Staying sexy

Thank you my friend!

While there is some temptation for me to deny it, I have accepted the simple fact is that this is my new reality. I have to "roll with it" if I am to survive. My cancer was found fairly early and everyone that I have talked to who went through this treatment went on to live another 10 to 20 years. Many of them return to actually being sexually active. My Doctor advises that I am doing well and I do know that I am on the "downhill slide" with this thing. I am largely beyond the rough parts and am simply dealing with hot flashes, fatigue and some muscle loss. I will be heading back to the gym for more vigorous workouts in about a year.

There is still a lot of beauty and joy in this world and I intend to enjoy it. "Crying into my beer" is not for me. I suspect that some of the other men (or husbands of women on this forum) may experience what I am going through and maybe what I say here today will help them "keep their chins up."

My wife has simply been wonderful through this struggle.

Hello Pecos,
I got my prostate cancer at my 57, then surgery, radiation, long term anti-androgen therapy. Now I am on Zytiga but have multiple bone metastases. However, I fight my cancer as I can. Breathing and regular self-resistance exercises help me very much to keep my mental and physical condition at good level. I've attached this picture not for bragging, just to show we can fight, fight, and fight! Here I am almost 70.

Last edited:
Hello Pecos,
I got my prostate cancer in my 57, then surgery, radiation, long term anti-androgen therapy. Now I am on Zytiga but have multiple bone metastases. However, I fight my cancer as I can. Breathing and regular self-resistance exercises help me very much to keep my mental and physical condition at good level. I've attached this picture not for bragging, just to show we can fight, fight, and fight! Here I am almost 70.

View attachment 117103
Bob, it is great to read how you dealt with this and are coming out on top.
And you are looking mighty fit there my friend!

I’ve got a friend that I’ve known since high school who got prostate cancer in his mid twenties. He went through chemo therapy, radiation and had one testicle removed. He’s 1 1/2 years older than me and is doing just fine today over 40 years later.
Take care of yourself Pescos.
Cancer CAN be beaten.
Thanks for the supportive post and the insight as to what your friend went through. It is great that they caught it early as it is a killer if left untreated. Young people are generally inclined to fart something like this off. Many, many kudos to his Doctors.
It would be extremely rough to go through this at such an early age when no one expects it to surface. It is another matter when you are in your mid to late 70's like me. Hats off to your friend, and I'll bet that he went on and has lead a full and happy life.
And, with forum friends like you, I know where to go if I have a "down" day.
\

Thanks for the supportive post and the insight as to what your friend went through. It is great that they caught it early as it is a killer if left untreated. Young people are generally inclined to fart something like this off. Many, many kudos to his Doctors.
It would be extremely rough to go through this at such an early age when no one expects it to surface. It is another matter when you are in your mid to late 70's like me. Hats off to your friend, and I'll bet that he went on and has lead a full and happy life.
\
Yes you are absolutely right. It would be much harder going through cancer when older but he’s the only person I know who went through this and has been a dear friend of mine for decades. The only older person I know who has gone through cancer and beat it, is my mother-in-law. She had breast cancer at about 65 years of age. She beat it and has been cancer free since. She did get her breasts removed though.

It was difficult going through this at such an early age. He was scared. I remember visiting him at St. Margaret’s Hospital while he was going through chemotherapy and he was so happy that I’d bussed all the way there to sit with him. He was a platonic friend but I know he was a bit self conscious . He has had a very happy cancer free life since then.

Last edited:
Hello Pecos,
I got my prostate cancer at my 57, then surgery, radiation, long term anti-androgen therapy. Now I am on Zytiga but have multiple bone metastases. However, I fight my cancer as I can. Breathing and regular self-resistance exercises help me very much to keep my mental and physical condition at good level. I've attached this picture not for bragging, just to show we can fight, fight, and fight! Here I am almost 70.

View attachment 117103
ah, WOW!

\
Pecos, my thoughts are with you and @Bob1950. Sending you both positive thoughts of healing.

My stepdad had prostate cancer when he was 85 and due to his age, his urologist deferred surgery and radiation. He just turned 90 last month and still staying alive.

Pecos, my thoughts are with you and @Bob1950. Sending you both positive thoughts of healing.

My stepdad had prostate cancer when he was 85 and due to his age, his urologist deferred surgery and radiation. He just turned 90 last month and still staying alive.
Good for him, and getting to 90 under any circumstances is cause for celebration.

I don't know much about the "protocol" that doctors use when they decide how, or if, to treat prostrate cancer. Age is a big factor along with general health and the particular variant of they cancer. When they did my biopsy (34 samples ouch) they determined that I had one of the very aggressive variants and they moved forward with the treatment very quickly. That particular discussion with the doctor was a bit distressing for my wife and I to say the least. The variant I had is particularly bad about spreading to the rest of the body. From his description of his treatment, I suspect that Bob1950 had an aggressive form as well. I felt lucky that I did not have to have chemo or surgery.

Your lucky step dad was playing a better "slot machine" than I was LOL.

After watching the Game of Thrones with all its male and female nudities, I've come to realize appreciation of human body depends on one's taste. It isn't a one form is beautiful for all. Since I am not one of the generously endowed, gravity has very little effect with my girls. Men will always be fascinated with women's boobs, it's coded in their DNA.

I have come to the conclusion that the concept of sexy is all in the mind.

Some men are fascinated with boobs, some bottoms. I knew a guy once who loved ankles. And yes, preference seems to be encoded. For me, it wasn't a guy's body what was all important and sexy. It was his eyes. Not the color but who I could see shining through. I've never liked bulky muscles on a guy. It looks deformed to me. I found the softness of the soul sexy.

After watching the Game of Thrones with all its male and female nudities, I've come to realize appreciation of human body depends on one's taste. It isn't a one form is beautiful for all. Since I am not one of the generously endowed, gravity has very little effect with my girls. Men will always be fascinated with women's boobs, it's coded in their DNA.

I have come to the conclusion that the concept of sexy is all in the mind.

From now on I am not fat, I am simply generously endowed-in all the wrong places, 😂 and short for my weight 😁. As far as staying sexy, whatever sexy means, I’d rather not.

Back