Streaming TV shows

Sunny

SF VIP
Do you watch any of the streaming channels, such as Netflix, Prime, and Hulu? I've found that they change my TV watching habits immensely. There's no such thing as "what's on," everything on that channel is "on" all the time. You can binge watch an entire series, watch one episode every night, repeat an episode if you like, fast forward, etc.

And practically every movie ever made is available on those channels, sometimes free, and sometimes for $3.99. I think this is a real sanity-saver in these days of self-quarantining.

If you do watch one or more of the streaming channels, got any good shows to recommend?

I never watched 'The Americans' when it was on FX, but I'm watching it now on Amazon Prime and I love it. I'm in the middle of Season 2 and I think there are 6 Seasons. In my current state of mind, it's hard to remember what happened when a show is only on once a week. I like streaming so much better.

Yes, I watch all through a Roku box and there are many more channels, some free, and many more if I'm willing to watch a few ads. I cut cable last year.

Limited broadcasting is available from the local PBS station. With a small donation, I can access full PBS programming. I especially enjoyed all the Ken Burns Specials.

Totally agree with you @Lewkat. Just started making use of these free apps even tho I'm not a movie watcher....but most of my tv shows are gone for the summer and not returning in the fall....seriously considering cancelling cable by the winter.....watched The Silent on Prime Video last nite.....I have access to about 30 free apps on my remote that came with the tv.....

Two of these streaming apps required I sign in.....that was an inconvenience having to type my info from the remote control using the
alphabets on the screen, ugh....then to find most of the movies and tv shows were rentals or to buy....

Which apps are totally free?

I cut the cable years ago. Only use Roku plus Amazon Prime.
Would love to cut the cable, but hub won't do it...lol. We are "flippers" and watch a lot of channels so it might not be as easy for us anyway. Have been watching the "Bosch"series on Amazon Prime. Love Michael Connelly's books.

I just started a new one (for me) on Netflix, a detective comedy called Vexed. So far, I like it.

I liked Vexed too. Maggie Smith's son Toby Stephens is the male lead, and he plays such a great jackass.

AcornTV is my favorite for streaming. I'm a big fan of mysteries and even though Acorn has mostly British shows, they also have series from all over the world. Great Britain will always be #1 for mysteries, but I also love shows like "Brokenwood" from New Zealand and "Murdoch Mysteries" from Canada.

Lately, I've been watching old Johnny Carson Tonight Show episodes on free streaming channel Tubi right before bed. Even though I only watch a few minutes a night, it's great to see this show again. Takes me back to being a young thing. I like that the comedy is light and funny rather than just plain mean. It's a great way to end the day.

Now I'm watching an Amazon Prime Original called Patriot. It can be dark at times but there are some funny parts too. I'm enjoying it.

I don't have the patience to watch a whole movie or a series.

Any program that I watch like Jeopardy, I record it and watch it when I'm too tired to do anything.

I spend a lot of time on t.v. on forums and You tube documentaries and do it yourself projects.

I think it's different when you are alone. When you have someone to watch with, it becomes more interesting because you can comment on it.

On my cell phone I have an app called Tubi. They stream movies. That's for the doctor's waiting room.

I liked Vexed too. Maggie Smith's son Toby Stephens is the male lead, and he plays such a great jackass.

AcornTV is my favorite for streaming. I'm a big fan of mysteries and even though Acorn has mostly British shows, they also have series from all over the world. Great Britain will always be #1 for mysteries, but I also love shows like "Brokenwood" from New Zealand and "Murdoch Mysteries" from Canada.

Lately, I've been watching old Johnny Carson Tonight Show episodes on free streaming channel Tubi right before bed. Even though I only watch a few minutes a night, it's great to see this show again. Takes me back to being a young thing. I like that the comedy is light and funny rather than just plain mean. It's a great way to end the day.

I didn't know Toby Stephens is Maggie Smith's son. He is very funny in this series; what a jerk! The show keeps a good balance between horrifying murders and goofy humor. I love the banter between him and his female partner.

I used to belong to Acorn, but let it go, as there are just so many hours in the day, and I get Netflix, Prime and HBO, which is enough to be paying for. But when I did get Acorn, there were some delightful British series that I loved. Two of them were Last Tango in Halifax, and The Detectorists. Not sure they were on Acorn, but I think so. I think they are both available now on Netflix or Prime, and are both excellent.

. . .
But when I did get Acorn, there were some delightful British series that I loved. Two of them were Last Tango in Halifax, and The Detectorists. Not sure they were on Acorn, but I think so. I think they are both available now on Netflix or Prime, and are both excellent.

The Detectorists is a favorite of mine too. From the writing to the acting, it was just so well done. The show is still on Acorn, but a quick search at justwatch.com shows it's also on the free Roku channel as well as Hoopla.

For anyone who doesn't know about Hoopla, it allows free streaming of four shows per month through your participating library. I'm using it now for a re-watch of the early "Call the Midwife" seasons.

I also liked Last Tango in Halifax and caught it on PBS a few years back. Now I see they have made a new season of shows (season 5.) From what I can find, the anticipated PBS beginning air date is September 20.

Do you watch any of the streaming channels, such as Netflix, Prime, and Hulu? I've found that they change my TV watching habits immensely. There's no such thing as "what's on," everything on that channel is "on" all the time. You can binge watch an entire series, watch one episode every night, repeat an episode if you like, fast forward, etc.

And practically every movie ever made is available on those channels, sometimes free, and sometimes for $3.99. I think this is a real sanity-saver in these days of self-quarantining.

If you do watch one or more of the streaming channels, got any good shows to recommend?
I paid 2.19 for The Hunt on prime. It was really good, but bloody. Depends on what you like.

Glad to hear that Last Tango will be showing a fifth season soon. I loved that show, and thought the acting was fantastic.

Mindhunter is good, on Netflix. Just started watching that for the second time.

I ditched my $215. monthly cable bill and now I use YouTube TV. I get 70 regular channels, which includes my local channels and everything else I used to watch, even PBS. I can also watch shows and movies from their library, and it costs something like $65. a month, which is quite a saving.

I occasionally stream movies from Amazon Prime, but not that often because my YouTube TV has everything I want to watch.

I have all three plus Philo for my HGTV programming. Philo also has 61 "live" channels but I never watch any of them. I watch my beachfront and island home buying shows on demand. I wasn't a fan of Prime but got it as a freebie when I upgraded my MetroPCS cell phone plan. They have some very interesting UFO documentaries and it seems their free with Prime movie choices are getting a little better. I was able to rewatch all seasons of Grimm on Prime. I started watching Homecoming, also recommended by a friend and it kept my interest until the second season when the foul words just got to be too, too much. I have Hulu Plus because I avoid commercial laden programming as much as possible. Of course one of the Netflix biggies is Stranger Things.

You are absolutely right about streaming changing T.V. viewing habits. Sometimes I feel like a "kid in the candy store" and just don't know what to watch next. A friend told me about Upload, a Prime original and I liked it. I told a friend who didn't think she could get into it and she wound up binge watching all the episodes in 2 days. Between all the platforms, I probably have 100 shows in my watchlists, each with several episodes and seasons to get through. :love:

I stream through Xfinity's "On Demand" function, as well as through Amazon Prime. I saw all of the "Game of Thrones" series this way. Streaming is great as it allows you to watch just an hour of something, or binge out on it for an entire evening...

Back