Tennis..Djokovic wins case

If they do revoke his visa he could be excluded from Australia for three years. The implications of that would be very damaging to Australia's image overseas.
If they don’t, Australia’s image would be damaged, IMO (Canadian).

Novak Djokovic is in the men's singles draw as the top seed and has been drawn against countryman Miomir Kecmanovic in the first round.
Whether he is allowed to partake in that match, however, is still yet to be determined.
Like Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison did during a press conference in the last hour, Australian Open tournament director Craig Tiley has also refused to answer questions on Djokovic's status.

Australian Immigration Minister Alex Hawke said in a statement Friday he would use his personal power to revoke Novak Djokovic's visa for a second time.

Read the full statement:

"Today I exercised my power under section 133C(3) of the Migration Act to cancel the visa held by Mr Novak Djokovic on health and good order grounds, on the basis that it was in the public interest to do so.
"This decision followed orders by the Federal Circuit and Family Court on 10 January 2022, quashing a prior cancellation decision on procedural fairness grounds.
"In making this decision, I carefully considered information provided to me by the Department of Home Affairs, the Australian Border Force and Mr Djokovic.
"The Morrison Government is firmly committed to protecting Australia’s borders, particularly in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic.
"I thank the officers of the Department of Home Affairs and the Australian Border Force who work every day to serve Australia’s interests in increasingly challenging operational environments."

shame...the compulsory vaccination folk have won.

I know how long (and how much people charge to edit a photo ) that takes me to even come close to how good you did!! Well done!! Computers only perform "magic" only after humans spend hours and hours of study, and practice, practice practice. Then they upgrade the software, or hardware, and you have to learn that!!
Australian Immigration Minister Alex Hawke said in a statement Friday he would use his personal power to revoke Novak Djokovic's visa for a second time.

Read the full statement:
"shame...the compulsory vaccination folk have won." Just wondering who forced the other 90% of players to get double Vaxed,probably or maybe the compulsory vaccination folk,gee they have a lot answer for that mob!!

Anyway..he has appealed..
there is an apparently a late night hearing..
and it seems he could still play while the case continues...

Those tennis players who have respected the rules and abided by them should refuse to play against him!
He seems to think that he is above the rules, and in my opinion he is spitting in the eyes of the good Australian people.
I hope they bung him on a plane out of Oz.

Anyway..he has appealed..
there is an apparently a late night hearing..
and it seems he could still play while the case continues...
The latest result of his late night appeal

Novak Djokovic is set to be detained by Australian immigration officials again on Saturday as his lawyers urgently prepare to fight the cancellation of his visa for a second time. Djokovic has been ordered to attend an interview with immigration officials in Melbourne on Saturday morning, after which he will be formally detained, following a late-night court hearing on Friday.

The Federal Circuit Court hearing was urgently called after Immigration Minister Alex Hawke's decision to cancel Djokovic's visa on "health and good order grounds" was announced on Friday evening.

The minister had been considering the cancellation of the men's world number one's visa since Monday, after Djokovic won a court appeal against the cancellation of his visa by Border Force officials when he arrived in Melbourne unvaccinated.

Djokovic had been preparing to defend his title at the Australian Open next week and chase a record 21st grand slam, after winning an earlier court appeal against his visa's cancellation by Border Force officials on Monday. His legal team told the Federal Circuit Court that Mr Hawke's reasons for cancelling the visa were "patently irrational" and in "stark contrast" to the reasons that were given the first time his visa was cancelled.

Djokovic's lawyer Nick Wood said Mr Hawke had cancelled the visa on the grounds that allowing Djokovic to stay in Australia would excite "anti-vax sentiment" in the community.

Mr Wood said the minister's reasons were "patently irrational" and did not consider that deporting Mr Djokovic could also stir up anti-vax sentiment.

"The reasons of the minister stand in stark contrast to the reasons that the [Australian Border Force] delegate at the airport was saying," Mr Wood told the court. He said the minister had in fact found Mr Djokovic had complied with the law, was an individual of good standing, and that he only posed a "negligible" risk to the Australian community.

The matter has been transferred to the Federal Court, where another hearing is scheduled for 10:15am on Saturday.

Visa cancelled 'in the public interest'​

Earlier, Mr Hawke said he had cancelled the 34-year-old's visa this time on "health and good order grounds, on the basis that it was in the public interest to do so".

"In making this decision I carefully considered information provided to me by the Department of Home Affairs, the Australian Border Force and Mr Djokovic," he said. "The Morrison government is firmly committed to protecting Australia's borders, particularly in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic."

Immigration Minister Alex Hawke cancels Novak Djokovic's visa ahead of Australian Open - ABC News
Apparently, "in the public interest" is all that is required for the Minister for Immigration to use his discretion about who is allowed to enter Australia. It is an extraordinary power and from what I have heard, is also unquestionable. Djokovic may be in for a huge shock and great disappointment.

He is due now for a hearing in another (higher) federal court, having been given time to consult with his lawyers. Technically he is now in detention so no practising likely to be allowed. If that does happen then he is being given extraordinary leeway that is denied to other people in breach of their visas.

Edit - today was just court technicalities. His hearing is scheduled for tomorrow morning (Sunday).
The Australian Open starts on Monday.

Last edited:
Jan 15th
In other tennis news Andy Murray is in his first final since 2019 in Sydney and it is on British tv channel Freesports at 8am GMT and the BBC sports app/red button.

Novak Djokovic is set to be taken into immigration detention in the coming hours before his appeal against the second cancellation of his visa is heard in court at 9.30am tomorrow.
Djokovic's case was briefly heard in the Federal Court of Australia at 10.15am today, when more than 24,500 people tuned in to the online stream to witness the details of tomorrow's hearing be decided.
Djokovic's lawyer Paul Holdenson QC told the court Djokovic had no objection to all documentation involved in the hearing being placed on a public online portal.

He is now appearing before a tribunal of the Federal Court to plead his case.
I am not prepared to guess the result.

There is an article in the NY Times by a guest columnist from Australia that gives a detailed look at the Djokovic drama that examines why Australians are so riled up. In a nutshell it is because they are particularly angry about the way Covid, after having been contained with great difficulty and sacrifice from the public, is now running rampant. There is little tolerance for Djokovic's position.

Read here: Opinion | Australia Wants Novak Djokovic Out. Australians Are Thrilled. - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

There may be a paywall.

Novak is a talented tennis player, personally I've never liked him
The only reason he's at Australian Open he badly wants to win men's title again at all costs, so he can boast about surpassing both Roger Federer and Rafa Nadal with 22 Grand Slam Titles.
Typical behavior for a talented athlete. Other costs talented athletes are willing to risk include but are not limited to divorce ("He's always traveling!"), contractual issues, small fortunes, and broken bodies.

Jan 15th
In other tennis news Andy Murray is in his first final since 2019 in Sydney and it is on British tv channel Freesports at 8am GMT and the BBC sports app/red button.
He went down to Russian Aslan Karatsev who took out the Sydney Tennis Classic on Saturday night.

At the same time Australian Thanasi Kokkinakis won his maiden ATP title at the Adelaide International ahead of Australian Open. Like Murray he has had a battle with injury and illness to come back to match fitness. Both men are to be admired for their determination.

Djokovic's appeal is being heard by the full court of appeal (federal).
The Chief Justice open proceeding as follows (11 hours ago)
Djokovic is due to play his first match in the AO tomorrow night (it is Sunday evening now)

Starting off​

Chief Justice James Allsop is beginning by explaining why the decision was made to hold this hearing in front of the full court, not a single judge.

He quotes the minister's submission that this case goes "to the very preservation of life and health of many members of the community".

He also says there's a need to move quickly, because of the pending Australian Open.

The full court hearing means its decision cannot be appealed to the full court later on.

Just announced. Djokovic's appeal failed and he will be deported. I don't know whether he will be prevented from applying another visa for three years.

Novak Djokovic live updates: Tennis star loses his bid to stay in Australia - ABC News

As Chief Justice James Allsop outlined before announcing the decision, the court's job was simply to consider whether the decision made by Immigration Minister Alex Hawke was lawful, irrational or legally unreasonable.

The court found the grounds outlined by Novak Djokovic's lawyers failed to demonstrate that.

It means he'll be deported from Australia, will be unable to compete in the Australian Open and may face a ban on entry to Australia of up to three years. It means the decision made by the Immigration Minister Alex Hawke to cancel his visa stands.

Djokovic will be deported from Australia, will be unable to compete in the Australian Open and may face a ban on entry to Australia of up to three years.

Last edited:
Yep,as you say Just a tennis player,so why all the fuss...good riddance I say!

Back