Tennis..Djokovic wins case

as journalist Oliver Holt wrote ....

I respect Djokovic’s right not to be vaccinated but I don’t respect him. Not any more. When I look at Djokovic, I don’t see the best men’s tennis player in the world. I see a dangerous fool.

I know too many bereaved sons and daughters dotted among hundreds of thousands of grieving families in this country who have lost loved ones, some of them because of the actions of people like him, who have an extremely limited grasp of the concept of a wider responsibility to a community.

This is a man, a phenomenal tennis player admired and adored by millions of fans across the world, who has form in this area. And we’re not talking about the kind of form that might win him the Australian Open this month. It is the kind of form that makes him a repeat offender, a man who organised a super-spreader tennis event, the Adria tour, in June 2020.

Djokovic does not actively promote anti-vax views but this is a player who tested positive for Covid a second time last month and still turned up for a photo-shoot the next day and posed for pictures without a mask. This is a man who blamed his agent for concealing the number of countries he had visited in the build-up to his arrival in Melbourne last week. This is a man who thinks rules are for the little people.

finally this 'soap opera' is over. Novack should be banned from this tournament for 3 yrs for his actions. I would hope the other Grand Slam tournament directors/officals{French Open,Wimbledon,U.S. Open} really look into his documents to make sure he doesn't pull another 'stunt' when he says he's going to play in these tournaments

Obviously the guys accomplishments on the tennis court over the years rank him as one of the best players ever to play the game along with Nadal & Federer & Sampras. This stunt though will always leave a mark on all of that leaving his legacy a bit tarnished.
Yes, IMO it was a stunt. He tried to game the system and lost. So did Tennis Australia because it appears they were acting as enablers.

I would like to point out that at this time Australia is hosting an Ashes Test competition with the English cricketers and the Australian PGA golf tournament. None of these athletes has fallen foul with Immigration because their visas have all been in order. Djokovic's was not in order and he was pulled up at the border. Unhappily, he arrived in the middle of the night and, as the first appeal judge rules, he was not given sufficient time to provide evidence to support his visa. As time ensued it turned out that his visa application was not entirely truthful.

As if our government doesn't have enough on its plate right now.'

I'm wondering in which court system he plans to present his suit.
Just because you don't like the way you have been treated does not mean that the treatment was illegal.

Perhaps he thinks that Australia has a Bill of Rights.
We don't.

Rights are legislated, not written into the Constitution.
He would have to show that the government was acting illegally in some way.

I wish him luck with that quest.

This narcissist is mainly a very wealthy business.

In June 2021, the 34-year-old placed 46th on Forbes' list of the 100 highest-paid athletes in the world, the business magazine calculating his earnings over the previous 12 months at $34.5m. This figure broke down as $4.5m in on-court earnings and $30m from endorsements.

( Hal 2022 )

This narcissist is mainly a very wealthy business.

In June 2021, the 34-year-old placed 46th on Forbes' list of the 100 highest-paid athletes in the world, the business magazine calculating his earnings over the previous 12 months at $34.5m. This figure broke down as $4.5m in on-court earnings and $30m from endorsements.

( Hal 2022 )
It is very sad but true.

The thing is this is not true of all athletes or tennis players. I was watching the Australian Open late last evening and happened to catch the end of the Sam Stosur match in which she lost. This was to be her last ever singles match as she was retiring from singles play. She is an Australian player who is 37 years old and looked up to by all of the Australian players and many of the other players on the tour. This player in her entire career and she was a Grand Slam Championship was nothing but humble throughout her career. Sure she didn't make the earnings like Djokovic , but still she was once a top player. They are not all like that.

It is very sad but true.

The thing is this is not true of all athletes or tennis players. I was watching the Australian Open late last evening and happened to catch the end of the Sam Stosur match in which she lost. This was to be her last ever singles match as she was retiring from singles play. She is an Australian player who is 37 years old and looked up to by all of the Australian players and many of the other players on the tour. This player in her entire career and she was a Grand Slam Championship was nothing but humble throughout her career. Sure she didn't make the earnings like Djokovic , but still she was once a top player. They are not all like that.
I remember Bjorn Borg who was as humble and a good sports person as there is. Plus being one of the all time greats. I can think of many more like him. I especially like Naomi Osaka.

World Tennis Champion Naomi Osaka Is A Role Model For Us All

I remember Bjorn Borg who was as humble and a good sports person as there is. Plus being one of the all time greats. I can think of many more like him. I especially like Naomi Osaka.

World Tennis Champion Naomi Osaka Is A Role Model For Us All
Yes , I remember Borg when I was a kid and he was the total opposite of McEnroe. Naomi Osaka is very humble. I remember watching her post match conference when she said she needed to take a mental break. I really felt for her.

I once heard an in-depth interview with an agent who represented actors as well as professional athletes. He said adult actors were generally the easiest to deal with. Child stars and professional athletes were the hardest, by far. Most of the child stars/athletes showed high levels of talent from very early on. Because of that they'd been coddled by families and schools, had absences excused, poor grades overlooked, tantrums and bullying tolerated, and numerous exceptions granted. Their level of expectation and "Don't you know who I am?" arrogance made them very difficult to work with.

At the other end of the spectrum were actors who hadn't started out as models or child stars. Everyday people with a gift for acting. Their ascension to popularity usually came slowly and during adulthood so they weren't complete jerks about it.

Djokovic's belief that his on-court prowess was enough to excuse his off-court shenanigans was a prime example. Good for the Aussies!

I once heard an in-depth interview with an agent who represented actors as well as professional athletes. He said adult actors were generally the easiest to deal with. Child stars and professional athletes were the hardest, by far. Most of the child stars/athletes showed high levels of talent from very early on. Because of that they'd been coddled by families and schools, had absences excused, poor grades overlooked, tantrums and bullying tolerated, and numerous exceptions granted. Their level of expectation and "Don't you know who I am?" arrogance made them very difficult to work with.

At the other end of the spectrum were actors who hadn't started out as models or child stars. Everyday people with a gift for acting. Their ascension to popularity usually came slowly and during adulthood so they weren't complete jerks about it.

Djokovic's belief that his on-court prowess was enough to excuse his off-court shenanigans was a prime example. Good for the Aussies!
Eric Bana is one of those mature and very likeable actors. I have a warm spot in my heart for him.
He has a disabled brother and when he was being praised for looking after him his response was "You are p*ss weak if you don't look after your own". This should be everyone's response.

Back