The Fall surge is here.....

PopsnTuff

Public health experts are warning Americans of a possible second wave of new coronavirus infections in the fall and winter, but they're saying the coming surge could look different than wave of infections that occurred when the epidemic first hit.
Public health experts warn of a second wave of Covid-19
As students return to school and temperatures drop, Americans will spend less time outside—where the risk of transmitting the new coronavirus is lower—and more time inside, where the risk of transmitting the pathogen is higher. As a result, public health experts expect the United States could see another wave of new coronavirus cases during the fall and winter.....read on.....(also posted in the NY Times)

https://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing/2020/09/09/fall-coronavirus

(We all knew this was coming and its already confirmed :( )

Last edited:
its never off the tv atm --- prime minister is having a rethink on another lockdown /come curfew/
the rules are all over the place here ' letting people in a pub' but closed at 10'oclock =it dont make sense
at all -no logic if people have entered the place what is the point ??

school's have just gone back in UK. even now considering -that too- .....
2 big stores in uk-have been cleared of frozen produce by shoppers' thinking its panic time yet again !
lock down could be a very big worry to LONDON firms and stores -people are being laid off -coz companies are not buying etc,

life has to go on' or economy collapses....but rules are made to be safe ' but some people think not to abide by them
which if that happens we will not beat this virus .. let hope by end of year we say goodbye to it --fingers crossed .

By the end of which year, toffee? This disaster will not be over by the end of 2020, that's for sure. I wish that were true!

I think as people are getting (understandably) more and more fed up with quarantines and restrictions, and as more schools and pubs open up, there will be a tremendous surge. This will not be over until we manage to get an effective vaccine widely distributed.

For those of us that live alone, the fall and winter weather keeping us indoors may be a benefit that actually limits our exposure to the virus.

All we can do is keep following the TNT precautions of limiting our exposure, wearing masks, social distancing, washing our hands, using hand sanitizer, etc...

Even when a vaccine is available it won't be a magic bullet. If the vaccine is 40, 50, 60 percent effective it will only be another tool to help limit the spread of the virus.

Thanks for pointing us to this article, @PopsnTuff.

From what I'm reading here and elsewhere, research and the scientific version of trial & error have provided docs with better, more effective treatment options. Nevertheless the virus continues to spread because avoidance is our only weapon against contracting it.

People who are generally healthy but get an unlucky spin of the COVID wheel, and people with existing health problems will continue to die or suffer long-term health consequences.

If a vaccination was the simple answer, viruses such as the common cold, flu, herpes, Epstein-Barr, AIDs among others would no longer be a problem. They are treatable but there is no vaccine.

A vaccination only affects my response to the virus. It does not change the virus itself. And if having it once does not give me immunity, I can catch it again as often as I am exposed. It has not yet been proven that having Covid-19 once provides immunity.

Sorry if I am breaking someone's rose-colored glasses. I believe these are the facts but if I can be proven wrong, I would be most grateful.

If a vaccination was the simple answer, viruses such as the common cold, flu, herpes, Epstein-Barr, AIDs among others would no longer be a problem. They are treatable but there is no vaccine.

A vaccination only affects my response to the virus. It does not change the virus itself. And if having it once does not give me immunity, I can catch it again as often as I am exposed. It has not yet been proven that having Covid-19 once provides immunity.

Sorry if I am breaking someone's rose-colored glasses. I believe these are the facts but if I can be proven wrong, I would be most grateful.
OTOH, the vaccines against smallpox, diphtheria, measles, shingles, and other infectious diseases seem to work pretty well. The tetanus one works, but has to be repeated after 10 years. Others, like the flu shot, only partially work the year they are given, because the flu virus keeps mutating.

There is no "one size fits all" answer to this problem. Scientists are working days and night to try to find at least a way of slowing it down. And they will keep testing, studying, and improving the vaccine as time goes on. That's how medical science works.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-52530518

The PM has tightened the rules concerning Covid 19 and has stated that they may continue for 6 months and futher restrictions may be put in place if people do not adhere to the rules. So clearly for him and his advisors its eradication is not in the foreseeable future.
Thanks for this link. It's interesting to see exactly what guidelines, mandates and restrictions are in force in other countries.

Thanks for this link. It's interesting to see exactly what guidelines, mandates and restrictions are in force in other countries.
Thanks @StarSong Yes it's always interesting to see how other countries are dealing with the Covid 19 and wouldn't it be a good idea if all countries got together and shared the ideas for a positive outcome? Even in the UK there are rule differences between Scotland, Wales and England. Guess it's the same for you across the states?? Much comment has been made about the way Sweden has handled Covid 19 and I believe they have not sought the lockdown that we have undergone. It has been asked why 'we' did not follow the way Sweden has handled the virus in radio interviews etc. Sorry haven't got a link this time to answer that question.
Why oh why do countries not get together to use their knowledge to make a better world? I'm just reflecting on the fact that what may be banned in one country e.g (chemicals, pharmaceutical drugs etc ) is ok in another. Doesn't make sense to me. To eradicate this virus, in my view, requires a global collective response in consideration of all the detrimental aspects of this virus. Just some thoughts :)

Well said. Anyone who is able to get past the fear & think will be breaking someone's rose-colored glasses.....as we've seen. :)

OTOH, the vaccines against smallpox, diphtheria, measles, shingles, and other infectious diseases seem to work pretty well. The tetanus one works, but has to be repeated after 10 years. Others, like the flu shot, only partially work the year they are given, because the flu virus keeps mutating.

There is no "one size fits all" answer to this problem. Scientists are working days and night to try to find at least a way of slowing it down. And they will keep testing, studying, and improving the vaccine as time goes on. That's how medical science works.
The vaccine for Shingles seem to work pretty well? That's funny; attorneys are handling cases for people who got Shingles after getting the vaccine.

Well said. Anyone who is able to get past the fear & think will be breaking someone's rose-colored glasses.....as we've seen. :)

Win and Annie, I had the new shingles vaccine in mind when I wrote that. Are you aware that there is a new one? It came out this year, and requires two shots a few months apart, and is supposed to be vastly superior to the original one. I've had both shots; nothing to it, no side effects at all.

Shingrix is 97% effective at preventing herpes zoster (shingles) in folks over 50 whereas the (older) Zostavax shot is 50-64% effective in preventing shingles in those 50-70 and even lower for those over 70. Shingrix also stays effective for longer.

And once again, that's how science works. When something better comes along, we use it. Why not?

The problem with posting anything about POTUS is that the thread could become very politically ugly in a hurry. We can watch the news stations. The topic is all over the place today. Yes, we have strong feelings, but we need to respect the rules of this website. They could shut the site down if we get out of hand. I know one that happened with on another topic.

Last edited:

Back