Sounds. What are your favorites? Most annoying?

gennie

I live in a small, very quiet community. Very little noise except those of nature, birds mostly, mourning dove and mocking bird. There is occasional dim traffic noise and almost none of that at night. I love to hear the very faint sound of the train whistle if I happen to be awake around 3 AM when the southbound Amtrak goes by.

Most annoying - the big lawn mower used by maintenance.

Yeah, I hate boom box cars. I like the sound of silence, in recording studios. When you're in an isolation booth, mic ready, headphones hanging on the wall, before you do your vocals, the silence is amazing. Some find it unnerving. Coming from Chicago, I never experienced total silence until I got into a recording studio. Later, when I started solo camping in very isolated areas, I "heard" it, again. Amazing, either by man, or by Nature.

Love: most nature sounds, birds early in morning, orchestra tuning up, smooth jazz, ocean waves splashing against rocks, etc. In the country I like drifting off to sleep as I hear a train in the distance.

Hate: boom box music from cars, screaming unruly kids, people yelling/arguing, dogs barking, lawn mowers/leaf blowers (although I know they gotta do the work), aggressive horn honkers, broken car alarms :mad:

Last edited:
I live in a small, very quiet community. Very little noise except those of nature, birds mostly, mourning dove and mocking bird. There is occasional dim traffic noise and almost none of that at night. I love to hear the very faint sound of the train whistle if I happen to be awake around 3 AM when the southbound Amtrak goes by.

Most annoying - the big lawn mower used by maintenance.
The lawn maintenance blowers that they use to clean up the lawns, what really annoys me is they do it at 7:30 in the morning very rude.

My favourite sound is children laughing

Most annoying - Scaffolding either being put up or taken down, especially at 8am on a Sunday morning, knowing it will go on for hours ! :rolleyes:

Kids speeding up and down the street on dirt bikes. Neighbors feuding. Dump truck tailgates banging. Screeching tires in the middle of the night.
Birds singing, coffee percolating, cats purring, cool jazz playing, silence.

Sounds. What are your favorites?

The songs of the prairie wolves, in the deep woods, during a mist filled dusk
Their soprano refrain says it better than any wordsmith

The absolute stillness in the presence of a wooded winter's full moon

Most annoying?

fingernails on a chalkboard

Fran Drescher's voice

a tossup 'tween the two

I jump outta my skin when a solicitor knocks on the door....put a sign up 'no solicitors', we'll see if that works....
luv the faint sound of the train moving and its whistle in the distance; about twice a day :)
also the sound of the wind at any time...

Lately the telephone annoys me..a solicitor called today after I had used the Do Not Call Registry. I yelled at him "Don't call this *($@$% phone number ever again! I guess it was the straw...

Pleasant noises for me are my birds, sounds of nature, wind chimes, trains in the distance.

Many years ago lived near a rail road yard where they would but trains together....Not my happiest of memories.
The absolutely best memory is the sound of the wind chimes, ....when they blown off the shed and on the ground. AHhhhh, that sweet memory still makes me smile.
I like wind chimes and have four groups of different sizes hanging back in our wooded backyard. All of them are tuned to C, and it sounds like an orchestra when a breeze comes up.
My other favorite sounds would include distant trains, music, children having a good time, and my wife laughing.

My favorite sounds have changed since I no longer work full time. When I worked, I enjoyed peace & quiet.

Now mostly retired, I enjoy children having fun, soft music and sounds of nature.

I also enjoy smooth jazz as does applecruncher. Dave Osborne, Kenny G, Grover Washington and Miles Davis are my favs.

My wife and I went to a Miles Davis concert back in the early 80’s. He had the audience in his back pocket all night. Miles also came back out and did an encore much to the audience’s delight. “Bye, Bye Blackbird” and “Freddie Freeloader” were great songs.

I love listening to nature when its quiet as I'm taking my early morning walks.The birds are beginning to chirp,squirrels racing up/down the trees looking for food
I love listening to jazz and classical music especially around the holidays
I can't stand cars/trucks/school buses with squeaky brakes
the annoying leaf blower
car alarm that won't shut off
I'm a life long dog lover,don't want to hurt anybody's feelings,sorry small dogs who constantly 'yap', the owners need a way to keep their dog quiet
screaming kids in dept or grocery store,parents are ignoring them by looking at their phones

I love the sound of storms, especially storms on the ocean (when I am on shore).
I like the sound of the light rail horn as it comes into the station near my house - places to go and things to do.

I don't like wind bells, or boombox cars.

I like all sounds - the louder, the better. I have severe tinnitus & the quieter it is, the louder the tinnitus is. I especially like noisy kids screeching & giggling. Besides, I don't hear anything as loud as it really is - I was born with 50% hearing. And (unlike wine & cheese) it doesn't improve with age. :)

Tuneless whistling... cannot stand it !!

rap Music as above...

Toddlers screeching.... not just crying..temper tantrum screeching, goes right through me!!

My favourite sounds aside from music, is the excited squeals of my grandfurkids when they see me ...and the sound of the birds in my garden in the mornings.

I also love the sound of the train whistles as they go travelling fast through the countryside ...and the sound of the ocean lapping on the beach...

Back