When we went our separate ways, he was pointing 'puppy' again.

I came home and didn't do much after that, too hot for me even to hang out in the yard. Like you, the highlight for me will be supper. My husband is going to broil us some boneless/skinless chicken breasts and serve them on Brioche buns with mayo, tomato and onion.

Thanks for mentioning your sheets, you reminded me I had a basket of laundry in the closet I wanted to do today, just took it to the basement, in the washer now. ;) My life hasn't changed much since the covid, don't feel cooped up, get outdoors every day.....guess I'm okay with blah. :)

I keep a spreadsheet with daily entries for rating my days...and nights. o_O 0 is for really bad...10 is for excellent. For about the last 10 years my average was 6, because of IBS fluctuations. Within the past 3 months both have improved. The last few days they were 8 and 8.
I think 10 is a fantasy, and 0 is death. I try to live in the upper range, which means I am not so interested in feeling great, I try to minimize my suffering. I also think unnecessary stress is something I am starting to let go of. I think my days of extended excitement are on the wane. Too much excitement makes me Blah. :)

There are blah days, which at least are better than bad days. My wife has been in a lot of pain due to issues with her knee and arthritis, so I've become a caregiver. She's going to need knee replacement surgery, so this is not just a short term issue. She has a lot of bad days. I just wish doctors could give her something to kill the pain. She has an ice machine and ice packs, but why isn't there something that can just kill the pain in her knee? Like some kind of local pain killer?

There are blah days, which at least are better than bad days. My wife has been in a lot of pain due to issues with her knee and arthritis, so I've become a caregiver. She's going to need knee replacement surgery, so this is not just a short term issue. She has a lot of bad days. I just wish doctors could give her something to kill the pain. She has an ice machine and ice packs, but why isn't there something that can just kill the pain in her knee? Like some kind of local pain killer?
Cortisone injection perhaps ?

My sympathies to your wife, Irwin. Cortisone shots are the usual "remedy" for this, and their benefit is temporary, but better than nothing. With me, it's a shoulder. The doctors uniformly say I should not even think about surgery on a shoulder, it's a bad kind to have, and takes forever to recover from. At least, knee surgery seems to work for most people who get knee replacements. Lots of people who live here have had knee or hip replacements.

I feel for you both,I'm in the same boat...Injured right knee,been through a week of Me drop,followed by a cortisone shot,countless tubes of BioFreeze and icy hot.
MRI shows meniscus small tears and cartilage issues,surgeon says knee replacement because of bad arthritis and just like your wife I can't get any kind of pain meds from either of them except for an NSAID that's the same as Voltaren and doesn't do a thing!
Wishing you both good luck.

Back