To chat about my surgery

Marie5656

My hip replacement is on May 24th, so I will use this spot to document my journey. I will get a call the day before to tell me what time to go the hospital. My niece is driving me. Che can come in to get me through check in, but then she will have to leave the hospital until I am out and in my room. Then she can come back.
Luckily, I live very near the hospital..mile and a half or so. So she can come back to my apartment to wait if she wants.
Baring something unforseen, I will be released on the 25th. Julie will be unavailable to pick me up..but one of my friends here told me to call her, as there are a couple people here who said they will draw straws or something to see who wins a chance to bring me home.
We have a wheelchair in the storeroom, so my friend can use it to get me up stairs, and then bring it back down

Today I had to separate my Melatonin and my prescription pain med away, as I have to stop both. I can take Tylenol. I have a post op visit on June 7th. By then I will be cleared to drive, so I can take myself.
I will have a Physical Therapist coming out..not sure how often, but probably an hour visit each time.
I have already been told to walk as much as I am comfortable, but they encourage I have someone with me walking outside, and to wear my "I've fallen and I can't get up button AT ALL TIMES!

Not surgery related...but I am going out tomorrow (Saturday) to buy my new tv. Many more apps and extras on this for my viewing pleasure during recovery.

Last edited:
Wishing you an easy and smooth surgery experience. So happy you have Julie helping out and the friends where you live. Glad you're taking all the precautions with your medications and supplements. Hope you get a nice TV tomorrow that you really like, you're smart to buy that and get it set up before your hospital visit. Hugs.

Ditto on the good wishes! Let us know what type of TV you buy since we all weighed in, and by all means keep us updated on your recovery. Fingers crossed for the best possible outcome!
I will do that on the TV. I will take a picture of it....no worries. you are right. making decision with a little help from my friends. There is a sweet old guy here who actually presented me a list of brands to look at

Wishing you the best.
I've never had anything replaced, but I have several friends who have had knees & hips replaced. They walk very well & don't have trouble climbing 14 stairs when they come to my house for diabetes support group meetings.
They all said the same thing - "Your results depend greatly on your therapy."

Best of luck - Good Luck Card (Free) | Greetings Island

Wishing you the best.
I've never had anything replaced, but I have several friends who have had knees & hips replaced. They walk very well & don't have trouble climbing 14 stairs when they come to my house for diabetes support group meetings.
They all said the same thing - "Your results depend greatly on your therapy."
win231 is right. Good physio is the way to go. A heated pool is a wonderful way to keep moving when you don't want to put too much weight on the operated leg. Accept pain relief until you no longer need it (3 - 5 weeks after the op)

Keep moving and use a walking aid to prevent falls until you regain stability and balance.
Learn to walk naturally. Tighten your butt muscles to stabilise the joint.

Be patient. Healing takes time.

Back