Unvaccinated Djokovic Allowed into Australia by Mistake

I said before that many like him, but lots want him out
of the country for not following the rules, rules that have
been in place for a long time.

If he was a nice person and apologised things might have
been looked at differently, but he is arrogant, I hear so he
is not inclined to admit that he made a mistake, or did he,
Tennis Australia, said if you have recently had covid you
can come, but there seems to be no proof.

Now there are fears in Australia, that if he is allowed to play,
then they are expecting riots in the stands at the event!
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/s...iolence-stands-Novak-Djokovic-freed-play.html
Hopefully, they are wrong.

Mike.

I clicked the link and Hendrix said "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace"

What you been smokin' girl? :)
I don't smoke, although it's legal here. No interest.

The original in this thread said:
"When the love of power becomes the power of love, the world will know peace."
Hendrix said:
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."

Just thought I'd add it, that's all.

We are kinda getting off topic but I am confused ( as usual ) I started with the quote then you added
"When the love of power overcomes the power of love, the world will know peace." Hendrix would never say that. :)

He said ""When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace"

Ok were finished I hope....:)

Tennis star Novak Djokovic has admitted there were mistakes on his immigration forms and to meeting a journalist despite testing positive for Covid, as Australia mulls deporting him.

Djokovic made the admissions in an Instagram post to clarify "ongoing misinformation" about his movements.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-59935127

• Djokovic admitted attending event with children while he was Covid positive
  • 34-year-old said he didn't know he was infected until shortly after the event
  • But then admitted conducting an in-person interview knowing he was positive
  • Added lawyers ticked wrong box about his travel before landing in Melbourne

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ormation-hes-dogged-questions-Covid-test.html

The apple did not fall far from the tree.

Tennis star Novak Djokovic has admitted there were mistakes on his immigration forms and to meeting a journalist despite testing positive for Covid, as Australia mulls deporting him.

Djokovic made the admissions in an Instagram post to clarify "ongoing misinformation" about his movements.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-59935127

• Djokovic admitted attending event with children while he was Covid positive
  • 34-year-old said he didn't know he was infected until shortly after the event
  • But then admitted conducting an in-person interview knowing he was positive
  • Added lawyers ticked wrong box about his travel before landing in Melbourne

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ormation-hes-dogged-questions-Covid-test.html

The apple did not fall far from the tree.
I don't know what you mean by that last sentence. I still hope he plays the Australian open. Since when did Australia become the covid police agency of the world? Besides, the ATP and Tennis Australia will lose a ton of money of he is not allowed to play and they cannot afford that.

Novak Djokovic could face a fine or even prison in Serbia after admitting to knowingly breaking isolation laws after testing positive for Covid-19 last month, lawyers have reportedly claimed.

The Serbian prime minister, who had been supportive of Djokovic’s battle to stay in Australia, has also warned his behaviour appears to have been “a clear breach” of the rules.

The world No.1 is currently preparing for the Australian Open, which starts on Monday, having won his appeal to have his visa reinstated and be released from detention in Melbourne.

After pictures of Djokovic surfaced in the days after his positive test on social media, the Serbian acknowledged his did break isolation laws in what he admitted was “an error of judgment”.

An announcement is expected from the Minister for Immigration given that the draw for the Australian Open is due out in less than 2 hours. It is an each way bet that his visa will be revoked and that he will be deported tonight.

Each way, because the government is carefully watching public reaction before making a decision.
If they do nothing today, they will probably use ministerial authority to allow him to stay and compete.

This whole matter is a circus and the reality is that all of our governments have much more important and pressing problems to handle.

EDIT - It looks like the Spanish authorities have questions for him as well

Spanish inquisition: Djokovic's travels before Australia under fresh investigation (msn.com)

Last edited:
His lawyers are hoping for an emergency injunction but that may not be enough to stop him being returned to immigration detention.

Novak Djokovic's visa cancelled, throwing Australian Open draw into chaos​

Anthony Galloway and Paul Sakkal
57 mins ago
http://a.msn.com/01/en-au/AASLKpw?ocid=sf
Novak Djokovic could be forced to leave the country within hours after Immigration Minister Alex Hawke used his personal power to cancel the Serbian tennis star's visa, as his lawyers prepare to file an immediate injunction against the decision.

The move has thrown the tennis world no.1's quest for a 10th Australian Open into turmoil with the tournament to begin on Monday.

Mr Hawke said on Friday he had used his power under section 133C(3) of the Migration Act to cancel the visa held by Djokovic "on health and good order grounds, on the basis that it was in the public interest to do so".

"This decision followed orders by the Federal Circuit and Family Court on 10 January 2022, quashing a prior cancellation decision on procedural fairness grounds," he said. "In making this decision, I carefully considered information provided to me by the Department of Home Affairs, the Australian Border Force and Mr Djokovic. The Morrison government is firmly committed to protecting Australia's borders, particularly in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic."

The personal powers granted to the immigration minister to cancel visas are extremely broad.
If Djokovic doesn't successfully appeal the decision, the laws dictate that he would be banned from being granted another visa for three years - however this can be waived.

Mr Hawke took four days to make the decision after the Federal Circuit Court ordered the unvaccinated Djokovic's visa be reinstated over concerns he was not afforded enough time to get a lawyer when he arrived in Australia last week. The decision comes after the Serbian tennis star's position became increasingly untenable when he apologised for taking part in a media interview while knowingly positive with COVID-19.

A source close to the Australian Open defending champion, speaking anonymously to detail private planning, on Thursday said his legal team would immediately take an adverse decision by Immigration Minister Alex Hawke to court. Lawyers believe the hearing could be fast-tracked by minimising the length of written submissions and verbal evidence.

If the case does go to court, the 20-time grand slam winner's legal team hope the matter could be heard in court over the weekend and finalised by Sunday, allowing him to play a match early next week if he beats the government for a second time.

The case would go back to Federal Circuit Court Judge Anthony Kelly for a hearing, but it is then likely to be referred upstairs to the Federal Court. Sources confirmed there was a justice on standby to hear the case.

Djokovic came to the country on the basis that he contracted COVID-19 in December, arguing prior infection of the virus in the past six months was a valid exemption for being unvaccinated. But the federal government always disputed his arguments, saying Tennis Australia was warned players in his position would not be allowed into the country.

Djokovic on Wednesday apologised for an error of judgment for taking part in a media interview a day after receiving a positive test result and admitted that his Australian Travel Declaration form incorrectly stated he had not travelled in the 14 days prior to arriving in Australia despite being in Spain.

In a lengthy post on Instagram, Djokovic said he received a positive result on the night of December 17 after submitting the test the day before. But in his sworn court affidavit Djokovic said he was "tested and diagnosed" on December 16.

Djokovic said he "felt obliged" to go ahead and conduct an interview with French media organisation L'Equipe on December 18 because he "didn't want to let the journalist down, but did ensure I socially distanced and wore a mask except when my photograph was being taken".

"While I went home after the interview to isolate for the required period, on reflection, this was an error of judgement [sic] and I accept that I should have rescheduled this commitment," he said.

Djokovic said he was making the social media post to address the "continuing misinformation about my activities and attendance at events in December in the lead up to my positive PCR COVID test result".

n recent days, the Department of Home Affairs' investigation into the tennis star widened to include his breach of isolation requirements in Serbia, the incorrect statements on his travel entry form and inconsistencies on the date of his COVID-19 test.

Link - Novak Djokovic's visa cancelled, throwing Australian Open draw into chaos (msn.com)

He is out.

No one is above the law.

Respect the rules of your host country.

Just get vaccinated
He was not deported because he posed a physical threat to anyone. So the "get vaccinated" argument doesn't cut it. He was deported because his opinions might inspire "civil unrest". In other words, some Australians might have been motivated by Djokovic to disobey their tyrannical government, and Australia which is no longer even pretending to be a democracy, would not tolerate that. Total control over a population = totalitarianism. That's what Australia is now. Who wants anything to do with a country where you are persecuted for your opinions. Anyone with a functioning mind can see the danger in this.

Let Australia reach 100% vaccination. And when the virus is still surging, we will have a conversation.

He was not deported because he posed a physical threat to anyone. So the "get vaccinated" argument doesn't cut it. He was deported because his opinions might inspire "civil unrest". In other words, some Australians might have been motivated by Djokovic to disobey their tyrannical government, and Australia which is no longer even pretending to be a democracy, would not tolerate that. Total control over a population = totalitarianism. That's what Australia is now. Who wants anything to do with a country where you are persecuted for your opinions. Anyone with a functioning mind can see the danger in this.

Let Australia reach 100% vaccination. And when the virus is still surging, we will have a conversation.

You don't have to worry about coming here Chic - they won't let you fly in the Oz air space, let alone land in the country without double vax
:D:D:D:D

There is nothing democratic about border security and immigration law, here in Australia or in any other independent country. The law is the law and must be obeyed, or you cannot enter.

The laws for citizens are quite different to those that apply to aliens wanting to enter Australia just as they are different in US., or UK, or Turkey, or EU etc, etc.

Breaking news. Djokovic's troubles are only going to get worse.

French Open vaccination mandate to leave Djokovic title race in ruins​

January 17, 2022

The Australian Open may not be the only Novak Djokovic-less event in 2022 after a contradiction limited his options for a 21st grand slam.

All athletes who wish to compete in France will have to be vaccinated against Covid-19, government sources told AFP on Monday. This appears to contradict what Sports Minister Roxana Maracineanu said last week, that certain events like the French Open had a special exemption, when asked whether Novak Djokovic could play in the tournament.

For ordinary citizens entering France it is not obligatory to be vaccinated but will be for those wishing to enter an establishment which has a public attendance (ERP). Major events like the French Open previously permitted non vaccinated athletes to compete as they operated a health bubble round the tournament.

“The rule is simple. The vaccine pass will be imposed, as soon as the law is promulgated, in establishments that were already subject to the health pass,” the ministry said. “This will apply to everyone who is a spectator or a professional sportsperson. And this until further notice.

“Now, as far as Roland Garros is concerned, it’s in May. The situation may change between now and then and we hope that it will be more favourable. So we’ll see, but clearly there’s no exemption.”

It comes after Maracineanu told radio station France Info that Djokovic would be able to come in as it was a major event.

“There are health protocols imposed for major events by the relevant federations which would permit someone like Novak Djokovic to enter the country,” Ms Maracineanu said. “In France today we do not have the same regulations as Australia for entry to the country, either for athletes or any citizens from other countries.

“An athlete who is unvaccinated can compete in an event because the protocol, the health bubble for these major events, permits that,” Ms Maracineanu added that she hoped the situation would be clearer by May, when the French Open is scheduled to get underway.

“We hope there will be no need for such measures by then.”

The French Open isn’t set to be held until May 23-June 5. The first major event to be directly affected would be the upcoming Six Nations rugby championship when France will host Italy (Feb 6), Ireland (Feb 12) and England (March 19).

This measure would dash 34-year-old Djokovic’s hopes of defending the title and potentially an unprecedented 21st Grand Slam singles crown. Rafael Nadal could move one ahead of him and Roger Federer if he wins the Australian Open.

Djokovic’s dreams of playing in it were dashed on Sunday when he was deported from Australia over his coronavirus vaccination status.

Djokovic’s hopes of a Grand Slam success in 2022 would then rest on Wimbledon as New York vaccination rules would rule him out of the US Open.

Tennis 2022: French Open, vaccination mandate, backflip, Novak Djokovic grand slam titles, 21, deportation | news.com.au — Australia’s leading news site

Might be banned from tournament play for three years as of 1/17/2022 news
That's not set in stone. If he meets visa requirements next year, whatever they happen to be at that time, I'm pretty sure the Immigration Minister of the day will not enforce that possibility. We have an election this year (May at the latest) and could have a change of government by then but even if not, I reckon it would be politically expedient to be magnanimous.

Back