Stress due to poor customer service

I have recently been prescribed a C-Pap machine. At first it was heavenly; it fit comfortably and I was getting quality sleep for the first time in years. Two nights ago I started having a problem with the machine. The ramp time quit working, meaning that the air coming through the mask was too much to handle when starting therapy for the night. Last night, for the first time in about two months,I had to sleep without it. I had to spend half the day calling people, trying to get someone to tell me what to do. The rep with whom I spoke, had a serious attitude problem. I wish I could be assigned to someone else! When you've spent a lousy night, and wake up fogged, in pain, and needing the problem addressed, it is hard to deal with attitude. She spoke to me like I was some dumb kid who doesn't know what I am talking about.

My nerves are frazzled and still nothing has been done. Because of the holiday, I can't bring the machine into the rep's office until Friday. The weird thing is that the machine is showing numbers that imply that it is working properly but it isn't. On top of that, my land line telephone is malfunctioning. I had to spend time on the phone with those reps, and after two incompetent ones, I got someone who knew their job. A repair person is coming out to check the modem (our phone service is through our internet provider) but not until Saturday. Not looking for advice, just needed to vent. Funny how it is so easy to be disrespectful to an elder.

Here's some advice anyway:
Tell your rep you want to speak to her supervisor. Tell the supervisor what you told us. Ask for another rep. Wait, don't Ask---TELL her you want another rep.

Were you prescribed this machine by a pulmonologist, or did you buy it on your own? If prescribed, tell your doctor about the machine and your problem.

Tell your rep you want to speak to her supervisor. Tell the supervisor what you told us. Ask for another rep. Wait, don't Ask---TELL her you want another rep.

Were you prescribed this machine by a pulmonologist, or did you buy it on your own? If prescribed, tell your doctor about the machine and your problem.

Was typing basically the same thing as you were hitting the post button. Excellent advice, lol.

Thanks, Pepper and Annie. The rep works in this tiny little office; I don't know if her supervisor is there with her. But I will definitely be asking for somebody else. The doctor that I saw suggested the company that I got the machine from. They said that I could pick my own company, but I didn't know the first thing about C-Pap machines, so I went along with their suggestion. I will have to do some research. I think that at the very least, they should have a 24 hour hotline for if something goes wrong!

That's what I was going to say, too.

Sorry, if it had been a Phillips, I could likely step you through the turn on/off, adjustments, etc. On my 5th one at the moment (BiPAP) and while the knobs and layout are different, the idea is similar.
Thanks anyway! This model is very simple; it has a choice of auto ramp, so that it can "sense" when I am dozing off, or simply can be set to ramp at 45 minutes. The trouble is that it is already ramped when I first turn it on, and that it too intense to start out with. I have tried resetting, unplugging and plugging it back in. It might be just broken. I am seething; I have multiple health issues and this being without my breathing machine is already making things worse.:confused:

I have recently been prescribed a C-Pap machine. At first it was heavenly; it fit comfortably and I was getting quality sleep for the first time in years. Two nights ago I started having a problem with the machine. The ramp time quit working, meaning that the air coming through the mask was too much to handle when starting therapy for the night. Last night, for the first time in about two months,I had to sleep without it. I had to spend half the day calling people, trying to get someone to tell me what to do. The rep with whom I spoke, had a serious attitude problem. I wish I could be assigned to someone else! When you've spent a lousy night, and wake up fogged, in pain, and needing the problem addressed, it is hard to deal with attitude. She spoke to me like I was some dumb kid who doesn't know what I am talking about.

My nerves are frazzled and still nothing has been done. Because of the holiday, I can't bring the machine into the rep's office until Friday. The weird thing is that the machine is showing numbers that imply that it is working properly but it isn't. On top of that, my land line telephone is malfunctioning. I had to spend time on the phone with those reps, and after two incompetent ones, I got someone who knew their job. A repair person is coming out to check the modem (our phone service is through our internet provider) but not until Saturday. Not looking for advice, just needed to vent. Funny how it is so easy to be disrespectful to an elder.
i can empathize with you. i get very frustrated with 'Customer Service' people who are unhelpful.
i was having a lot trouble with static on my land line, very basic service thru my ISP, but i had brought my own landline phone from Wyoming when we moved and it was pretty old. When i replaced it the problem cleared up.

As to the CPAP, who is your provider? Is it at least partially covered by your insurance? If so make sure they know about the issues and inquire if there are other providers they would work with to serve you.
The CPAP i got thru Lincare (With help of Humana Insurance) has a feature that allows them to diagnose without my even bringing the machine into them in the city (an hour + drive each way) but in 25 months the only issue that has come up is that some CPAPs are being recalled, i've registered with Manufacturer but because i don't fit the profile of those having the most issues and haven't had any problems mine will be among last replaced. Once a year i take it in for a maintenance (and compliance--for Humana to partially cover i have to use it a minimum of 4 hours per 24 hours, i do 6-8hrs depending on time of year (less in summer, more in winter).

In case anyone wondering, the CPAP issue is mostly with ones that users clean with those fancy ionizing cleaners---apparently it degrades some of the rubber parts and debris was making it into the air delivery hose. i clean my air hose, masks and filters by hand on regular basis have never seen any debris. Plus it's regular CPAP not a 'ventilating' one, which is prescribed for those with more serious breathing issues. But the manufacture is recalling all of certain models just to be safe, prioritizing those at most risk.

Really got me tho that the first i got wind of it was emails and advertising posts from law firms who apparently want to lay the deaths, illnesses of CPAP users from a host of ailments that are common among seniors and those who would need a CPAP. First thing i did was search to make sure the recall was legit, then talked to provider. A week or two later i received a letter from the mfg about it.

In case anyone wondering, the CPAP issue is mostly with ones that users clean with those fancy ionizing cleaners
The degradation (VOCs) of the PE-PUR foam is exacerbated by ionizing, but the degradation exists without the ionization. The PE-PUR foam is/was being replaced by a silicone foam, after approval by the FDA. I have received mine. However, there is now some question about the release of VOCs from the Silicone foam. The FDA states they do not have enough data to ascertain if there is a risk to American consumers.

I had to spend half the day calling people, trying to get someone to tell me what to do. The rep with whom I spoke, had a serious attitude problem. I wish I could be assigned to someone else! When you've spent a lousy night, and wake up fogged, in pain, and needing the problem addressed, it is hard to deal with attitude. She spoke to me like I was some dumb kid who doesn't know what I am talking about.
... On top of that, my land line telephone is malfunctioning. I had to spend time on the phone with those reps, and after two incompetent ones, I got someone who knew their job.
I really sympathize with you on the bad reps. I had a problem with my social security online account and the 'help' person was just awful and made me feel rather powerless and helpless. It's really frustrating.
I had a job once where my cubicle was on the other side of the helpdesk reps for the company's customers to call, and one rep I'd overhear was knowledgeable and helpful, but there was another one that was horrid, she didn't know what she was talking about, and she'd get mad when the customer would disagree with her. She'd put them on hold just because she was exasperated by them, and one time she put one on hold and threw the phone across the room. Later when the company was being sold and we had to find other jobs she told me she had a job interview and the interviewer told her she wasn't the right personality type for helpdesk work. She was so offended and wanting sympathy so I was nice and sympathized but secretly I was applauding that company not hiring her.

I guess we can feel fragile when we haven't had a good nights sleep and are finding other things exacerbated. That customer rep shouldn't be in her line of work. She is going to be dealing with people who have health issues, especially seniors, for whom the breathing issue isn't the only problem. We don't need impatience and rudeness. I do plan on speaking to her supervisor. I will also inform her that I dread making a call to this woman because she invariably comes across as condescending and rude.

I managed to use the machine last night, but I still think they need to find out why it isn't performing correctly. I really want to shop around for another machine; I think I will take feywon's advise and go through my insurance company for recommendations.

i can empathize with you. i get very frustrated with 'Customer Service' people who are unhelpful.
i was having a lot trouble with static on my land line, very basic service thru my ISP, but i had brought my own landline phone from Wyoming when we moved and it was pretty old. When i replaced it the problem cleared up.
[/QUOTE]
I am having phone trouble too; when it rains it pours, right?:) I may have to replace my beloved landline phone. What happens is when someone calls me the call disconnects. Imagine how frustrating that is, when I have asked someone to phone and the phone then disconnects. It only happens with certain calls.

I am having phone trouble too; when it rains it pours, right?:) I may have to replace my beloved landline phone. What happens is when someone calls me the call disconnects. Imagine how frustrating that is, when I have asked someone to phone and the phone then disconnects. It only happens with certain calls.
[/QUOTE]
are you sure it's your phone that's broken and not your line ?

Back