Time To "Step Up"And Get On The Soup Box!

img_0108.jpg

I guess it's time for this thread to reappear. However...it was 96 here today. We're a long way from soup weather here, more's the pity, but I've started thinking about which soup to make first when the weather gets cooler. Mexican potato soup with cornbread? Steak soup with homemade wheat bread? Veggie soup with onion bread? Refried bean soup with cornbread? Soup!

Somebody remind me in January or Feb-u-dreary when I'm whining that it's too long until spring that in August September I was longing for cool weather.

I'd forgotten about bean soup. I make navy bean soup using the bone from our New Year's ham. Gosh, now that the g'kids are gone (most of the time!), I wonder what our traditional big holiday meals will be? If we get something like a small Cure81 ham, there won't be a bone. Hm. Good thing there's plenty of time between now and the new year to "hatch a plot," as my daddy used to say.

Ode to Soup....🥣

"Do you have a kinder, more adaptable friend in the food world than soup? Who soothes you when you are ill? Who refuses to leave you when you are impoverished and stretches its resources to give you a hearty sustenance and cheer? Who warms you in the winter and cools you in the summer? Yet who is also capable of doing honor to your richest table and impressing your most demanding guests?…Soup does its loyal best, no matter what undignified conditions are imposed upon it. You don’t catch steak hanging around when you’re poor and sick, do you?"
~Judith Martin (aka Miss Manners), etiquette columnist

Back