Sprayed by a skunk

I thought I had posted my experience somewhere here but I will tell it again.....We lived on a small ranch in montana. Mom wanted a skunk for a pet, some people had them back then. So out us boys went looking for a small skunk to take to the vet and have descented. I thought why waste the time waiting until they grow up, lets catch a big one. So I did. Had it in a box on top of the station wagon ready to go to the vets. I was teasing it, jump up yell boo and jump down. Do it again. Jump up and yell boo and jump down. Do it again, only this time I miss timed it and the skunk hit me square in the face. That was the most awfull tasting stuff I have ever had. Mom made me strip down in the yard and scrub down with tomato juice, burn my clothes and I lived in the barn for two weeks while the smell dissapated.
I’m on the skunks side. 😬🥴

My dog was sprayed and came in the house rubbing his face. Yes it was very strong but I gave the dog a bath and the smell dissipated by morning. I never smelled strong skunk odor before and thought it smelled similar to garlic.

My dog was sprayed and came in the house rubbing his face. Yes it was very strong but I gave the dog a bath and the smell dissipated by morning. I never smelled strong skunk odor before and thought it smelled similar to garlic.
Ah, poor pup.

My daughters fiancé killed a skunk near their chicken pens that was caught in a trap. He was lucky I guess not to get any of it on him, but his property smelled for many days. A bad thing to deal with for sure.

Had a cat that got a direct hit to the face once. It almost killed him because even though you can pretty much mute the smell on it's body, that stink in his nasal passages prevented him from eating or drinking for almost 4 days. Another day or 2 and he wouldn't have made it.

I think any person running across a skunk normally would be cautious as not to make any threatening movements toward the skunk. Skunks only spray as a last resort. I once read somewhere that it is actually quite painful for them to 'spray' so they are not keen on doing it unless they feel very threatened.

I was hunting Pheasant in a maze field in Kansas with a friend and his bird dog, when the dog stopped and pointed. We got close and then flushed out a SKUNK that sprayed the dog directly and we got smelled on too. LOL

Y'know, some people are not very nice.
On numerous occasions I've been accused of being a skunk when I've gotten out of some people's chairs.
😊

And....

Some of our well traveled members may have visited caves belonging to my ancestors.
On the walls are pictures showing female inhabitants with pomegranates pushed up their nostrils, for what purpose I don't know.
The pictures also show purple and green hazy clouds emminating from the cave entrances. ;)
☺️

Yes. Twice. I grew up on a farm. We had chickens and occasionally a skunk would raid the henhouse at night leaving several dead chickens. My dad encouraged me to kill any skunk I found. I shot one and for some reason decided to bring my trophy home to show off (I was twelve). I threw it over the fence and when it hit the ground, an explosive squirt of yellow hit me in the face. Boy does that stuff burn the eyes! It also stinks!

As a teen, I had my own car and was joyriding one evening with my buddies on rural roads. I accidentally hit a skunk but it was only badly injured. I decided to dispatch it with a stomp to the head. Apparently, I miscalculated and stomped his abdomen and got squirted again! The guys insisted I ride on the fender of my own car as each was dropped off at his home. I wasn't very popular at school for a while.
I hope you dispatched the poor skunk.

Poor little skunks. I've seen a couple (could have been the same one) behind my work place when I feed the feral cats. They just scamper off. There are skunks, possum and racoons in the gulch.

Reviving again. Who here has a skunk story?
Kind of, I have never been sprayed but have had a couple of dogs...

My uncle got sprayed once. He found a skunk swimming in his pool that could not get out. Being a bit soft hearted (maybe soft headed too) he put a board into the pool for the skunk to climb out. The minute the skunk got on the plank it spun around and sprayed Uncle James. At that point my uncle's good will evaporated and he dropped the board and let the skunk drown... It took a lot of vodka to get my uncle clean and happy, some even was used to help with the wash...

I was once driving on a back road in Idaho, at night in the dark. I came over a small rise and saw at least 30 skunks in the road right ahead of me. I was going too fast to stop so I aimed for the fewest skunks possible and accelerated. I think I hit maybe half a dozen of them... heard them rolling against my floor boards as I passed over. Got no odor on my car, but I pity the guy behind...

Last edited:

Back