Wales is not the place to be...

we have lost Major stores which have been part of of British life for decades.. all this year.. Department stores to hundred of smaller stores... and hundreds of pubs all directly caused from the lockdown due to Covid-19..that is fact.!

This country will never be the same... this is the whole UK I'm talking about now, including Wales..
I believe you. I am sure different parts of our country, like New York City, experience the same. But not as much here, where I am.

my daughter is self employed and needs to travel from her home all around Andalucia as part of her job on a daily basis .She had to spend hours in a week to get printed permissions to be in various parts of her area.. and if the police were to find her in a different area to her permission.. say veered off to the supermarket in a different town on the way home..she would have faced stiff penalties.
Anyone who didn't work outside the home was not permitted to leave their home for exercise until after 6pm and then only permitted to walk one kilometre
That must have been very difficult for her and the people in that area.

Most US areas temporarily closed schools and non-essential businesses, plus required mask/distancing rules, but that's about it.

Hardware stores (including those that sold large appliances), auto repair shops, grocery stores, drug stores & pharmacies, banks, restaurant take-out food, and others that I can't bring to mind remained open, even during the strictest of our safer-at-home periods.

So I guess I shouldn't judge too harshly about Wales because it appears their closure is far more stringent than anything I've experienced.

my daughter is self employed and needs to travel from her home all around Andalucia as part of her job on a daily basis .She had to spend hours in a week to get printed permissions to be in various parts of her area.. and if the police were to find her in a different area to her permission.. say veered off to the supermarket in a different town on the way home..she would have faced stiff penalties.
Anyone who didn't work outside the home was not permitted to leave their home for exercise until after 6pm and then only permitted to walk one kilometre

Very very stressful, people lived in fear of the police..
In fear of the police or the fines? Or both? Why were they afraid of the police?

@hollydolly They have always been extreme .. and by the sound of it, still are. Hubs has some stories of his travels through Spain in his younger days.
I didn't know that about Spain, but have to say my first time in a Mexican port was eye-opening. Very young men (they looked like teenagers) armed to the hilt. Machine guns and more. It was shocking. Still the same the last time I was on a cruise ship that docked in Mexico some 5-6 years ago.

Heavily armed police can be extremely intimidating, even for those of us who live on the right side of the law.

In the days and weeks that followed the 911 attacks, the National Guard building directly across the street from my office had guardsmen patrolling our shared parking lot all day.

Our lunchtime picnic tables were right there. Guardsmen holding rifles walked up and down, and all over he place. Not all of them pointed their weapons downward. I found myself staring directly into the barrel of one.

Yes, scary as heck. I stayed in after that.

I know we're discussing Wales here... but just as an aside.. Governments certainly can and do and have enforced the rules of where you're permitted to go. I know first hand in Spain for example during the lockdown, to go anywhere further than your immediate local area, you have to have written permission.. proof of a doctors appointment etc.. and drivers are stopped very regularly for proof, without which you will be fined heavily

Yes, but you are talking about WHERE people are permitted to go, whereas I was talking about for what purpose. Furryanimal says in Wales, they are only allowed to leave their homes for shopping or to access medical services. I have no idea how that "distance" thing is implemented, or what the penalty is for violation. But what the original note in this thread is clearly saying is that people can only leave their homes for those two reasons, period. Going out to visit with the next door neighbor would be against the law?

We are talking about children. Draconian punishments mystify me because they're so, well, punitive. Not helpful, not edifying, not a life lesson. Punitive.

Why would anyone punish children so drastically for being the immature creatures we know them to be? After all, the adults in charge have presumably had years of child development education plus hands-on experience. They KNOW children are impulsive, ego-centric and have difficulty with delayed gratification.

We teach our children not to cross the street without looking both ways, but because we know that chasing after a ball may distract them from that lesson, we have reduced speed limits in school zones and crossing guards at the intersections. We tell them that medicine isn't candy, but the law nevertheless requires child-proof caps. We tell them to say away from the pool but fence around it just in case. We tell them to stay away from alcohol but the long arm of the law much more heavily punishes the clerk and store who sells it to minors.

Why? Because adults know better.

Bottom line, if schools cannot be safely opened, then they should remain closed. If reopenings fail, those failures belong to the administrators, not the students.

Bravo! Well said, Starry.

Back