The thing is (my opinion on stuff as I think about it, some heavy, some light)

You left out

Big Talk

For those times when you discuss topics such as chickens-and-eggs and other metaphysical yummies.

Headache-inducing
Time-stretching
Time wasting (?)
Hunger-inducing

You left out

Big Talk

For those times when you discuss topics such as chickens-and-eggs and other metaphysical yummies.

Headache-inducing
Time-stretching
Time wasting (?)
Hunger-inducing

covered a portion of that on post #5 of this thread

but

yeah

Thing is, wherever, whatever you are, if yer content, who can knock it.

Moreover, who cares if someone knocks it.

Not talkin’ complacency.
That’s more of a concession, a give up, a roll over.

I’m talkin’ thirst quenching, frozen butt warming, plopping in a chair relieving contentment.

How to explain....

Remember when you were, say, preschool or even grade school age, and you were having the time of yer life
outside
with yer friends,
and it was getting dark,
but you could still see what you were doing?

Then you heard the telltale squeak of the screen door, and Mom calling out, ‘A-A-A-A-Albert, time to come in for s-u-u-u-pper-r-r-r’, only you pretended to not hear.

But it put a taint on yer joy.

The inevitable ‘do I need to git yer father, young man?’ was coming..

I’m outside

Having the time of my life

And at my age, it’s getting dark.

But I can still see what I’m doing.

Nobodies calling

...that I can hear (not pretending).

Turnin' on the porch light....go towards the light Gary O'
can't

still gas in the tank

VAcmEUa.jpg

Note to self; try harder not to make enemies, I know its fun, but you’ve got plenty.

Maybe if one dies off, you can let what yer thinking loose on the next one that pops up.

For now, try just shutting the f…. up, next urge, like that really cool ol’ guy you like so well.

And when that ignoramus twentysomething starts shooting his mouth off about how you should do things, maybe, just maybe you won’t run him off before he actually learns something…..

....maybe

Data

I often wondered
Why do coaches argue a call?
It’s done
Over
A waste of time, my (viewer’s) time

It was for leverage
…for the next call

Statisticians, those nervous little guys that use an adding machine with the dexterity of a surgeon, compile data that influences huge conglomerates in major decision making
and really cool graphs to determine trends, marketing window trends

This influenced me in whether or not to give feedback to those providing service
Especially after reading that 200 replies represent 1000s of non replies
This all seems very important these days
Since everthing is so ‘time sensitive’, and feedback is data

So, of an evening, I often drop a flowery note in their little on line places they provide

Wunner whatever happened to the word ‘logic’

HOTLINES

Gary, I don't do surveys...they are a waste of my time. I like to call the product hotline phone numbers ....on the package....in tiny numbers.
a90878d405e651ba2c6852fa3a22f261--free-vector-art-retro-illustration.jpg
I called about how it was impossible to open the plastic bag inside the box of raisin bran...I think it was Post or Kellogg's ...not sure now. It was made of thin,slippery plastic film, and had 3 or 4 lines of heat sealing along the top. I could not open it without the bag bursting and tearing. (this happened twice). I asked if anyone there ever picked up a box and tried to open it? She couldn't answer that one.

I called about Cinnamon Crunch. The card board was so thin, that after it was opened, you couldn't use the tab and slot on to hold it closed.
The top of the box as round instead of flat.

I called about small garbage bags that came with "twist ties".....there were strips of yellow plastic inside with the bags.....but there WERE NO WIRES in the yellow strips! Their logic was "since no one uses the ties, they left the wires out"!

The joke is that they cannot pass along the complaint without my name and address. After I give it to them, they want to send me a coupon for this defective product. I find it very satisfying to be able to vent.

HOTLINES

Gary, I don't do surveys...they are a waste of my time. I like to call the product hotline phone numbers ....on the package....in tiny numbers.
View attachment 51706
I called about how it was impossible to open the plastic bag inside the box of raisin bran...I think it was Post or Kellogg's ...not sure now. It was made of thin,slippery plastic film, and had 3 or 4 lines of heat sealing along the top. I could not open it without the bag bursting and tearing. (this happened twice). I asked if anyone there ever picked up a box and tried to open it? She couldn't answer that one.

I called about Cinnamon Crunch. The card board was so thin, that after it was opened, you couldn't use the tab and slot on to hold it closed.
The top of the box as round instead of flat.

I called about small garbage bags that came with "twist ties".....there were strips of yellow plastic inside with the bags.....but there WERE NO WIRES in the yellow strips! Their logic was "since no one uses the ties, they left the wires out"!

The joke is that they cannot pass along the complaint without my name and address. After I give it to them, they want to send me a coupon for this defective product. I find it very satisfying to be able to vent.

Do you get a human?

Confrontation

Head on

Used to relish it
Look for it
Wait for it…in bars, mostly
Too long ago….not long enough to forget, I sat at the Hello Bar, Houston, minding my own business, sipping, trying to focus on a face in the mirror behind the bar.
Folks playing nine ball, pinball bowling, shuffleboard
Next thing I know, folks are pulling me off a guy
Guess he decided to see what’d happen if he swung for the fences, hitting the back of my head with the thick end of a pool cue
I didn’t remember anything
Once outa the city cooler, I looked him up
Finished our disagreement
Broken bones, both hands
Felt good

Got older
One lives long enough, one comes to be a bit cooler in temperament
Seething, no longer attractive
Avoiding, trying to get along thoughts, preoccupying potential confrontational situations

Climbed an exec ladder by just arguing sensibly with unreasonable reasoning
Got paid to do this
Got good at it
Proud
Adversaries couldn’t compete
Took it upon myself to argue with anyone
Folks became bitter enemies while Satan patted me on the back

Got even older
Came to the realization, confrontation, hate mongering, fault finding can get along all by their selves, circling the globe….a sorta proof of perpetual motion

Still
There’s times
Temptations
All in the name of reason
I do not like myself to still want to take part
It no longer feels good

The unreasonable expose themselves without any of my help

I’ll do my best to contain myself to just my threads for awhile

I’ve known some writers, good ones
Sat at their feet
Sipped ancient alcohol with a few
But
Reading these guys has been the most pleasure
When one can select words, to form an opinion
Of a subject of great controversy
And lay down thoughts so precise, so direct, yet word it so one cannot in any way refute, or rebut without looking a fool
Honey sweat words, words yer gramma might use
Sometimes in the form of a question

but brutally pointed

Well, it’s a pleasure

Last edited:
Pal, you are describing a Wordsmith...or better still, a Wordwright. Someone who builds with words. A craftsman, who works with words. I like that!

c92ef5702c2a4ff58326f2f578f04be2.jpg

cropped-great-writer-1920x1080.jpg

Pal, you are describing a Wordsmith...or better still, a Wordwright. Someone who builds with words. A craftsman, who works with words. I like that!

The thing that even surpasses the smiths and the wrights is their mastery to touch every heart, every side of the subject for at least that precious moment of initial comprehension of what they've just read,
causing even bitterly sworn enemies to look toward each other and nod

So I’ve been in this ‘savor the moment’ thing since before retirement (retirement makes it too easy)

And, on occasion, I share my thoughts with my bride
We already know each other like well read books, but on occasion we show each other a new wrinkle, of which, well, we’ve got some doozies cropping up by the minute, actual wrinkles, real beauts

Anyway

She has this urge to reminisce about old times, not the good old times, specifically bad events, somewhat reliving the moment
Hey, it’s a trait.
We’ve all got traits
I listen
Watch
Wait
Make coffee
Of late I’ve been given to mention how reliving a horrible past brings it into the present, inviting it for dinner, wasting gorgeous days, perfect nights….etc…etc…blah….blah…blather…blather

but

after a few days of nursing me and my ear issues (putting up with me)….she told me today, she got it

we’re of an age where there just aren’t that many perfect one’s to waste

we did some savoring today, on the way to see the doc…and on the way back, savoring…together

Backing off on voicing what I think
It seems to inhibit those in ear shot
I’d much rather listen
It’s selfish, but I get more

Why?

Because I already know what I think
...and need to know where others are coming from

Helps me make more sound decisions

ej0gPDh.png

I'm also getting confused about where to post right now - hang on I'll just pop along to another thread and then maybe be back OR instantly threaded?

Back